• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
fishingtbay

Grouse spots

fishingtbay

Is anyone interested in letting me know where the good grouse spots are this year :) . Been up boreal 4 times this year and only saw 2 -3 each time and never had chance ro to shoot, birds are spooked easyily .thanks 

brookiebuster

Take some of the side roads off boreal. There’s lots of small trails off the side roads that have lots of birds. The birds on boreal are super skittish. Saw lots of birds around boreal last weekend.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Zackcorbin1401

Never hunted boreal before, Up 527 is usualy good depending on traffic/time of day.

fishingtbay

What are some good roads to go up with side trails.  

Thanks 

fishingtbay
4 minutes ago, Zackcorbin1401 said:

Never hunted boreal before, Up 527 is usualy good depending on traffic/time of day.

What are some good roads to try with side roads.  Thanks 

Zackcorbin1401

Can’t give away all the secrets :). I’ve hunted as low as magone road and seen tons of birds and as far as jackfish river, birds live in between on the hundreds of roads and trails. The most key part is if you are not going far you either want to be the first one hunting the trail/road or Not see people at all. I rarely hunt after 10am, unless I’m camping those evening hunts can be great. 

fishingtbay
10 hours ago, Zackcorbin1401 said:

Can’t give away all the secrets :). I’ve hunted as low as magone road and seen tons of birds and as far as jackfish river, birds live in between on the hundreds of roads and trails. The most key part is if you are not going far you either want to be the first one hunting the trail/road or Not see people at all. I rarely hunt after 10am, unless I’m camping those evening hunts can be great. 

👍

• Like 1

Northoman

I've noticed a lot of the birds are sitting just off the road this fall. 

Try walking some of the tighter trails or driving very slooowly. 

My son and I did well up the Boreal two weeks back and also had a good time up the 527 this past weekend.

• Like 1

Peter grant

Hi Grouse are about. I was just hunting yesterday near sandstone lake I and my buddy limited out. Of course Friday we tried up 527 but the eight inches of snow beat us. Hunted near the border birds there but very spooked- makes sense lots of pressure on them. I find walking for me more productive as I can here when they take a step. Usually unable to here with driving. Benefit driving cover a lot of ground but i walk anytime I can . Of course snow cover eliminates movement noise from grouse so I don’t snow hunt much but it’s do able. 

Bobber Down

When walking trails in the winter or after a snowfall go slowwww. The grouse will use snow as a insulated blanket to keep their heat if there is only cloud cover that day. They may not be in the trees. Their entire body will be under the snow with only their head sticking up. You will be able to get super close as they are not willing to blow out of the little warming blanket they have created. You will see their head turn and eyelids blink while watching you. When you spot one take more time before you ground swat it. There might be another very close by.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

eyelander

Yes, exactly what Bobber Down is saying. I used to catch them when I was younger by slowly walking up to the small puff in the snow and putting one of my snowshoes down over it, then reaching under both sides to get hold of the wings. Caught quite a few that way, always let them go though as it was not hunting season.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance