• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mtjansse

Fur buyers, coyotes and wolves

mtjansse

I have a question before I start getting into Predator hunting. I got a lot of wolf and coyote activity near my camp and before I get after them I am wondering if there are steps or procedures in what to do after you get a fur bearing animal. Do hunters typically give them to local trappers if they do not intend to skin and process the hide themselves? I have spoken to Albertan hunters that sell their wolves to fur buyers but I have not heard of these in Thunder Bay. Any advice or wisdom would be appreciated. 

MtBaldyHillbilly

I have wolf walking around my outdoor boiler.. 50ft from the house. Have had prints on my front step some years back. I intend to get my trappers license and hopefully get some pelts.... but with this covid mess... 

mtjansse

You going to try and skin and process the hides yourself? Im curious what predator hunters do with their furs f they dont skin themselves. Otherwise I have to learn myself i guess

Just a warning for the faint of heart, coyote and wolf are absolutely appalling seconds after they are dead. They instantly begin to rot, they take HOURS to prep and ive been told wolves don't go for much around here because their colours. Id contact a trapper and set something up, if you've never skinned a wolf before... Good luck... Ive been smart enough to never delve into the canine realm. Most of the other critters don't smell too bad. 

• Thanks 1

MtBaldyHillbilly

I have heard they are putrid to deal with. Cigs in the nose help? Trappers seem to be a  dying breed though? Being a younger buck, I m willing to give it a shot. I have younger children, a dog and plans for some livestock in the future. I view it as a good idea to deal with some predator problems before I have major calamity. Plus the avg price for an ontario wolf pelt last year was over 300? It's not a gold rush, but helps a bit. Mostly done with the Wife fretting about....

Feldwebel Wolfenstool

I think that you are allowed to shoot only two dogs per year.  I can't see them getting classed as a nuisance animal near cottage country.  I have the impression one can't fish or hunt solely for other peoples' consumption with a sport-fishing licence.  Basically for your own consumption. You can't harvest any animal and let it go to waste.  So I imagine that applies to fur coats too.  "Before I get after them".  How many are we talking?

mtjansse
17 hours ago, Feldwebel Wolfenstool said:

I think that you are allowed to shoot only two dogs per year.  I can't see them getting classed as a nuisance animal near cottage country.  I have the impression one can't fish or hunt solely for other peoples' consumption with a sport-fishing licence.  Basically for your own consumption. You can't harvest any animal and let it go to waste.  So I imagine that applies to fur coats too.  "Before I get after them".  How many are we talking?

Yeah I see your point, I am new to predator hunting and want to hunt them legally and not as a nuisance, I just know that fur buyers out west can buy them from hunters so I am curious about if anyone has experience with this. I have no knowledge of the fur processing or what wolf hunters typically do with these dogs. As of now im spotting at least a pack of 6, but who knows how many in total. Any advice from experience wolf hunters is always appreciated. 

Mooseman682

Our local price on wolves is traditionally low do to size and colour phases same on the coyotes....BE WARNED they smell like the devil’s armpit minutes after expiring even frozen it’s a rough go if your accustomed to it....don’t skin them in any clothes you want back ever again

Thefishleclair
On 2/10/2021 at 12:40 PM, MtBaldyHillbilly said:

I have heard they are putrid to deal with. Cigs in the nose help? Trappers seem to be a  dying breed though? Being a younger buck, I m willing to give it a shot. I have younger children, a dog and plans for some livestock in the future. I view it as a good idea to deal with some predator problems before I have major calamity. Plus the avg price for an ontario wolf pelt last year was over 300? It's not a gold rush, but helps a bit. Mostly done with the Wife fretting about....

Wolves aint bad to skin, If left to turn Green Belly then yes....

$300 Average a pelt  Please let me know where these were selling! Ill start targeting them more on my trap lines and pile em up.

If you have a good chunk of land sign a trapper to it, Shooting nuisance critters then selling the hides would be against the law if I am not mistaken, One could say you claim them as nuisance but profit off the no tags and selling.

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

MtBaldyHillbilly
On 6/6/2021 at 3:15 PM, Thefishleclair said:

Wolves aint bad to skin, If left to turn Green Belly then yes....

$300 Average a pelt  Please let me know where these were selling! Ill start targeting them more on my trap lines and pile em up.

If you have a good chunk of land sign a trapper to it, Shooting nuisance critters then selling the hides would be against the law if I am not mistaken, One could say you claim them as nuisance but profit off the no tags and selling.

I believe I read the $300 wolf pelt price on the reported sales summary. Or the trappers association. Didn't end up getting the course done yet due to the general covid situation. If I m shooting nuisance, it's because they loitered in my front yard long enough for me get everything unlocked. Wouldn't sell the nuisance shot pelts.