• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AB

Its all in the Eyes

AB

This is a post for the tackle crafters out there. 

When I make my own round head or ball jigs I use the powder paints with an oven cure to help the paint last. I never bother to put eyes on those jigs. I know there are days when a jig with eyes seems to outproduce the same color jig without them. But in the back yard tackle manufacturing shop I never bother to get that fancy. That's what the tackle store is there for.

I just got some beautiful 4/0 torpedo head jigs, perfect for tying up some custom jig flies with. What is the best way to get some eyes on them? I'd like to do a nice two color job with them, like a white or yellow iris with a black pupil. 

Is there a way to use the powder paint to do it, or am I best to do a base with the powder, and then use the vinyl paints to do the artistic work on the eyes? 

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

AB

Thefishleclair

Go get fine point markers. and a jar of nail hardner. i just draw a small circle for back colour. then dot the pupil. let it dry. few seconds. dip yer nail brush and clean as much drip off. then give em s quick brush. 

its how i do it. 

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Sageboy

I haven't made jig heads for years but when I did they didn't have powder paint so I used the regular vinyl paint. When it came to the eyes I just used a Q Tip and dabbed into the paint of my colour choosing and made the eye, let dry and dip in nail polish and let it harden. I don't know how this would work with powder paint though.

Snag???

Same for myself, sure if you were to google or goon YouTube there may be some pro tips out there. If not looks like others may peak you’re interest thanks to the site. Sure whatever you choose will work out just fine. Good luck.

Bear

Take a pencil and rub it on a piece of sandpaper until the tip is flat.  You may have to experiment with some paint on a piece of paper until you get the right circumference  Dab the tip of the flattened pencil in some paint, I use tremclad or vinyl jig paint puddled on a piece of plastic or teflon.  Carefully dab the flattened pencil on the desired location on the jig.  You will get a perfect eye.  If you want to add a pupil just take another pencil and sand it down and add the pupil.

Jig paint dries quickly but the tremclad takes a few days.  Nail polish also work good too, but I buy in bulk.  Any questions just ask.

Bear

• Like 1