• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Gone8to1248

Steelhead genetics

Gone8to1248

From the earlier post of where the Steelhead(Rainbow trout) came from It looks like the original strain was from a creek in California. If that is the case would the genes be the same in Steelhead caught in the Ausable River in Michigan, the streams and Rivers in Ontario and the Rainbows presently being caught in California? It has been stated a couple of times on the board thatt he Steelhead (Rainbow Trout) are specail and naturalized in your rivers. Does that meen that somehow the genetics of those fish has changed over the years? Is it the enviroment that attracts the fish back to the rivers up there each year? Do they only return to the rivers that they were hatched or will they go to any river or stream that meets thier needs, such as water temp and food source or enviroment? Will a Maciver fish always be just that as a Wolf River fish will always go back there. It's been stated on here that tagged fish have been caught many miles from where they were originally tagged, but will they make the long swim back to thier home waters to just spawn and then go back to wandering around the big lakes. Has anyone ever heard of an Ausable River(Michigan) fish being caught up there in your rivers or one of your tagged fish being caught on the Ausable? Could we hear about these questions from some of you knowladgeable guys on here.

Bernie

Guest BannedCore

I too have a question about steelhead behavior. What is the purpose of the fall run as they spawn in the spring? What do they eat during the fall run?

RLK
I too have a question about steelhead behavior. What is the purpose of the fall run as they spawn in the spring? What do they eat during the fall run?

Get a hold of Jon George at the MNR and he can tell you anything you want to know about Steelhead.

Guest flydrifter
From the earlier post of where the Steelhead(Rainbow trout) came from It looks like the original strain was from a creek in California. If that is the case would the genes be the same in Steelhead caught in the Ausable River in Michigan, the streams and Rivers in Ontario and the Rainbows presently being caught in California? It has been stated a couple of times on the board thatt he Steelhead (Rainbow Trout) are specail and naturalized in your rivers. Does that meen that somehow the genetics of those fish has changed over the years? Is it the enviroment that attracts the fish back to the rivers up there each year? Do they only return to the rivers that they were hatched or will they go to any river or stream that meets thier needs, such as water temp and food source or enviroment? Will a Maciver fish always be just that as a Wolf River fish will always go back there. It's been stated on here that tagged fish have been caught many miles from where they were originally tagged, but will they make the long swim back to thier home waters to just spawn and then go back to wandering around the big lakes. Has anyone ever heard of an Ausable River(Michigan) fish being caught up there in your rivers or one of your tagged fish being caught on the Ausable? Could we hear about these questions from some of you knowladgeable guys on here.

Bernie

I'm no expert but here's what I understand (those more knowledgeable than me please correct/add):

North shore Steelhead are genetically unique, meaning that they have evolved through natural selection to survive and thrive in our rivers. Not only are they Unique to the Northshore but each river's population is genetically different from the next.

Steelhead return to the river where they hatched to spawn. Adult fish spend two years in Lake superior, or in the case of Portage creek, 1 year (this is the only known population of steelhead that spawns yearly) between visits to the river to spawn.

Fish that have been tagged in Portage creek have turned up in wisconsin and SS Marie, wolf river etc Fish will frequent other rivers but not for spawning, just to eat (suspected) and return to "their own" river to spawn

If there is good water a fall run occurs with fish looking for food ie stealhead young, salmon spawn and hatchlings, brooktrout spawn and hatchlings, other small species, insects and anything else the river may have to offer. Those that fish in the fall may have experienced Steelhead feeding just down stream from salmon spawning activity.

Mykiss
I'm no expert but here's what I understand (those more knowledgeable than me please correct/add):

North shore Steelhead are genetically unique, meaning that they have evolved through natural selection to survive and thrive in our rivers. Not only are they Unique to the Northshore but each river's population is genetically different from the next.

Steelhead return to the river where they hatched to spawn. Adult fish spend two years in Lake superior, or in the case of Portage creek, 1 year (this is the only known population of steelhead that spawns yearly) between visits to the river to spawn.

Fish that have been tagged in Portage creek have turned up in wisconsin and SS Marie, wolf river etc Fish will frequent other rivers but not for spawning, just to eat (suspected) and return to "their own" river to spawn

If there is good water a fall run occurs with fish looking for food ie stealhead young, salmon spawn and hatchlings, brooktrout spawn and hatchlings, other small species, insects and anything else the river may have to offer. Those that fish in the fall may have experienced Steelhead feeding just down stream from salmon spawning activity.

flydrifter:

Before referencing the Portage Creek steelhead study please get your information correct. Portage Creek steelhead generally spend one year in the stream (80%) and one to three years in the lake prior to maturity. Many of Lake Superior tribs have a similar smolting history ie. South Trout and Sibley Creeks. The MacIntyre and Neebing steelhead generally spend two years in their home stream and one to three lake years prior to maturity. Two year smoltiing is a general rule for most Great Lakes populations.....one stream year smolting appears to be a common characteristic in Lake Superior tribs. Check the Northshore Steelhead web site under projects for information on the Portage Creek study. Steelhead fall migrations are of two groups 1) feeding (often immature fish that return to the lake in the winter) 2) overwintering early spring spawners. The fall run adults that overwinter in many of our rivers are probably critical to the spawning success of that population especially in headwater locations.

Guest flydrifter
flydrifter:

Before referencing the Portage Creek steelhead study please get your information correct. Portage Creek steelhead generally spend one year in the stream (80%) and one to three years in the lake prior to maturity. Many of Lake Superior tribs have a similar smolting history ie. South Trout and Sibley Creeks. The MacIntyre and Neebing steelhead generally spend two years in their home stream and one to three lake years prior to maturity. Two year smoltiing is a general rule for most Great Lakes populations.....one stream year smolting appears to be a common characteristic in Lake Superior tribs. Check the Northshore Steelhead web site under projects for information on the Portage Creek study. Steelhead fall migrations are of two groups 1) feeding (often immature fish that return to the lake in the winter) 2) overwintering early spring spawners. The fall run adults that overwinter in many of our rivers are probably critical to the spawning success of that population especially in headwater locations.

thanks for clearing that up, but instead of slamming me pehaps you should read the study information yourself, and what I wrote. I refered to adult fish of which portage has developed a very high proportion of anuual spawners. I understood, from the MNR, that this situation is unique to Portage which is one of the reasons there is so much interest in the study.

I also said at the front end I'm not an expert, and I'll readily conceed that I may have misuderstood the in person presentation I partisapated in.

Thanks for reminding us of the NSSA posting of the study information online. I'd fogotten the info was there. No need for me to try and contribute further.

Guest Beamer
thanks for clearing that up, but instead of slamming me pehaps you should read the study information yourself, and what I wrote. I refered to adult fish of which portage has developed a very high proportion of anuual spawners. I understood, from the MNR, that this situation is unique to Portage which is one of the reasons there is so much interest in the study.

I also said at the front end I'm not an expert, and I'll readily conceed that I may have misuderstood the in person presentation I partisapated in.

Thanks for reminding us of the NSSA posting of the study information online. I'd fogotten the info was there. No need for me to try and contribute further.

I don't think he needs to read the information, and you did ask the more knowledgeable to correct or add. There is no one more knowledgeable on this sublect in my opinion.

Cheers

Beamer

salmonider

Information aside, its too bad the guy can't catch any... specially on that oversized fly rod! ;)

Practice CPS, catch , photo, stringer.

ok, calm down I'm kidding!