• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
outofbounds

Ice Out!! Predictions

outofbounds

From current ice and snow conditions what are the predictions for hard water ice out this season?

Some locations requiring river running for access will definitely be limiting short of some water skipping.

Zackcorbin1401

We are making good ice with limited snow!

It’s not time yet!!! 

• Like 2

speckmaster

It all depends if we get a few good dumps of snow. 

poz

O snow on the ice to reflect solar energy. I am thinking real early unless we get real good dump of snow. In a boat before April 15th. Only experienced it one time before but this may be the year? 

Zackcorbin1401

Il be in the boat before April 15 almost guaranteed, even on a long winter rainy always opens early. I’ve done lac a few times early aswell.

TerJr

As someone who doesn't particularly enjoy ice fishing, I'm hoping I'm out nice and early on my usual creek / river spots. 

• Like 1

johnr

Conditions appear very similar to 2012.....open water walleye fishing April 2 that year

outofbounds

There certainly is not the 30" plus of ice and 12" of snow cover on many lakes. Unless the region receives some good dumps of snow the typical burn-off and ice lift cycle of March will not exist this season. Windblown bays have some snow and slush conditions, aside from that not much snow, or slob conditions.

scandiman

Going to be a terrible year for spring spawners with the current drought conditions.

• Like 1

Zack Melvin
On 2/28/2024 at 10:25 AM, scandiman said:

Going to be a terrible year for spring spawners with the current drought conditions.

I agree It’s going to be interesting what the future holds for spring spawning fish if this drought keeps up

RLK

Low water conditions are not necessarily a bad thing for spring spawning fish. On a normal year many of the fish will spawn on the shallow gravel and the eggs will be left high and dry as the water drops. The low water will force the fish to spawn more in the middle of the river with less chance of the eggs being left high and dry. Some of the better recruitment years have been in low water years.

• Like 1

Zackcorbin1401

Steelhead snaggers will have a good year

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fishog

Won't be long, this shack on whitefish was falling into a large hole and needed a rescue. 

430102783_10161075249864705_1791038471501088161_n.jpg

Zackcorbin1401

Easily 3 more weeks of Ice fishing left in the tank for me, most lakes I’ve been on are still atleast 2ft of ice…then off to walleye in the boat 🎣

• Like 1

Zackcorbin1401

Felt like a different world in Dryden this weekend compared to here  ❄️ lakes were completely covered in snow it was a beautiful sight! Sled was happy happy with all the snow

AB
9 hours ago, Zackcorbin1401 said:

Felt like a different world in Dryden this weekend compared to here  ❄️ lakes were completely covered in snow it was a beautiful sight! Sled was happy happy with all the snow

Certainly very different in the Tbay area!

Whitefish Lake was pretty much glare ice on Sunday afternoon. Watched a couple of people skating for miles. There was a little bit of soft / broken ice right next to the shore at the public launch. 

Quad did not want to move across the ice without 4x4 drive engaged. Walking around was treacherous at best. Time to pull the ice cleats and creepers out again. That or keep the skidoo helmut on all the time to keep the crystal mellon intact!

Where did you take off from Zack?  I am heading back to Pine Sunset Resort in Dinorwic just after Easter for a couple of days with the Crappies

AB

Zackcorbin1401
12 hours ago, AB said:

Certainly very different in the Tbay area!

Whitefish Lake was pretty much glare ice on Sunday afternoon. Watched a couple of people skating for miles. There was a little bit of soft / broken ice right next to the shore at the public launch. 

Quad did not want to move across the ice without 4x4 drive engaged. Walking around was treacherous at best. Time to pull the ice cleats and creepers out again. That or keep the skidoo helmut on all the time to keep the crystal mellon intact!

Where did you take off from Zack?  I am heading back to Pine Sunset Resort in Dinorwic just after Easter for a couple of days with the Crappies

AB

Practically as soon as you hit upsula the lakes had snow again…it was cool to see.il be doing some walleye in the tbay area this weekend, not sure if il take the quad or il walk either way it’ll be good, lake had 2 ft of glare ice just last week so I’m not even worried as for Dryden We sledded out from the reserve on dinorwic lake, beside the water plant…Had to pay a few dollars to get an access pass but was definitely worth it. Next time thinking of pine sunset for a few nights. It was the most fun I’ve had fishing in a long long time I am slightly obsessed with the crappies now and will be going every single year… some giants in there aswell, good walleye fishing too.