• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest TerryK

Brook Trout lakes

Guest Dan
18 to 22 inch range does represent the bulk of the spawners,

Just curious Beamer. What size are the bulk of the spawners?

Guest Beamer
There's some great input here guys. I'm enjoying this thread. Thanks to all who have participated.

I complied some of my diary info for the past 2 year, here it is for 248 fish caught in 2006/07

Size/ 2006#of fish(117)

25" 1

24" 3

23" 1

22" 3

21" 6

20" 7

19" 7

18" 7

17" 5

16" 5

15" 24

14" 24

13" 13

12" 11

Size 2007# of fish(131)

24" 3

23" 4

22" 4

21" 4

20" 15

19" 15

18" 22

17" 20

16" 16

15" 6

14" 14

13" 5

12" 5

gone fishin'
I complied some of my diary info for the past 2 year, here it is for 248 fish caught in 2006/07

248 fish! I'm jealous! I haven't caught that many fish in my life!

Guest Dan

Size/ 2006#of fish(117)

25" 1

24" 3

23" 1

22" 3

21" 6

20" 7

19" 7

18" 7

17" 5

16" 5

15" 24

14" 24

13" 13

12" 11

Size 2007# of fish(131)

24" 3

23" 4

22" 4

21" 4

20" 15

19" 15

18" 22

17" 20

16" 16

15" 6

14" 14

13" 5

12" 5

Interesting stats Beamer. I don't see near the numbers that you record. But then again I only get out a few times per year. And I go when the biggest fish are congregating for the spawn.

Very nice stats Beamer. Those stats alone give me more wisdom about Nipigon Brook Trout. Thanks for sharing with us.

Happyjack

Just out of curiosity, has anyone actually contacted the Nipigon District Area Biologist to find out why he opened the lakes? The decision, contrary to the many opinions in this thread, lies within the Districts, not "the south".

Just wondering

seppi

I'd be very interested in that answer myself, when I ask these type of questions at my local MNR , information is gathered by bioligists in this area and sent down South,all decisions are made their......At least this is what we are being told,or maybe I'm just being passified !!! I don't know the answer to that one .... I mainly,I'll say target,brook trout during the spring and late summer months......Which may be why I'm seeing more fish in the 21 to 26" class..... But anyways guys,this topic is very enlightining if anything. By the way ,been away for a couple of days fishing for the best tasting fish in the world(WALLEYE) OPPS ,maybe I just started another topic !!!!!

Seppi

Gone8to1248

Good informative thread going here for people who know and understand Brook Trout. Could some of the more knowladgable people maybe give us a basic 101 course on them on here? Like the term Nipigon Strain of Brook Trout. Does that meen the Nipigon watershed or does that meen they all startted in Lake Nipigon and spread from there/ Also are there other strains of Brook Trout in the area and if so , where did they come from? If the did come from Lake Nipigon why can't they get more and move them out of the lake and into other bodies of water in the area to help repopulate them?

Guest Beamer
Good informative thread going here for people who know and understand Brook Trout. Could some of the more knowladgable people maybe give us a basic 101 course on them on here? Like the term Nipigon Strain of Brook Trout. Does that meen the Nipigon watershed or does that meen they all startted in Lake Nipigon and spread from there/ Also are there other strains of Brook Trout in the area and if so , where did they come from? If the did come from Lake Nipigon why can't they get more and move them out of the lake and into other bodies of water in the area to help repopulate them?

For year MNR Hatchery/fisheries people removed brood stock from Lake Nipigon for the Hatcheries, the raised stock are referred to as Nipigon strain Brooktrout as are the native population, it simply refers to the place of origin and their charateristics. The are very desirable for stocking an as mentioned reach a very large size even when put in small back woods lakes. I have fished them in the Elliot Lake area and have caught fish in excess of seven pounds from exremely small stocked lakes with the Nipigon strain fish. Taking brood stock from Lake Nipigon for the Hatchery is controversial to say the least and has caused rifts even within the MNR. People concerned over the state of the Lake Nipigon population were frustrated at the fact fish/eggs were being removed to rear stocks destined for other lakes and areas. At one time these hatchery raised fish were even released back into Lake Nipigon which in my opinion was and is a mistake, leave nature alone.

Beamer

seppi

Well you got my attention Beamer, there's nothing like mother nature ,to repair her own....That I totally agree with,also we need more CO's out there to help her out .......by the sounds of it I know most of the fisherman and fisherwoman on this site are doing there part....

Seppi

Bill Arnott

At one time these hatchery raised fish were even released back into Lake Nipigon which in my opinion was and is a mistake, leave nature alone.

Beamer

Couldn't agree more.

>Bill

CRESTINER BOATS SMITHS RV BRENNEN FORD THUNDERBAYFISHING.COM