• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest hereandthere

Non-resident limits

Guest hereandthere

I am a Canadian citizen, but in the past few years have been living out of country for 8 to 9 months, I have recently become a deemed non-resident of Canada. I own a cottage just outside Thunder Bay and stay there when I come back to Canada. So having said that I am returning next week to Thunder Bay and will now buy a non resident fishing licence. Now with that licence, the full sport fishing one, am I allowed 4 walleye in the Thunder Bay district staying in my own cottage? I have read the regulations and am not entirely clear on that issue. Friends have confused me on this issue saying that I must stay at a resort to have a full limit. Clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Guest MNR

MNR Answer:

In the Thunder Bay area, anyone who is not an Ontario or Canaidan resident who is camping on Crown Land is allowed to catch and possess a conservation limit (whether they possess a Sport Fishing Licence or a Conservation Fishing Licence).

If a Non-resident is being accommodated on private property, (staying with friends, at a resort or their own camp) they would be allowed to catch and keep a Sport Fishing Licence (4 Walleye) limit. Non-residents under the age of 18 may fish without a licence if accompanied by an adult who ahs a valid fishing licence. Any fish kept are part of the catch and possession limit of the person who holds the licence. Non-residents under 18 years may also purchase their own licence and have their own limits.

It is only when the person is on Crown Land is their catch and possession limit reduced to a Conservation Fishing Licence limit.