• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest BigTrout

WOW. No Smelts......but lot's of People.... is it over?

Guest BigTrout

I went last night and I think most of Thunder Bay was there around 12. It was a zoooooooooooo.... and NO smelts.

So, is it done?

Gerry

Bighotdog

I am not a pro at this but judging by the amount I got last week and what everyone has been getting there is a real and I mean real good chance that the run is over. When I went out last week there was already quite a few females in the bucket when I came home so usually the males run first then the females come after so if this is the case you know the answer to your question.

Guest BannedCore

The smelts are still running in the Nipigon area and there are quite a few. Was out on the weekend and there were lots.

NWO Fishing Bum

What did you expect, after it was on the front page of the paper Saturday morning?

I had two great hauls last week and the week prior. Several people were saying 'they're not that thick' and 'the main run hasn't started yet'. In my experience, the 'good' part of the smelt run can be as little as a couple days for a given stream, and I believe the run at McVickar is largely over.

However further north along the shore still has smelts. McKenzie now has smelts, although it's not the easiest place to net them. There's a couple smaller places between here and McKenzie as well.

NWO Fishing Bum

FishOrDie

anyone still looking for smelts within an hour drive pm me and i can let you know where.

Guest Thats It!!!

thats it....good smelt fisherman you guys are. Ya the smelting so far this year has been bad, I mean im still catching them cuz I have good form but compared to prior years its been pretty bad!!! thats itttt