• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Current River...

Hey to all.

I live in Current River so I have spent many many days and nights fishing that river. More specifically the mouth. I have had success but it has been limited to a few big pike, pickeral or the odd salmon or steelhead coming in. I am just wondering if anyone has any "consistent" success on the river. For any species, and if so...got any hints or tips. I have also fished up the river farther up but I am more concerned with the mouth of the river.

Some Old Guy

I used to do ok there also. Never with consistancy though. One thing I remember though was a nice smallie of about a pound and a half I caught there. Anyone ever catch a smallie there or in Lake Superior around Thunder Bay?

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

gauge

not any smallies, but as kids we used to catch rock bass.

Gauge

www.teamnosa.com

www.kidney.ca

shmanks

as a kid me and my friend went to the mouth all the time...we got skunked so many times there only thing we brought in was a steelhead we got it on shore it flopped on the rocks and got away lol not like we were goin to keep it anyways. Soldiers hole holds some pickerel believe it or not caught quite a few pan size fish out of there the few times i went. But as for the mouth for me i never really had hope

Guest TerryK

I also live in Current River, and did so as a kid as well. Many a spring morning before school and later work, I would go down there for an hour or so and I almost always hooked up with a steelie or two, and sometimes a nice brook trout. Also, there used to be large numbers of spawning walleyes swimming around my legs while I was standing in the water. I also used to catch nice walleyes all summer long in the river and out in the lake but since the power generating station went in that has all changed. Inconsistent water levels seem to have driven the fish away. They seem to be around in the spring when the water is high and not affected by the station, but once the water drops, there is very often NO water at all below the dam when Mr. Whiteside is filling the lake back up after a generating cycle.

It's a damned shame.

I've fished it for probably 6 years now. Lots of big pike on the side of the river that the grain elevator is on. The pike were up to 20 lbs but they always had weird growths on them. Pickeral up to 5 or 6 pounds, caught more pickeral as shmanks said up at soldiers hole. Also somewhat better up the river a bit from the mouth, where cumberland crosses the river. But aside from that boulevards been the best producer of all species for me in that river system. Glad to know it's not just me who notices the inconsistency of the fishing there. Thanks alot guys for the help.

CaddisMan

I've caught smallmouth in Superior this spring. Amethyst Harbour area. I don't have very much patience at the mouth. I took my boat out there last week and trolled around only to get nothing. Anyone fish Boulevard with a float tube?

Cheech

Watched a guy pull a 2- 3lb Smallmouth out of the Kam River just under the Island Drive bridge two summers ago.

fisherdude

iv caught a few small bass at cr...and quite a few small pickeral on a flyrod..cuaght lotsa decent basss in the kam to,

Guest Wes

I think I may be the reason that no one seems to catch brook trout. I lived on Leslie as a child and would fishing the Current River as much as I could. I ate everything. Fishing was good back then.

Actually I still hit it with a fly rod every once in a while and I can still pull small brookies out of the holes I know. I too know about the walleye in soldiers hole. I never caught anything but brookies though.

beercan

I too, have lived in current river forever, and have never had very much luck in the lower part...go up Onion Lake Road, right on North Branch and fish just just above the bridge about 500 feet. I always used a floating jig or a fly with a worm and it worked every time (well almost every time) nice pan-size specs

Yeah I have alot more luck higher up the river. If you go up hodder and cross the highway to get onto copenhagen rd and keep driving you will come to a bridge on a bend, and i have always had good luck there for small specks. It seems the higher up the better. But sometimes alot of the river is dried up pretty good way up there where it crosses spruce river road.

Guest Munshaw

Don't forget to check the regulations for the Current R. I believe the first pool above the lake below the big slide is a fish sanctuary either part of the year, or all year round for walleye. It was a few years ago anyway, but you might want to check on that.

Guest Jimmy

night crawlers on a float has always done well for me . Small rock bass, walleyes, northerns ..but as Terry said is has definately gone down hill. Terry has shown me some great spots on the Kam for big smallies ...awsome times.

If it was posted with a sign at one point it no longer is. I have also never heard of this either. Luckily for me if it by some chance it is a sancuary, i have never kept a pickerel out of there, nothing but lake run fish or specks higher up. If this is indeed correct I would suggest someone talking to the MNR about re posting the area with a sign so that people can be aware of this regulation

Guest TerryK

Post hijack!:

Be careful Adam, you might get accused of something by posting a regulation reminder on here, I know I always am.

At my peril:

In the regulations, I can find no fish sanctuary for the Current river (but I'm sure the normal sanctuary below a man made structure applies to the ladder). The only exception is the no brook trout under 56cm (22in) that applies to all Lake Superior tribs in Zone 6. In the Current River's case, it's from the dam downstream.

I believe it is that you cannot fish 100 m below the dam. You can legally fish right above it, but you may not fish off of it, despite which side you are casting to. I believe I did post the question to the MNR on this site, go check it out.

Skidooman

Below the dam I believe it’s 22 inches for specks like most rivers in town 

• Like 1

Macbook10
On 10/6/2008 at 12:33 AM, Guest Wes said:

I think I may be the reason that no one seems to catch brook trout. I lived on Leslie as a child and would fishing the Current River as much as I could. I ate everything. Fishing was good back then.

Actually I still hit it with a fly rod every once in a while and I can still pull small brookies out of the holes I know. I too know about the walleye in soldiers hole. I never caught anything but brookies though.

any good holes on the river you'd share?

mad scientist
On 5/24/2019 at 8:44 PM, Skidooman said:

Below the dam I believe it’s 22 inches for specks like most rivers in town 

This is a bit complicated, bear with me...

The limit for brook trout in FMZ 6 is 5, not more than 1 greater than 30cm (11.8 inches)

The limit for brook trout in FMZ 9 is 1, must be greater than 56cm (22 inches)

The boundary line between FMZ 6 and FMZ 9 is the downstream edge of the bridge on Shipyard Drive

SO...between the dam and the bridge, you follow the FMZ 6 limit, below the bridge, you follow the FMZ 9 limit

BUT, it is illegal to fish in any manner within 23 m (75.5 feet) downstream from the lower entrance to any fishway, obstruction or leap.  so you can't fish from the dam, or near the fishway.

I'm going out to fish. - John 21:3