• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

funnyd

Thunder Bay lake superior trout fishing

funnyd

Hi everyone,

I saw a news article saying ice anglers have caught trout on lake superior near Thunder Bay very recently (Jan 12), although ice is still rather thin

I have not ice fished trout, nor fished lake superior, just want to know where it's safe to walk out on foot (map pls) and what depth one would target for trout, appreciate the input and wisdom thanks

Zackcorbin1401

A couple wild souls have ventured out on bays end for lakers … if you were asking me that’s quite a bit early yet as I have seen the whole bays ice blow out in a matter of minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fishog

I agree with Zack, you would be taking a really big chance venturing out on the ice on Lake Superior. Black bay would be your best bet but it is more suited for Perch fishing then Lake trout. 

Every year you read about a group of Americans that had to be rescued because the ice broke away and they started floating further out with no way to get back to shore. 

Those greasy lake trout from Lake Superior is not it. 

• Thanks 1

KingFarouk

Could have been Nipigon Bay. I heard people fishing out near Kama but I don't know where the access is.

Zackcorbin1401
30 minutes ago, KingFarouk said:

Could have been Nipigon Bay. I heard people fishing out near Kama but I don't know where the access is.

Kama road then you park and sled/walk   1-1.5km to the lake.