• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest crispy

Hawkeye?

Guest crispy

Anyone have any ideas about where to get walleye out of hawkeye. I know they're in there. Swam in from Dog lake. The same colours would probably work too? Any ideas?

Guest fishmasa
c.i.l. wabbler.

Hi Crispy,

I usually fish hawkeye about 20 times a year, and i find that it is very difficult to catch fish at certain times of year. Lots of bass and pike can be caught up the river leading to dog lake. If you want walleye travel up by the light house and go up the river into spike and paul lake. We usually us little joes with a medium minnow or a jig and worm. If you hit those lakes at the right time the fishing can be incredible. Most walleye in hawkeye are 17-28" and the lake trout are 4-9lbs or larger. Bass can reach football size and the pike have a great fight.

Guest crispy

I know about the bass. Caught way too many last year that were over 4lbs. Are there still the small beaver dams going into paul lake. I've been in spike lake way too many times to count. Saw an 11lb'er come out of the mouth going into paul lake many years ago. Last summer the lighthouse was amazing for bass, but the people I know on the lake couldn't find the walleye last year. When would be the right time for the walleye. I've always targeted bass on hawkeye and would like to broaden my horizons. Could you pm me anything about lake trout on hawkeye? I've seen a couple trophies from the lake topping 25lbs.

Big Guy

I was fishing Hawkeye yesterday and caught only one walleye all day. It was just over 6 pounds. The lake always seems to be tough for walleye and I actually do the best fishing off of my dock at the camp although the mouth of both rivers are good as well. I caught 10 great walleye last year, all were over 5 pounds with my biggest being just shy of 9. I usually use a white jig and minnow, although I had great luck last year with a white tube jig. I usually catch and release when I fish so the abundance of size and lack of fish usually works for me. Although I would love to get into a really good bite one of these days. Also of note, last year I took a buddy fishing and he caught a really strange looking one eyed small mouth that was around 3 pounds. With only one eye I was surprised to see it that big. I haven't yet had a chance to fish for Lake Trout but I am looking forward to giving that a try this year.

Guest crispy

Thanks for the walleye tips for hawkeye. I've been fishing hawkeye since I was a kid. Caught my first fish in the narrows. I've only had a depthfinder on the lake for the past 2 seasons and have been exploring the main part of the lake, trying to locate where the lakers and whitefish could be, as well as walleye's too. Anyone heading up there, let me know and maybe I'll see you on the lake, as I will be there most of the summer, getting my girls into fishing this summer. Actually, just have a quick story about my 3 yr old girl. Last summer, I thought for fun, I'd catch a bass off the dock. Threw in the line and got a tiny bass. My daughter walks up to me, and holds her hands out asking me to hold it, she was 2 at this time. So, the next sunny day, I throw in a line for her. She nailed about a 2 pounder. I was kneeling right behind her and I had to hold onto her stomach. Everytime the bass went to run, she would almost go in the water. She was so excited. I have a gorgeous picture of her, holding that fish that I'll post one here sometime. Anyways, she ended up catching 4 in about 20 mins and we released each one of them together. I think she'll definitely be a fishing partner for years.

Guest mikkeli

Walleye can definetly be hard to find sometimes on Hawkeye, the fishing is either good or bad. In mid-day in July/Aug the narrows are usually alright for bigger walleye, but alot of weedy areas, i guess thats where they like to hide out. About the lakers... well i don't recommend eating any, but catchin them can be worth it. The fish tend to be very fatty just like lake superior lake trout, most likely due to abundance of smelt's that's in Hawkeye. I recommend Splake fishing if you can find these elusive critters, it's much more sporty especially since everyone i've caught & seen is over 3lbs. Has anyone noticed the decline in pike in hawkeye and the increase in bass/walleye in the last 25yrs?

Guest crispy

I caught a splake in hawkeye about 3 years ago. It was a real nice size. I've noticed a huge decline in pike in hawkeye, even in the past 10 years. I have a buddy that said they were catching lunkers last spring, over 30"+. I just went into that little pond that's right at the sandy bay in the main lake. Haven't been in there since I was a kid, but it's basically a big weed bed from what I know. Anyways, I was in there and I caught about 15 pike in just over an hour. There's a beaver dam blocking the entrance, so I think a bunch of them have been trapped in there for some time. Last summer I saw a really big pike cruising the rock shelf in the pond at the end of the narrows, but he wouldn't bite. Bass have definitely been on the rise and bigger than I've ever seen, and walleye were very rare 10 years ago. If I remember correctly, about 20 years ago, the MNR did a survey and declared hawkeye as overstocked and that walleye weren't supposed to be in there. Anyone catch any whitefish in hawkeye? I haven't seen many perch for a long time either.

Guest a nonny mouse

ok....so now that we've determined it's physically possible to pull a pickeral out of Hawkeye, can anyone tell me where the heck I can launch the boat? I am not familiar with a public launch for the lake...is there such a thing?

Guest crispy

There is a public launch on the main part of the lake across from the cliffs, but it's really shallow and sandy. Turn at the campers association sign, stay left and the boat launch/public beach is on the right.

Big Guy

I believe it's called Kays Landing.

Guest canuck

I heard from a friend that has a camp on Hawkeye that the launches have been rutted up and are in bad shape...I can't confirm that as I have not used them and usually put in my boat at his camp...good luck!

Shane

Guest crispy

I haven't used any launches yet. I just put my 12' in at my parents camp. Where abouts on the lake? I'm up in the narrows.

Big Guy

I am on the main part of the lake (widest part) and I was at the public launch three weeks ago, after the big storms. It was in really good shape from what I could tell.

Guest crispy

does anyone have any idea where the smelts came from, are they native? I hadn't heard about them until last year.

Big Guy

I have a camp on Hawkeye and want to make the trek into spike. Are there any obstacles to look out for that anyone is aware of. My fish/depth finder is sketchy at the best of times. I only have a 14' with a 20 on it so hopefully that will work out fine.

Guest walleyehunter

I have a camp on hawkeye as well, grandparents built the camp when my mom was one, I know the lake like the back of my hand, if anyone wants to go fishing pm me.

Trevor Zimak

Might check the lake out for the first time this week

Big Guy

I have yet to catch a walleye in the lake this year. It seems to be getting tougher and tougher every year. Largest fish for me last year was just shy of 9 pounds. Have yet to catch anything under 5 even off my dock. It seems to me that the fishing is about quality and not quantity. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

SHOW TIME

approx how many km's up Mapleward rd is the public launch from the Dawson rd intersection

Wildcat
post-116-1274104965_thumb.jpgi was at hawkeye lake yesterday, i would recomend that you use a 4x4, i did a trial run and decided not to launch because i have a 2 wheel drive, ended up going to the Kam river, fished for 5 hours, not a bite, althought the water was dirty and it always tough fishing then.