• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Zackcorbin1401

Shotgun or Rimfire?

Zackcorbin1401

I have hunted my whole life using various shotguns.12,20,410 for birds up until this year I switched to a .17hmr and oh boy I don’t think I want to go back to the shotgun again. The precision of the shots, the cleanliness of the meat and no wounded birds ever…not that it happened often but it has, they can’t fly when they don’t have a head. Downside would be heavy brush, or birds on the fly. Yet I haven’t found it to big of an issue to where I wished I had my shotgun. I was just wondering what everyone else likes to use and why?

eyelander

I still use my .410 for certain areas my bud and I hunt but mostly use my Ruger 10/22 w/scope for head shots.

• Like 1

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Sageboy

I use my 410 for birds most of the time but you can't find any stores in town that has them. They are out of stock.

• Like 1

FishinFinn

Love my 20ga for birds. Nice and light and mostly head shots with little ever in the meat. 

• Like 1

Thefishleclair

12 bore and 16. 

Working on burning off the last of my lead on the room broom (12 gauge) and once that box is empty Ill switch to my 16 crack barrel. Rim fires will come out once the leaves drop 22 mag and HMR. 

• Like 1

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

brookiebuster

12 gauge #6 shot and a full choke. Aim slightly above their heads zero pellets in the breast and no head left.

• Like 1

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

Zackcorbin1401

What’s the bird count for everyone this year? I’ve seen so many birds it’s insane

probably seen well over 250 in the few times I’ve been out. Just Sunday I think we counted 60+

Hurketthunter

Haven’t kept count but the numbers are definitely up this year. They have been everywhere I look hunting east of town. 

brookiebuster

Lots of birds for sure. I noticed this summer there were a lot of new chicks so must have been a good spring for them. Went out once so far this season and limited out within 15 mins.

"Whack em' and stack em',kill em' and grill em'" Ted Nugent

rceme74

Just started using a 410, due to shoulder operations. Had a bit of practice time, so became very comfortable. got two limits so far this year, there are plenty of good birds around.  I am in short supply of 3-inch ammo, so I have been using 21/2. not a real fan, had several misfires. 

Zackcorbin1401
18 hours ago, rceme74 said:

Just started using a 410, due to shoulder operations. Had a bit of practice time, so became very comfortable. got two limits so far this year, there are plenty of good birds around.  I am in short supply of 3-inch ammo, so I have been using 21/2. not a real fan, had several misfires. 

2 1/2” shouldn’t have anything to do with the misfire rate. The Quality of ammo is suffering due to mass production to keep up with the demand the last 2 years, I’ve noticed it from shotguns to rifles to rimfire.

Thefishleclair

Ill never runn out of .410 Ammo. The benefits of using black powder and casting yer own shot. 

Hard part might be finding percussion caps later on though i have 500+ 

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Snag???

&

• Haha 1

Thefishleclair

Ive got enough powder and primers for all 3 of my black powder shotguns to last me a good long time. 

Hard part is finding shot at a decent price. Shipping kills it. 

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB