• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
poz

Open water

poz

Was up 527 today. Lakes near town look black and rotten. Further up more solid. So does anyone have reports of open water lakes in the area? 

johnr

Cant speak to 527 but at 4 pm yesterday MODIS sattelite image shows Whitefish Lake open ???????

Laplander

Whitefish is wide open. Friends of ours own one of the resorts there. Can confirm !

• Like 1

Fishog

Lots of trucks and boats going through Kakabeka today heading out. Guessing they were heading to Whitefish as one guy who lives there told me it was wide open two days ago. 

Sageboy

What are they fishing for at Whitefish? Pickeral is closed.

Zackcorbin1401
8 minutes ago, Sageboy said:

What are they fishing for at Whitefish? Pickeral is closed.

More then likely bass fishing  and yes walleye is currently closed… pickeral isn’t a fish we have here!

• Like 1

Zackcorbin1401

Looking on the satellite lastnight the only lakes I can see that are open would be whitefish and north/south fowl.

poz

I hear Trout is open and one island opening up. 

Neal
39 minutes ago, Zackcorbin1401 said:

Looking on the satellite lastnight the only lakes I can see that are open would be whitefish and north/south fowl.

Hey Zack! Got a link for that sat site? Been looking to find it after I saw someone mention it on another thread (might have been you), but can't find it for the life of me. Google stinks now, and I'd rather not do what I've been doing, which is driving to lakes I like and sighing deeply when they still have ice. It's just sad. :)

Zackcorbin1401
2 hours ago, Neal said:

Hey Zack! Got a link for that sat site? Been looking to find it after I saw someone mention it on another thread (might have been you), but can't find it for the life of me. Google stinks now, and I'd rather not do what I've been doing, which is driving to lakes I like and sighing deeply when they still have ice. It's just sad. :)

https://browser.dataspace.copernicus.eu/?zoom=5&lat=50.16282&lng=20.78613&themeId=DEFAULT-THEME&visualizationUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fsh.dataspace.copernicus.eu%2Fogc%2Fwms%2Fa91f72b5-f393-4320-bc0f-990129bd9e63&datasetId=S2_L2A_CDAS&demSource3D="MAPZEN"&cloudCoverage=30&dateMode=MOSAIC

Takes a bit to get used to with the dates that have pictures or not and sometimes you can go a week or more without a good picture but usualy pretty good site.

speckmaster

Download “Zoom Earth”. Has some great features and easy to use. 

Neal

Awesome! Thanks. I'll do that.

Also, thanks, Zack! I'll take once a week over where I'm at now, completely blind save driving. Hah!

Zackcorbin1401
7 hours ago, tbayfinn said:

Get over it, most people wo grew up around Thunder Bay call walleye pickeral. If you called it walleye people thought you were an American.

Sure most people who grew up around thunderbay as I did aswell say that…  but they are still wrong, just because they say it doesn’t make them right for saying it wrong for 50 years… look up in the regulations how many pickerel you can keep… 0 , Walleye is walleye there isn’t even an argument to be had. You are free to say and do as you wish I just have to correct it everytime I see or hear it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

naden

Looking forward to catching pickerel when pickerel season opens. Pickerel sure do taste good. Usually catch my weight in pickerel every 20 minutes. Pickerel pickerel pickerel pickerel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Neal

I AM an American, an immigrant, and I called them Walleye exclusively until a local called them pickerel, which confused me. I had never heard of a pickerel. I had to go look at the regs and research to learn that it's just a local thing.

Your experience isn't everyone else's.

To the point, if you bag on someone for promoting clarity, the only person you hurt is yourself.

It's good to show grace when someone corrects you, if they're right, instead of giving them grief for trying to help keep everyone on the same page.

No one's giving anyone grief for referring to a Walleye as a pickerel colloquially, but when seasons and rules and what's open are being discussed, clarity is important.

Zackcorbin1401
15 minutes ago, naden said:

Looking forward to catching pickerel when pickerel season opens. Pickerel sure do taste good. Usually catch my weight in pickerel every 20 minutes. Pickerel pickerel pickerel pickerel

Love it

naden

Other seasons I can’t seem to locate in the regs: 

walter, Waldo, king salmon, steelhead, coaster, swamp donkey, eel pout, laker, brookie, looper, musky, gator, snake, hammer handle, smallie. Most things go by many names but the only “correct” name is sander vitreus 

• Like 2

naden

Trout lake is open today, one island looked open at the south end but still a skim of ice at the public launch. Hawkeye was breaking away from shore but still frozen. Hawk bay open in the middle with ice around the edges and the water is low!

IMG_9709.jpeg

IMG_9708.jpeg

IMG_9707.jpeg

IMG_9710.jpeg

Feldwebel Wolfenstool
53 minutes ago, naden said:

Other seasons I can’t seem to locate in the regs: 

walter, Waldo, king salmon, steelhead, coaster, swamp donkey, eel pout, laker, brookie, looper, musky, gator, snake, hammer handle, smallie. Most things go by many names but the only “correct” name is sander vitreus 

...lawyers, bugle-nose bass, greaseballs...

• Like 1

naden
26 minutes ago, Feldwebel Wolfenstool said:

...lawyers, bugle-nose bass, greaseballs...

…..siscowet, red fins, grey trout, togue, bottom feeder, hauki, square tails, chinnys, mud hen trout, partridge, spruce hen…..

• Like 1

Zackcorbin1401

Looking at the sat images today there’s an absolute pile of lakes that are now open… just awaiting some lake trout waters and some early season action will begin!

Feldwebel Wolfenstool
7 hours ago, Rene said:

NOW CHILDREN, BEHAVE!!!

...don't be a shithawk..