• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bottom Bouncer

2009 walleye tournament in T.Bay

Bottom Bouncer

WILL IT HAPPEN? WHAT LAKE? WHAT MONTH? HOW MANY ENTRIES? HOW MUCH FOR ENTRIES? 1DAY OR TWO? ETC.....IS THIS POSSIBLE? WOULD ANYONE BE INTERESTED IN FISHING IT? WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS GUY'S

REELBAIT

Guest Cory

WILL IT HAPPEN?

It has been discussed on here for a long time. It will take at least one energenic individual to get this thing off the ground. If it is to happen for next year, i would suggest the individual step forward now and get the ball rolling. Waiting till next year is too late. This message board offers a great platform to get the word out and find interested individuals to help coordinate the event.

WHAT LAKE?

Thunder bay has alot of lakes that would support a tournament. (Lac, Shebandowan, Dog, etc) Each lake will have its challenges.

WHAT MONTH?

Choosing a date will mean looking at the dates of other events in the area and finding an opening. Spring and Fall are usually better for walleye survival.

HOW MANY ENTRIES?

I would recommend starting with 50-75 boats. Start small and work your way up.

HOW MUCH FOR ENTRIES?

I would think that between $150-$200 would be a good entry fee. Too low and its not worth the effort to attend and too high scares off some teams.

1DAY OR TWO?

The concept of the fall shebandowan (Sioux Narrows) was good. Having it a two day event but having daily winners. Either one or two days would work.

IS THIS POSSIBLE?

It is possible. It goes back to needing an organizer/committee. Maybe your the man Nisswa or someone on this board. With all the members here, it shouldnt be hard to start up a committee to at least investigate the possibilty of hosting a walleye event in Thunder Bay. The bass tournaments which were organized through here are sure thriving.

WOULD ANYONE BE INTERESTED IN FISHING IT?

I dont think you would have any trouble filling a field of anglers. The problems come from finding the organizing committee and the volunteer base to run the event.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS GUY'S?

I like the idea and would be willing to offer assistance where possible. I already sit on one organizing committee so my assistance would be limited to behind the scenes and prior to the event. I would of course be participating in the event come tournament day :D

Good luck and hope it happens..Cory

Wade O.

I have to agree with Cory I don't think it would be hard to fill a smaller field especially @ 150.00 - 200.00 a team. I have seen numerous posts on here talking about it and it always seems that there is more than enough interest. One idea would hbe to have Roger involved maybe do a Thunder Bay Fishing. Com Tourney. Another idea I have pondered would be a celeb tourney, that might go over well too. One could possibly get some of those hockey players from town to make an appearance. I definately would fish a tourney that is in Thunder Bay. If someone was seriously interested in starting one I would help out as much as possible, but I too would be fishing the tourney so come game day my involvement would be none. I think the hardest part would be to get volunteers to help run the thing. Cory would be the man to ask about that though, I'm sure he could offer lots of advice.

NWO Fishing Bum

Provided the will exists, I think the most important question is where. To me, Lac is the best bet the majority of the time. I wouldn't try Dog; if they screw with the water level right before the tournament it could be disastrous for many, if not all, teams. Otherwise, I don't think there is a suitable fishery that is large enough and within reasonable distance other than Lac. If you had it late-summer on Lac, fish would be on main-lake structure all over the place, and the field could really spread out.

NWO Fishing Bum

(I don't think you want another scenario where fish are generally confined to a couple key areas and he who gets there first, wins. There is already a few walleye events somewhat like that.)

Some Old Guy

Where would it be hosted at Lac?

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Bottom Bouncer

I believe Lac would be the premier location and I also feel a Walleye 2 day tournament would be very well received in T.Bay.

REELBAIT

NWO

Nisswa.....you have a few things to consider:

A walleye tournament in Thunder Bay is really not a tournament in Thunder Bay. It could be a tournament 'just outside' Thunder Bay', whether at Lac, Whitefish or at Dog, but it will NOT be in Thunder Bay.

So, because it is not in the City proper, you may have trouble finding sponsorship/support/suitable locale for your proposed event.

So, if in one of theses places.....Lac, Whitefish or Dog, you must find a partnership with a Lodge, I presume, or conduct the whole affair from a public landing with parking for whatever numbers of participants you think that particular landing can hold.

I'm not trying to snuff out some fresh enthusiasm for such an event, but you have to think this thing long and hard before you start putting your hand out for peoples entry fees.

And, in the end, if you won't do it....who will?

Trevor Zimak

If I win 649 this week i will personally run a walleye tournament with a 75,000 first place prize. Two days. 5 fish limit. Invite only. :)

Bottom Bouncer

NWO...you make some excellent points. Your right when you say it will not be a "THUNDER BAY" tournament. We would also need to get on board with a lodge. Shabandewan isn't an option because a 2 day would not fly there and whitefish is two small. Dog lake was mentioned earlier and I agree with water levels. (Just my thought's) I am serious about trying to make this happen. Do I need help? for sure. I would need two good wingers and some strong defense. There's lots to consider and lots of decisions to make including getting the right people on board. I have had some interested people in making this work with some unique idea's but a meeting of the party's needs to happen shortly. Zimmer I hope you win 649. Maybe you could also put your boat up for a mystery weight and some gas coupons.

REELBAIT