• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

grumpy

fishing with children

grumpy

Clarification required please:

If I go fishing for pickerel with my 4 children (all under 18) and I am the only one with a valid sport fishing license can we take home 20 fish?

Thank-you

Guest MNR

MNR Answer:

Assuming that you and your children are residents of Canada, the plain and simple answer to your question is your children can keep a limit of fish if they caught them on their own.

Residents of Canada who are under 18 years of age or 65 years of age or older are not required to obtain a fishing licence in order to fish. Those who qualify to fish without purchasing a fishing licence may fish with the same catch and possession limits as holders of a resident sport fishing licence.

There is no provision in the fishing regulations to allow “party fishing”. You cannot fill another person’s limit. An adult can assist a child in baiting hooks and casting but the child must be physically able to angle on their own (i.e., catch their own fish).

Non-residents of Canada who are less than 18 years of age may fish without a licence if accompanied by an adult who has a valid fishing licence. Any fish kept by the non-resident child are part of the catch and possession limit of the person who holds the licence. As another option, non-residents under 18 years may purchase a licence which would allow them to keep their own limit of fish.

Members of Ontario Aboriginal communities having established Aboriginal or treaty rights do not require an Outdoors Card or fishing licence to take fish for personal use within their traditional or treaty territory.

The MNR encourages young people to get out and enjoy the sport of fishing.

Canadian Resident Definition: persons whose primary residence is in Canada and who have lived in Canada for a period of at least six consecutive months during the 12 months immediately preceding the matter coming into question.

grumpy

I got confused when I read the previous post

"If a Non-resident is being accommodated on private property, (staying with friends, at a resort or their own camp) they would be allowed to catch and keep a Sport Fishing Licence (4 Walleye) limit. Non-residents under the age of 18 may fish without a licence if accompanied by an adult who ahs a valid fishing licence. Any fish kept are part of the catch and possession limit of the person who holds the licence. Non-residents under 18 years may also purchase their own licence and have their own limits."

Thanks for the quick responce. I do not think that I would ever have the desire to keep my famlies limit. Its just excess.