• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest renegade

My 2007 NorthWestern Ontario Whitetail

Guest renegade

All was silent except for the whistle of the wind. I was scanning intently the area were the buck stood just moments before. I had one in the chamber and two left in the clip. Bits of snow and ice were stinging my face. I couldn't care less at that moment. I had just shot "the" buck and I was watching the area around were he had dissapeared for signs of movement from my fixed position stand. He vanished when I shot. There was a lot of brush and it was about 100 yards away but there would be no escape. Unbelievable. I got him! I couldn't wait any longer, I had to see him. I scrambled out of my perch and down the ladder. I hit the ground running and closed the distance fast. There he was. Oh man, it is the dagger buck I recently got pictures of. Oh man. I teared up for the first time after harvesting an animal. Maybe Stan Potts isn't such a nutbar.

IPB Image

Well this story starts back in 2006. I had gotten a picture of this very buck on my west property line during the hunting season. I hunted a few stands there and caught a glimpse of this buck one day. He basically ran right in front of the stand at full tilt chasing a very confused 2 1/2 year old buck out from under me. I had just finished grunting this smaller buck in and he was grunting in response when the 10 point showed up with a loud snort. The way he acted was almost like he knew I was there. In hindsight I think he did. I think if he could talk he was saying to the younger buck "get the heck out of here".

IPB Image

In 2007 I had done some scouting and set some stands up in late August and early September. I got the trail camera's out there and got pictures of a lot of deer. A good number of bucks too. I didn't get a picture of anything that was over about 140 inches but no matter, I knew that there were some mature bucks around. Then in early October on my way to New Mexico I checked the trail camera's and got a picture of a real dandy buck. This was a buck I would love to put my tag on! Looking closely at the picture I noticed the rip in the left ear. Hey I know this guy! This was the big 10 point from 2006. Wow, looks like he has put on some mass. I got a picture of him about 1/2 mile from where I got the picture of him last year, right in the middle of the farm. I didn't move any stands but definately it was nice to know that he was still around.

IPB Image

On October 30 I was into the 4th day of the firearms season in unit 10. I was hunting on and around the farm. I hadn't had too much luck so far but then I still had the whole first part of November to hunt. Sweet! On this day I decided to move a stand from a spot a few miles north of the farm to another spot that I would describe as a good funnel. I set the stand up that afternoon and cut some shooting lanes with a brush axe in two directions through the 5-6 year old cutover.

It was the very next day, Halloween, that we got a big change in the wheather. A west wind with precipitation was forcast. I got up a little later than usual, something I do much more frequently. I am not a big fan of the noise and crunching I make on the cold mornings going into stands of late. While eating my toast and drinking my coffee I mulled over the hunting possibilities. Where was the best place to hunt? I decided to try the new location. After getting a lunch and my gear ready I headed out and managed to get into my stand by 8:45. It was the perfect wind and I had a great approach to the new stand location. It was 9:00 when I first seen the buck. I had just settled in and got my scope caps flipped up and my pack stowed and there was a buck. Not just any buck but "the" buck. After short look in the bino's I slowly brought my rifle to bear. He was about 100 yards away and just entered one of my shooting lanes. He looked in my direction and started to head back toward the bush he came out of. I didn't let him take more than a half step before I fired my one and only shot.

IPB Image

Guest Grouseman

good job rene.. I know the feeling of tearing(sp?) up.. Im not ashamed to say that I have done it a few times in the past yrs...

good pics, its nice when they dont blow blood out their nose and mouth for photos...

take care and well see you next yr

Bobby

GC 54

Great pics, great story, and great deer Rene!

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Guest canuck

Looks photoshopped to me.....just Kidding Rene....mine will be bigger next year (or maybe the year after that)....as it stands now I hold the world record Doe.

Shane

Guest stumped

Hey Renegade,

I enjoyed reading about your buck. Awesome, I understand about welling up as well since that is what happened when I got my buck this year as well. They sure are beautiful animals.

Congrats

Stumped

Guest renegade

Thanks guys. Canuck if you put in a lot of hours scouting and hunting a big one will drop. Just a matter of time. Thunder Bay is really getting to be a super big buck area! One day we will have to go out scouting together. Maybe shoot the bows too. I would like to show you some sweet area I used to hunt and give you an idea on movements. I harvested some really nice bucks around Thunder Bay. Wish I could hunt everywhere but I am committed to Emo now since the family had land there. Is it November yet? lol.