• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dan

A few nice Mission Island Bucks

Guest Dan

I get out to Mission Island with my camera as often as I can. There's so much to see there and it's so close. Obviously Deer are my #1 subject now. I happened to get some decent big Buck shots last weekend. I'm sure that some of you guys have seen some of the same Deer that I have been seeing.

A nice typical buck. I'm sure this is the same guy in the next two photos, although they were taken over an hour apart and several hundred yards away from each other. This guy was awesome. So majestic looking.

IPB Image

IPB Image

And this guy was just crazy. A non typical. I'm not sure how many points he had, but lots to say the least. I only got one decent photo of him while he was crossing the road. After that he stayed hidden in the trees. I could see him, but he wouldn't show himself for another decent shot. I followed him for about 1/2 an hour.

IPB Image

I also came across this guy that only had half of his rack left. My guess is that he lost it while sparring during the rut.

IPB Image

And the little guys are very friendly. I practically had a few of them within petting distance. Here's one shot that I liked.

IPB Image

GC 54

Dan, superb pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Bill Arnott

Thanks for sharing the great shots Dan - you're killing me though - no deer hunt for me this year. :( Those are a couple beauties.

CRESTINER BOATS SMITHS RV BRENNEN FORD THUNDERBAYFISHING.COM

Guest borealboy

It always amazes me how these deer walk around in the daylight and when I go hunting, even in areas with no hunting pressure, they stay hidden until after dark. They seem to know the difference.

Some Old Guy

Great shots Dan!

I was there the same day as you and by the grain cars this guy was letting his two big dogs run around while he sat in his mini van. Those dogs cleared out every deer. There are better places for dogs to run.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest Dan

Great shots Dan!

I was there the same day as you and by the grain cars this guy was letting his two big dogs run around while he sat in his mini van. Those dogs cleared out every deer. There are better places for dogs to run.

Roger

I forgot to mention that when I was that day while I was stalking the non typical buck in the woods, this guy drives up beside me and tells me to stop harassing the wildlife. HUH??? I turned around to see Roger with his kids in the SUV checking out the Deer. What a great Dad. Speaking of dogs, I take at least one of my Border Collies with me when I go to the island. But I never let her out of the truck when we are near the Deer. I did take my youngest Border, Abby, out that day and took her for a run on the beach at the marsh. She had a riot!!!

IPB Image

IPB Image

Cheech

Fantastic pictures Dan. I too, get over to the Island as much as possible for deer pics. I'm just a few blocks from the bridge. There sure are some nice looking animals there. As for the dogs Roger, I thought it was illegal to let your dogs run loose were there's deer.Could be mistaken though.

Guest Dan

Fantastic pictures Dan. I too, get over to the Island as much as possible for deer pics. I'm just a few blocks from the bridge. There sure are some nice looking animals there. As for the dogs Roger, I thought it was illegal to let your dogs run loose were there's deer.Could be mistaken though.

Actually Cheech, I think it's illegal to let your dogs run on the loose anywhere. But I think you're referring to a story a few years back when the MNR culled a pack of wild dogs that were running down the Deer on the island. It's a shame that such a thing has to happen.

Cheech

Ya, that's probably where I got the information from. Are you using the Sony camera for those pics?

IPB Image

Guest canuck

Very nice photos.

As for the dogs. They are required by city bylaw to be leashed at all times off your property. And if I remember correctly they are not to be running loose where deer are either...might be in the hunting regs if I am not mistaken.

crisop

dan there are two monsters out there on the island. i was out there abotu a month ago and saw one by the grain elevators and the other in that guys yard across from dingwells, so have seen 2 monsters in different spots within 10 mins of each other and there is no way he could have ran that far that fast

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

Guest Dave

Awesome pictures im pretty sure I have seen a couple of thoose deer around there too. Was there earlier today and seen the deer with only one side of his rack pretty funny looking. Tons of healthy and huge bucks over there.

Guest Dan

Cheech. Yes, I upgraded to a Sony H1 last summer. The 12x optical zoom is great for shots like these. That's a beautiful photo that you posted. Is this a Mission Island Deer? What month was the photo taken?

crisop, I've also heard about the two monster Bucks. If they aren't in any of my photos above, then I haven't seen them yet. I've also heard that one of them has a broken leg. Anyone know anything about that??

Some Old Guy

Hi Dan,

Yeah I saw that one with the broken leg. You were on the other side just before I drove up and said hi. He was on the far side of you towards the bridge just on the other side of the shed. You couldn't see him from where you were unless you drove over to my side.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Cheech

Hi Dan. That is an Island deer and the picture was taken Sept 8th. I was going to pick up the Sony DSC-H1 but I waited and went for the DSC-H2 instead. The pictures both these camera's take are great and the price is pretty good too.The 12x zoom is what I wanted and cost not much more than a 3x. Both cameras are the same except for the pixel count which you really can't tell the difference. It's all in the lense quality. Try taking some pictures of the moon at night in all different setting and you'll be amazed. Here's a couple more Island deer shots and the broken legger too.

IPB Image

IPB ImageIPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Guest TerryK

Great shots guys! Too bad something can't be done about that buck with the broken leg. He won't make it through the winter I'm afraid.

Cheech

I know what you mean.It's almost sickening watching him walk.He's got that wierd looking rack and he's not as heavy as the other bucks, but last winter he was around and survived.I'm pretty sure it's the same buck because it was the same left rear leg on last years deer. There was an earlier post by Grouseman relating to this deer.I can't remember the exact time though.But he's a survivor.

Guest Norwester

The buck with the "broken leg" is a survivor. I'm not sure it's not so much a broken leg but a snapped tendon (similar to our achilies tendon) The MNR was called and told about this buck last winter... and a C.O. came out and checked it out. I was told that as long as the deer is able to get up and "forage" (I mean make it to the guys house that feeds him) he wasn't willing to kill it. I was driving by last winter and noticed he slipped and fell on one of the icy side roads. I stopped, from a safe distance, and was wondering if I was gonna have to give him the blunt end of the axe... but he managed to struggle to his feet and hobble off.

fisherdude

i also go there quite often..was there last night..saw a fox and only about 3 deer? thats the least deer iv ever seen there. iv also seen that one with only half a rack, but iv never seen that one with the broken leg..and iv bin there tons, there deinfltyy is tons of huge bucks, but theres two that are massive! the pic of the deer with half a rack by the fence..i saw him there to, was that taken recently? i might have seen him that same day in the same spot.

Guest Dan

the pic of the deer with half a rack by the fence..i saw him there to, was that taken recently? i might have seen him that same day in the same spot.

I took that photo last Saturday. The fence is down Baffin Drive, down by the railway spur.

fisherdude

yeah i think that was the same day then, same place but im not sure if that was the day, but i think so.