• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Pike in kakabeka

I was just up at kakabeka today fishing, waters high so it was a little harder to fish, we did catch some pike and bass but the pike had weird small black dots all over them, the fins, and the body. I have never seen this before could anyone maybe give me a hint as to what it is, and as well, would the fish still be safe to eat. I am hoping the issue is just an exterior one for the fish

Guest Kevin Green
I was just up at kakabeka today fishing, waters high so it was a little harder to fish, we did catch some pike and bass but the pike had weird small black dots all over them, the fins, and the body. I have never seen this before could anyone maybe give me a hint as to what it is, and as well, would the fish still be safe to eat. I am hoping the issue is just an exterior one for the fish

Those are parrasites. Sometimes they are in the meat sometimes they aren't. If there are lots I wouldn't bother keeping it. I have caught Walleye with these on them and when you fillet them there are little white balls in the meat. They can be easily removed by poking them out with the tip of your knife. They are actually little worms or extra protien as I like to think.

As a rule of thumb from past experience if I catch a fish with lots of black parasites on the skin I don't keep it. I have also seen Bass with lots of these on them and the meat was so full of them that it had to be discarded.

Also I have caught Lake Trout with little worms attached to their skin and upon filleting them there was a tape worm or some type of long white worm in the meat of the fish.

Needless to say giver an extra minute in the oil and dig in. :D Just kidding.

Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure they would still be safe to eat but its allowing my brain to let me eat them thats hard, not my stomach, i dont think i could eat a parasite, just seem safer not to

NWO Fishing Bum

Yes, don't screw around with parasites. Great post Kevin! I was going to suggest much the same.

NWO Fishing Bum