• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Master Baiter

Ever catch one of these?? Blue/Purple Pike??

Master Baiter

Pretty sure this is a pike, but wanted more opinions. Caught this one out at Lac and released it, wicked colour to it though a purple/blue....these pics don't do it justice! (my buds got more pics of it, once they email em I'll post em)

Other than this little surprise it was a pretty good weekend, cold and windy but fishin was good!

Oh yeah got into some big Pike too. Gotta wait for the Walleye pics

Mike

post-25-1211301621_thumb.jpg

If your not a Master Baiter, you'll never pull the big one!!

th_logo_teamnosa.jpg th_NSSAlogo.gif

Master Baiter

Pics only fit one per post ....sorry

fisherdude

cud it be a grass pike?iv caught a few in southern ontario...there werent to big...

ralphthedog

It was probably just cold...like the rest of us...

Phil

Ya i caught one a couple years ago at Lac also. Kinda surprises you and made me think if it could possibly have been a musky. Asked a few people and most thought that could never be possible. Mine hade the same black spots and was small about 3 pounds.

Some Old Guy

Can someone resize this picture and repost it for me? I can only get a half load from this picture. I can see the thumbnail fine just not when I click on the picture.

Thanks,

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

eyelander

Sent you an e-mail attachment with the pic Roger.

tom

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Some Old Guy

Thanks Tom.

Now that I can see this pike closely it's an uncommon mutant form of a Northern Pike. It's reffered to as a Silver Pike. It occurs throughout the native range of Northern Pike. The black spots on your fish are just that. Black Spots.

This is a great catch as these things are rare! Almost considered an Albino Pike!

Great Fish Master Baiter!!!!

Roger

eyelander

Silver Pike??????????? Albino Pike???????????

Never heard of them.

tom

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Some Old Guy

Check out the Northern Pike & Muskie book from the Hunting and Fishing Library. It has a short blurb on Silver Pike in there.

Roger

Master Baiter

Sweet!!!

Thanks Roger,

I caught it on my 35th Birthday too boot...lol

(I'll try to re size the other pics and post em later)

Mike

RJS

I caught a Pike similar to that about 20 years ago and I always thought it was an Albino pike. I threw it back. I stopped telling my story because nobody believed me. Finally, it's good to know what kind of fish it really was. Thanks Roger. Rob.

Guest ericanderson

definately not a musky. it's a grass pike, while it gets mature and larger it's markings will become more prominent and visible, whereas while the fish is young it lacks any colour pattern at all.

Mr. Canoehead

Interesting. But how about those blue/purple hued walleye? I'm sure some people have caught them, I've caught a few. Does anyone have an explanation for why they are that colour? I thought maybe it was their diet, but maybe it's just a different type of walleye?

-John

Master Baiter
Interesting. But how about those blue/purple hued walleye? I'm sure some people have caught them, I've caught a few. Does anyone have an explanation for why they are that colour? I thought maybe it was their diet, but maybe it's just a different type of walleye?

-John

Try www.bluewalleye.com

Mike

Guest corby

Northern pike occasionally breed with muskellunge to produce the hybrid commonly known as the tiger muskellunge, depending on the gender of each of the contributing species. In the hybrids, the males are almost invariably sterile although the females are sometimes fertile. Another form of northern pike, the silver pike, is not a subspecies but rather a mutation that occurs in scattered populations. Silver pike, sometimes called silver muskellunge, lack the rows of spots and appear silver or silvery-blue in color.

vishuscirquel

Hey Mike,

We got one of those in the summer this year, no markings, silver/blue with almost a purple sheen to it. Its a silver pike....not a grass pike, not a chain pickerel not a musky.

SILVER PIKE WE CAUGHT IN JUNE

IMG_1502.jpg

Domer

I know for sure that I have caught and witnessed at least 4 of those silver pike at Lac De Mille Lac when I had my ice shack in front of one of the coffin islands. I will try to dig up a picture of at least two that were caught there.

Dom.

Guest TheChad

i caught this pretty "silver" pike about an hour southeast of Chapleau Ontario, in Ramsey Lake. Of course the pic doesnt do it true justice, the colours were much more visible in person

post-1067-1243921419_thumb.jpg

post-1067-1243921584_thumb.jpg

post-1067-1243921838_thumb.jpg

jason

hey awesome colors, back home in the dryden area, we used to catch some blue walleye. they looked the same as a regular walleye but with a blue belly. They never seemed to get bigger than two pounds. We use to catch tons of saugers on bigger sized lakes also. They were more annoying to catch then perch. Clean out your bait bucket fast. :ph34r: