• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
PajamaSquirrel

Crown Land Camping Closed (Again??)

PajamaSquirrel

I was just reading on the OFAH website https://www.ofah.org/covid19closures/ and their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/theOFAH/ that they have posted the Ontario government is again restricting access to Crown land camping as part of new measures to curb Covid-19.  

This "news" confused me.  I checked the site where all Ontario news announcements are posted daily and found nothing and nothing either in more mainstream media.  The OFAH posts were definitely made today, and their link to the announcement on camping restrictions is genuine, but does not carry a date.  I'm thinking this is the news from last year.  The link through to the EMCPA does indeed take you to the Regulation that was made last year, but was revoked on June 1, 2020.

So is this fake news?  Is it unintentional news, or perhaps they have been hacked?  At first this was very concerning, but I think someone at the OFAH has made a mistake.

UPDATE:  Oh, oh - now it looks legit.  This from MNRF -  https://twitter.com/ONresources/status/1382786532688465923  Prohibited as of April 16, 2021 at midnight.

fishingfinn

I understand closing public campgrounds....but closing camping on crown land, in the middle of nowhere, away from large crowds of people does absolutely nothing to "stop the spread."  This is getting beyond ridiculous, all common sense has been thrown away.  

• Like 2

Kayaker

Not just crown.land........

Crown land camping prohibited effective immediately due to COVID-19

Updated April 15, 2021

You can read the full announcement here, though an outline of the closure notice shared online by the government states the following:

Recreational camping is prohibited on public land, including Crown land until further notice. This is to stop the spread of the COVID-19 virus and protect the health and well-being of Ontarians.

Under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act, you cannot:

• camp for recreational purposes on public (Crown) land administered by Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry under the Public Lands Act
  • occupy tents or other camping structures, such as trailers, recreational vehicles and watercraft equipped for overnight accommodation. 

PajamaSquirrel
34 minutes ago, Kayaker said:

Under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act, you cannot:

• camp for recreational purposes on public (Crown) land administered by Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry under the Public Lands Act
  • occupy tents or other camping structures, such as trailers, recreational vehicles and watercraft equipped for overnight accommodation. 

That link leads you to a Regulation made under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act that has been revoked.  O.Reg 142/20, the closure of public lands for recreational camping is no longer in effect.  I'm not saying the government isn't prohibiting Crown land camping again, but it is not through that Regulation.  Statutes and Regulations made under Ontario Statutes must be printed in the Ontario Gazette and I see nothing published as of April 15/21.  Maybe tomorrow?

Mr. Canoehead

Anyone know if hunting and fishing is still permitted with the new restrictions announced today?

Bobber Down
13 hours ago, Mr. Canoehead said:

Anyone know if hunting and fishing is still permitted with the new restrictions announced today?

No mention about more restrictions on fishing or hunting. They are still classed as outdoor exercise. Restrictions on size of social gatherings is at 5 people from the same household. Not sure what families of 6 or more will do. Keep a kid in the closet? The golfers must be peed off. Golfing is well under way down in dougie country. 

Residents must remain at home at all times, with exceptions for essential purposes, such as going to the grocery store or pharmacy, accessing health care services, for exercise or for essential work.

Outdoor gatherings limited

Starting Saturday, all outdoor social gatherings and organized public events will be prohibited, except for members of the same household. A person who lived alone could join one other household.

All outdoor recreational amenities such as golf courses, basketball courts and playgrounds, will be closed.

• Thanks 1

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Fishog

I live alone, anyone who has a fantastic fishing spot and needs company hit me up. Don't worry even if I tell your secret spot no one can go there. 😆

• Haha 1

naden

The province has now back tracked on closing playgrounds, soccer fields basketball courts etc. Also backtracked on granting police special powers to pull over people and question why they are not at home

tna0066

My 2 cents on this...These idiotic decisions are made for those in Southern ON.

Regardless of how long they try to keep this going, it will not stop myself and my kids from heading out onto crown land to enjoy it.  I'm not trying to sound stupid here, i just firmly believe in land based activities and as such, will not stop this because Toronto can't get their act together.

PajamaSquirrel

So I just checked elaws, and yes they did indeed pass a new Regulation under the EMCPA - O.Reg 288/21 Closure of Public Lands for Recreational Camping  https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/210288?search=emergency+management+and+civil+protection+act

This order is revoked on May 5, 2021, unless it is extended.   Day use of Crown Land is still permitted - e.g. fishing

forkhorn

So order was extended? I see its May 19th! 

Melinda

was just up at East Bay Dog lake AKA Pace lk road and there was over 15 trailers on crown land ???? WTF why are some allowed and not others???

naden
10 hours ago, Melinda said:

was just up at East Bay Dog lake AKA Pace lk road and there was over 15 trailers on crown land ???? WTF why are some allowed and not others???

The crown land camping ban wasn’t very well advertised, if it wasn’t for this site or the OFAH I don’t think I would have heard about it. So I think some people aren’t aware and I think others just don’t care. Also not sure if it affects people who are exercising treaty rights.  

Melinda

Yes they were treaty. I get they are allowed but sign still states must be in campers from 11pm to 5am and they leave campers there all summer only come out on weekends.  Just sad they take prime spots and aren't there most times.

• Like 1