• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

GuyLaFleur

Replacing treble hooks with singles. Thoughts?

GuyLaFleur

Just curious to see if anyone out there has replaced their treble hooks with singles?  The reason I ask is I find the trebles hard to get out, despite best efforts, especially in larger fish like pike. Often I end up keeping fish I don’t want to keep.  On my salmon trolling spoons most already have the single hook and I find it really easy to get the fish off quickly and cleanly.  However on some of my casting spoons like the Len Thompson’s 5/8 to 1 oz I still have the trebles and pike hit them hard and deep.  Also the J13s have trebles.   Has anyone replaced these with singles and if so what has been your experience in hook up rates?  Looking at other forums it doesn’t seem to affect it but just curious about local fishermen’s experience.  If you have done it what type of hook did you use?

Zackcorbin1401

On spoons I am a big fan and a  big believer of single hooks. I lose LESS fish,  it does Less damage to the fish if you plan on releasing them, with that Single hooks also penetrate deeper which helps with keeping fish on and with hard mouthed fish can make the difference if it’s a light bite. Singles the fish  can’t turn and roll in to the trebles and work themselves off, as many trout like to do is roll, also The hooks come out easier in the net and out of their mouth… as for rapalas I haven’t tried to many with singles yet I do like how the hook point is facing away from the bait and doesn’t interfere with it as much.

I am using using gamagatsu, VMC or owner siwash hooks 

Bobber Down

Crankbaits with trebles will have a better hook up and catch ratio than single hooks. Anyone telling you different hasn't been using crankbaits very long. There are 6 points to stick a fish as opposed to two if you change to single hooks. A lot of times fish will hit a crank to stun what it thinks is an easy meal and then circle around to eat a helpless victim. With that treble dangling the odds are you will catch that fish with one of those 6 points. Any experienced fisher person can attest to catching fish on the outside of the mouth or on the body somewhere with a crankbait using trebles. It happens a lot with aggressive fish hitting from the side. Manufacturers purposely use trebles as catching fish on their products help the bottom line. If trebles didn't increase hook ups and catching ratio's they would use the cheaper single hooks. They could care less about fish mortality. Using a rubber net will seriously make it easier to remove a treble from your net. Even pinching the barbs on trebles can help alot as well.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

Feldwebel Wolfenstool

I use singles.  Trebles always are uncanny at catching my pork sausage fingers...

brookiebuster

I use singles on everything but crank baits. Cranks I’ll use a single treble on the tail end. I haven’t had any issues hooking fish. A lot less of a headache only dealing with one treble rather than two or three.

• Like 3

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Joecat

I hate treble hooks. Recently bought split ring pliers and it makes switching hooks out really easy. I'll never fish with a treble hook again if I can avoid it

• Like 2

Zackcorbin1401
15 hours ago, Bobber Down said:

Crankbaits with trebles will have a better hook up and catch ratio than single hooks. Anyone telling you different hasn't been using crankbaits very long. There are 6 points to stick a fish as opposed to two if you change to single hooks. A lot of times fish will hit a crank to stun what it thinks is an easy meal and then circle around to eat a helpless victim. With that treble dangling the odds are you will catch that fish with one of those 6 points. Any experienced fisher person can attest to catching fish on the outside of the mouth or on the body somewhere with a crankbait using trebles. It happens a lot with aggressive fish hitting from the side. Manufacturers purposely use trebles as catching fish on their products help the bottom line. If trebles didn't increase hook ups and catching ratio's they would use the cheaper single hooks. They could care less about fish mortality. Using a rubber net will seriously make it easier to remove a treble from your net. Even pinching the barbs on trebles can help alot as well.

Yes Obviously the “hook up ratio” is better on trebles just the odds there’s 2 more points per hook but that is where I stop with the benefits of trebles. It’s the “Landing ratio” of singles that I love… fish just stay pinned on better and can’t torque themselves off the other points and get off.

naden

I find pinching the barbs on spoons really decreases the amount of time I spend handling trout and also easier pulling hooks out of the net. Also would be easier to pull a barbless hook out of your skin if that ever happens. I don’t think I’ve landed less fish using barbless. 

Zackcorbin1401

I fish barbless a lot of the time aswell and I love it! 

Feldwebel Wolfenstool
4 hours ago, naden said:

I find pinching the barbs on spoons really decreases the amount of time I spend handling trout and also easier pulling hooks out of the net. Also would be easier to pull a barbless hook out of your skin if that ever happens. I don’t think I’ve landed less fish using barbless. 

..."if that ever happens".....grrr snarl gnash...

Big Guy

I usually remove all but one treble.  I do feel bad for the fish especially with releasing.  They do cause a lot of harm.  I use single hooks for walleye and trout.  Treble hooks are usually for pike and bass.  My hookup ratio isn't the best regardless lol so i don't notice a difference. 

Joecat

I hate using trebles especially if pike are involved. Theyre too likely to swallow the dam thing and a treble is really hard to get out with doing damage

• Like 1

Bobber Down

Got lucky on this one

fishi.jpg

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - what a ride!!!

mmgg

Depends on the bite.  If you convert to singles then have stinger hooks you can clip on if the bite is slow.

rceme74

Most of my Spoons are singles now. I have experimented with removing the rear treble off the J series and so far the fish have hooked up well without one loss. Still get the odd Laker that wants the whole thing in his gapping hole, but barbless makes the extraction fairly easy.