• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest_Red_*

shotgun of choice

Guest Guest_Red_*

Hi all I am fairly new to this board I lurked around awhile and a thought next hunting season I might try

goose and duck hunting but I need to purchase a new gun I can't afford to spebd a bundle so i was wondering what makes a good all around shotgun

Thanks for your help

Red

Guest merc

Hi all I am fairly new to this board I lurked around awhile and a thought next hunting season I might try

goose and duck hunting but I need to purchase a new gun I can't afford to spebd a bundle so i was wondering what makes a good all around shotgun

Thanks for your help

Red

pump action 12 ga.--(semi's are problematic-jamming)

later models are lighter than older ones.

Can also use for grouse with the proper shot.

Merc

Guest merc

Does barrel lenght make a big difference

I do not hunt geese or ducks but know those that do---measure a remington wingmaster's barrel--that's a better known duck gun--I believe (Gonna get in trouble with the ladies here)longer is better.

Merc

Guest Big Moose

A longer barrel with a heavy choke is definatly better for geese and ducks,12 gauge mag pump is by far the shotgun of choice and most versatile I've dropped everything from grouse to 12 point monsters with mine.

SLUG'EM DOWN :D

Guest Guest

Semi autos are not necessarily problematic...

and some pump actions ARE problematic.......

I have a BPS brownning pump that is a BIG problem as a waterfowl gun...It's a Arf Arf to keep it clean with that bottom ejection....so it jams. I hate it.

Lots of waterfowlers use Benelli, Beretta, and Winchester semi autos that work like a dream because they are easy to clean....( and you have to keep a waterfowl gun clean). My beretta 391 is way more reliable than my browning pump.

The real problem with semi autos is that they are expensive...but then so are some pumps( like the 870 wingmaster that merc was talking about)

You should probably get an 870.....but the wingmaster will be an expensive gun because of the walnut and the finish.

Instead look at an 870 express. ... same action as the wingmaster but with birch instead of walnut.

WAY cheaper... just as reliable. So what if it doesn't look as good.

The 870 will NEVER fail you. It's reliable and easy to clean.

Get a 12 guage version with a 28 inch barrel ( You can get 870's in all kinds of barrel lengths but 26, 28, or 30 inch barrels are the most common ) A 28 inch barrel is perfect for waterfowl and useful for grouse ( If you want grouse then get a 20 gauge with a 26 inch barrel.)

Another thing.... You do not need a gun with a 3 1/2 inch chamber! All you will ever EVER need is a 3 inch chamber, ESPECIALLY if you buy a pump gun!

3 inch 12 gauge loads are awesome loads for waterfowl.

....ah...but that's a whole new topic...

Just thoughts...

Just thoughts.

Guest Guest

Semi autos are not necessarily problematic...

and some pump actions ARE problematic.......

I have a BPS brownning pump that is a BIG problem as a waterfowl gun...It's a Arf Arf to keep it clean with that bottom ejection....so it jams. I hate it.

Lots of waterfowlers use Benelli, Beretta, and Winchester semi autos that work like a dream because they are easy to clean....( and you have to keep a waterfowl gun clean). My beretta 391 is way more reliable than my browning pump.

The real problem with semi autos is that they are expensive...but then so are some pumps( like the 870 wingmaster that merc was talking about)

You should probably get an 870.....but the wingmaster will be an expensive gun because of the walnut and the finish.

Instead look at an 870 express. ... same action as the wingmaster but with birch instead of walnut.

WAY cheaper... just as reliable. So what if it doesn't look as good.

The 870 will NEVER fail you. It's reliable and easy to clean.

Get a 12 guage version with a 28 inch barrel ( You can get 870's in all kinds of barrel lengths but 26, 28, or 30 inch barrels are the most common ) A 28 inch barrel is perfect for waterfowl and useful for grouse ( If you want grouse then get a 20 gauge with a 26 inch barrel.)

Another thing.... You do not need a gun with a 3 1/2 inch chamber! All you will ever EVER need is a 3 inch chamber, ESPECIALLY if you buy a pump gun!

3 inch 12 gauge loads are awesome loads for waterfowl.

....ah...but that's a whole new topic...

Just thoughts...

Just thoughts.

I've had a Browning Auto five shotgun since 1977 and it never has given any trouble,when I used to waterfowl hunt I pounded hundreds of 3" shells through it and never had a jam or problem.It is recoil operated, as opposed to gas operated semi's(most common today) that work well until they are allowed to get dirty thats when the problems start.Hunters feel a little gun oil will solve the problem but it actually increases disfunction in a gas operated semi. :)