• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

bigfish

Salmon derby

Guest TerryK
Salmon spawn on gravel and prefer springs just like Brook trout and they spawn at the same time of year. You can't add new species to a system without affecting a natural species. If there were no Salmon or Steelhead in Lake Superior there would be more Brook trout today. The streams and rivers can only support a certain amount of fish, (food, cover). It is pretty simple when you think about it. The elders of Garden River Reserve can tell you what the salmon have done to the native Brook trout that once thrived in their River. Lampreys have naturalized to the system as well so I guess they fit in nicely.

I don't know where you got your information but Chinnook Salmon DO NOT require upwelling springs to spawn, Brook Trout do.

Guest TerryK
I vote we end this spitting match now and enjoy what's left of summer !!! Summers are to short as it is ....

Seppi

Who's spitting? It's a simple difference of opinion. B)

Besides, how boring would this board be without a little friendly banter among fisher folks?

bigfish

There is 49 boat now, as of 12 NOON.

11 MORE SPOTS THEN IT WILL BE CLOSED.

Team FishPopper

Proudly Sponsored by-Nipigon Canadian Tire,D&R Sporting Goods LTD.,S.O.B. wear(www.soldiersofthebottle.com),Nipigon Bang On Construction

canadianyanke

I dont think there is any chance that the MNR closes the season OR lowers the limit after talking to a few people from the MNR. I was on the electrofishing boat and you would honestly be suprised with the number of salmon that were turning up. And for everyone that is planning on hitting the river up if you go out early you will get fish. I know guys that have been pulling out 6-15 a day and they are off the river by lunch.

ps- last night we went into a few spots up by the dam in the electrofishing boat and turned up alot of fresh pinks so if you get bored just throw out some buzz bombs.

Guest fish_on
I dont think there is any chance that the MNR closes the season OR lowers the limit after talking to a few people from the MNR. I was on the electrofishing boat and you would honestly be suprised with the number of salmon that were turning up. And for everyone that is planning on hitting the river up if you go out early you will get fish. I know guys that have been pulling out 6-15 a day and they are off the river by lunch.

ps- last night we went into a few spots up by the dam in the electrofishing boat and turned up alot of fresh pinks so if you get bored just throw out some buzz bombs.

I would tend to side with you. From talking to my friends with lots of experience on the nip they are doing very well. Also thanks for the heads up on the pinks :D

Guest Dan

Geez, how times have changed. It was only about 15 short years ago that I used to fish the lower Nip right into November, or even into December at times. After derby weekend (labor day), we'd have the entire river to ourselves. Salmon weren't the target, but we got our share of them. And they were much bigger back then. Mid 20 lb, fish were common. I honestly don't know what the attraction is of catching river run spawning Salmon. Besides the fact that they're big, or used to be according to my experience, I really don't understand the attraction to catching these things. It amazes me to see the Alexander launch packed with vehicles, and overflowing onto the road to catch a fish that has biologically has stopped feeding, is decomposing, will die in a few months or weeks, and you can't eat. But whatever. To each his own, as the saying goes. As other have stated, I too am concerned about the fishing pressure for the Salmon will put on more desirable species. There was a time when if you wanted to go and catch a Pacific Salmon, you'd have to go to the Pacific. And there was a time when if you wanted to catch a Nipigon strain Brook Trout, you'd have to come to Nipigon. Now you can catch a Pacific Salmon in Nipigon and a Nipigon strain Brook Trout in British Columbia. CLICK HERE "World's Best Trophy Brook Trout Destination" by the way. How convenient. I appreciate all of you guys that have a passion for your type for fishing. But IMHO, we're all fishing in a cauldron. We are just throwing fish around from one end of the country to the other. Just so that those species are closer to us and so that we can catch them. Big time mistake, but it's too late now. The damage has been done and we can't turn back the clock. Go and get your Salmon in the Nipigon boys. After all, the Nipigon is the best Salmon fishery in Lake Superior. How the heck did that happen anyways???

Guest graeme
Geez, how times have changed. It was only about 15 short years ago that I used to fish the lower Nip right into November, or even into December at times. After derby weekend (labor day), we'd have the entire river to ourselves. Salmon weren't the target, but we got our share of them. And they were much bigger back then. Mid 20 lb, fish were common. I honestly don't know what the attraction is of catching river run spawning Salmon. Besides the fact that they're big, or used to be according to my experience, I really don't understand the attraction to catching these things. It amazes me to see the Alexander launch packed with vehicles, and overflowing onto the road to catch a fish that has biologically has stopped feeding, is decomposing, will die in a few months or weeks, and you can't eat. But whatever. To each his own, as the saying goes. As other have stated, I too am concerned about the fishing pressure for the Salmon will put on more desirable species. There was a time when if you wanted to go and catch a Pacific Salmon, you'd have to go to the Pacific. And there was a time when if you wanted to catch a Nipigon strain Brook Trout, you'd have to come to Nipigon. Now you can catch a Pacific Salmon in Nipigon and a Nipigon strain Brook Trout in British Columbia. CLICK HERE "World's Best Trophy Brook Trout Destination" by the way. How convenient. I appreciate all of you guys that have a passion for your type for fishing. But IMHO, we're all fishing in a cauldron. We are just throwing fish around from one end of the country to the other. Just so that those species are closer to us and so that we can catch them. Big time mistake, but it's too late now. The damage has been done and we can't turn back the clock. Go and get your Salmon in the Nipigon boys. After all, the Nipigon is the best Salmon fishery in Lake Superior. How the heck did that happen anyways???

I’m totally in agreement that we shouldn’t be tossing strains of fish all over the country; the same has happened with the arora trout.

But honestly I don’t think there is anything wrong with eating a salmon on its way out.

canadianyanke

silver chinooks still taste great and salmon fight harder then any fish species around here.

Guest Dan
the same has happened with the Aurora trout.

I wasn't aware of the Aurora story Graeme. I thought that they were only being managed in the few lakes that they originated in? Please enlighten me. Are they starting to ship them around the country too?

Guest Dan
salmon fight harder then any fish species around here.

I'd put a 5 lb. Chinny up against a 5 lb. Steelhead, Brookie or Smallie any day of the week. But apparently, you've missed my point altogether.

Guest KypeRipper

I heard that there are only 6 spots left in the derby -- looks like they might just hit 60 boats

FISH ON -- SEE YA ON THE RIVER

Guest graeme
I wasn't aware of the Aurora story Graeme. I thought that they were only being managed in the few lakes that they originated in? Please enlighten me. Are they starting to ship them around the country too?

I’ve heard of a story about a guy from Quebec who caught a limit (or more) and stocked them on a private lake back in Quebec. But I think the limit is only one on the years when it’s open.

Anyway, supposedly now there is some lake out there where you can get them. I know this is a lot different than government sanctioned relocation; I just wanted to identify with Dan. I’m originally from Sudbury and have tried to get an aurora a couple times with no success.

Guest BannedCore

Dan, thanks for the link I checked it out. You are right on the damage being done we should have taken better care of our native fish and not messed with nature. As for the guys fishing Salmon keep it up. I was Brook trout fishing yesterday up top and had the river all to myself other than a couple boats.

p.s there is a Lake in the Algoma District with Aurora trout in it behind Montreal River.

Guest superior steel
Wes,

Yeah I took a jab at steelhead. Sorry about that. I got two emails from two different people that are ardent steelhead guys flipping out about the salmon derby and said that the "redneck pieces of .... meat hunter loogans" (I still don't know what loogans are) will decimate the steelhead in the Nipigon River as a result of this salmon derby.

Roger

loogan= angling hooligan

An angler with a boisterous attitude, often touting ill suited gear for the species they are targeting. A loogan may also lack knowledge/respect for the resource they are utilizing.

I.E. What the heck, there are 7 loogans flogging the weir hole!

Just my interpretation.

Mykiss
loogan= angling hooligan

An angler with a boisterous attitude, often touting ill suited gear for the species they are targeting. A loogan may also lack knowledge/respect for the resource they are utilizing.

I.E. What the heck, there are 7 loogans flogging the weir hole!

Just my interpretation.

I must be one of these "loogans"......do not "pin fish" and get outfished by the young pros.

I do however have a problem with how chinook salmon compete with Coasters or resident brook trout?? Their life history strategies are so different and the "nurtient loading by salmon in streams " benefits all stream juvenile trout and salmon. I think you will find that if left alone (no stocking) all the salmonids in Lake Superior will sort themselves out and do well. We have one of the best wild and diversified salmonid fisheries in North America. Coasters appear to more abundant in the past few years due to reduced harvest. The two real issues that we need to keep an eye on are exploitation (harvest) and habitat. Appreciate what a great fishery we have......protect it for the future.

bigfish

ONLY 3 SPOTS LEFT

Team FishPopper

Proudly Sponsored by-Nipigon Canadian Tire,D&R Sporting Goods LTD.,S.O.B. wear(www.soldiersofthebottle.com),Nipigon Bang On Construction

bigfish
ONLY 3 SPOTS LEFT

ITS FULL NOW!!

Lots of good prizes from all businesses

And a big thanks to" ALL THE PEOPLE FOR THERE HELP AND TIME "

The winners will be posted.

THANK YOU

MUZZY

Team FishPopper

Some Old Guy

Right on Muzzy! Congrasts for filling up so fast!

Don't ya wish Frazer was like that?

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest TerryK
I must be one of these "loogans"......do not "pin fish" and get outfished by the young pros.

I do however have a problem with how chinook salmon compete with Coasters or resident brook trout?? Their life history strategies are so different and the "nurtient loading by salmon in streams " benefits all stream juvenile trout and salmon. I think you will find that if left alone (no stocking) all the salmonids in Lake Superior will sort themselves out and do well. We have one of the best wild and diversified salmonid fisheries in North America. Coasters appear to more abundant in the past few years due to reduced harvest. The two real issues that we need to keep an eye on are exploitation (harvest) and habitat. Appreciate what a great fishery we have......protect it for the future.

You guys can take this to the bank!!! It doesn't get any more acurate than that.

Thanks Mykiss!

Hey hardcore, isn't the season closed for Brook Trout in the river????

seppi

TerryK,Hardcore is fishing North of the Pine portage Dam,still Nipigon River but open until the 15th of Sept...

Seppi

Guest TerryK
TerryK,Hardcore is fishing North of the Pine portage Dam,still Nipigon River but open until the 15th of Sept...

Seppi

Hell I forgot about that. My bad.

Guest Beamer

I 've been called a Loogan more than once and I'm sure I earned the title. Let Loose the Loogan's!, Good luck with the Dergy guys!

Cheers Beamer

Guest BannedCore

There has been some good information posted in this thread, but there are some misleading posts as well. I have seen the Garden River in the fall full of dead and dying king Salmon with no Brook trout present. This river used to be loaded with Brookies. I also know guys who watched as spawning Salmon chase off Brook trout that were also trying to spawn on the same bed. The Salmon won and the Brookies had to spawn elsewhere. It is this kind of information that I base my opinions on. Not to mention when you fish the tributaries of Lake Superior there are way more Brookies above the barriers than there is below them. why is that? Gee, maybe its because they thrive when they have a creek or a river all to themselves. DUH!!!!

P.S I think I could be a loogan as well