• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest graeme

Just an idea

Guest graeme

I was watching TV the other day and I heard about the west coast salmon stalks. They were talking about the right to fish and that first the right would go to the sport fisherman before the commercial fisherman. I was on the road today and ran into a hunting party from the states who harvested 2 bulls and a calf. They were hunting in WMU 16. The problem I see is with the the non-resident tag system. Why is it that American hunters are harvesting moose when I have friends that can’t get a tag? I understand that it brings in tourist dollars, but these guys weren’t hunting with a guide. I know in BC if you want to go after sheep and aren’t a resident you need to hunt with a guide, and I think this applies to all Canadian hunters. All I’m saying is that we are going to allow nonresident hunting you should have to have a guide; this would create jobs and make me feel better about the whole situation. I’m sure most of you would agree with me.

Happy Hunting

fishman1
I was watching TV the other day and I heard about the west coast salmon stalks. They were talking about the right to fish and that first the right would go to the sport fisherman before the commercial fisherman. I was on the road today and ran into a hunting party from the states who harvested 2 bulls and a calf. They were hunting in WMU 16. The problem I see is with the the non-resident tag system. Why is it that American hunters are harvesting moose when I have friends that can’t get a tag? I understand that it brings in tourist dollars, but these guys weren’t hunting with a guide. I know in BC if you want to go after sheep and aren’t a resident you need to hunt with a guide, and I think this applies to all Canadian hunters. All I’m saying is that we are going to allow nonresident hunting you should have to have a guide; this would create jobs and make me feel better about the whole situation. I’m sure most of you would agree with me.

Happy Hunting

your god da?m right. all nonresident hunters should be guided. i just came back from a bowhunt and the americans were hunting right beside me without a guide.

Gone8to1248

In all the hunts I'vebeen on in Ontario I have had to go through an outfitter. Has something changed since those day's? We didn't need a guide in the woods with us though, they were ussually back at camp. Isn't there something in your regulations about non-residents that own land or homes up there that they can hunt on thier own property for somethings though?

gone8to1248

Buck 120

As far as I know Americans NEED to be with an outfitter. The other question is why are they hunting moose PRIOR to moose opening tomorrow?

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Resource Pimp
As far as I know Americans NEED to be with an outfitter. The other question is why are they hunting moose PRIOR to moose opening tomorrow?

If rifle hunting, they would have had to be in one of the northern WMU's, or they could have been sliver slingers (archery) close to here. Both have been open since sept 20

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

fishman1
In all the hunts I'vebeen on in Ontario I have had to go through an outfitter. Has something changed since those day's? We didn't need a guide in the woods with us though, they were ussually back at camp. Isn't there something in your regulations about non-residents that own land or homes up there that they can hunt on thier own property for somethings though?

gone8to1248

the nonresident moose hunters have to stay at an outfitter but do not have to be with a guide. the hunter that we ran into said that he stayed in a trailer up the graham road in previous years. this is illegal as we spoke to a c.o. about it. the outfitter should not be allowing this illegal actiity and we will be watching this next year.

Gone8to1248

In the northern MWU's doesn't the gun season start earlier than the southern ones? I also thought that non-residents could only gun hunt above a certian parallel for moose. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. I only knew we had to go through an outfitter to stop the border jumbers that go home everyday, not that we ever needed a guide in the woods with us.

gone8to1248

p.s. I know a lot of states down here that have drawings for certain hunting licenses that a certain number of licenses are held back for non-resident hunters, it's called reciperocating I believe. If we can hunt in your area you can hunt in ours. In some states down here it has also gone to where we have to go through and outfitter from that state to get a license.

Buck 120

Sorry I forgot about archery. Thinking so much about rifle season that I forgot about archery. LOL

Guest firebird

I agree with Graeme. We had to move to a different WMU for moose this year because our group was to small to guarantee tags, yet the Americans get tags easily. Let them shoot their own (american) moose, bear etc. The Americans i see hunting have no respect for our outdoors, they only trophy hunt or just kill for the hell of it and then leave their garbage everywhere. And for tourism, you could raise the tag prices another $100 and they would pay it. They are exploiting or wildlife, why not exploit them. Sorry for the rant but this is a touchy subject for me.

fishman1
I agree with Graeme. We had to move to a different WMU for moose this year because our group was to small to guarantee tags, yet the Americans get tags easily. Let them shoot their own (american) moose, bear etc. The Americans i see hunting have no respect for our outdoors, they only trophy hunt or just kill for the hell of it and then leave their garbage everywhere. And for tourism, you could raise the tag prices another $100 and they would pay it. They are exploiting or wildlife, why not exploit them. Sorry for the rant but this is a touchy subject for me.

yeah, and keep them off the rivers in the spring.

Gone8to1248

Hopefully ALL Americans don't fit into this catagory as some of you think we do.

gone8to1248

Bernie

Some Old Guy

Hey, take it easy guys. All Americans don't fall into this catagory, and some Canadians do! I've seen messes made by all walks of life. And yes, when I see a mess I clean it up. Do you?

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Buck 120

What get me is the Americans that come here, drink our beer and eat up all of our French fries, salt and ketchup in our local taverns, not pointing any fingers Gone8to1248! LOL

Seriously though, there are many locals and people from Southern Ontario that fit the above description. Let's not get into American bashing. It is all of the non respectful people out there.

Bottom Bouncer
Hey, take it easy guys. All Americans don't fall into this category, and some Canadians do! I've seen messes made by all walks of life. And yes, when I see a mess I clean it up. Do you?

Roger

Hey Roger I recently went to shore for a shore lunch and not to my surprise there was several cans on shore, recently discarded in the past 4-5 weeks at the time. So I proceeded to pick up the site and clean up due to the fact that we had already started a garbage bag. My buddy was surprised to see me looking for a stick to also pick up 2 dirty DIAPER'S....he said that was crossing the line and I told him if I didn't, and no one else did, it would be sitting on that beach for about 300 years. Which means my great,great,great,great grandchildren would have to look at it, so I saved them the grief. Not to mention KARMA and I felt good about leaving the beach natural. don't get me wrong I wasn't exuberant in the picking up of the diaper's :P but hopefully the next group going to shore will appreciate a clean site and leave it that way. :D

REELBAIT

Some Old Guy

Right on Nisswa.

I clean up all the time at one of my favourite brookie lakes. Also at the lakes I go to. Kudos to ya!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Guest BannedCore

fishman1 one you are only bashing Americans on the topic. I have spent enough time in the bush to know that Americans and Canadians are no different in behavior when it comes to ethics in the outdoors. Canadians can get quite nasty during moose season and leave behind our share of garbage as well. (well some do leave it behind) The Americans are a small percentage out there. And shrinking all the time.

Guest BannedCore

Tourism is an Industry just like Foresrty and Mining, Oil and Gas. And it represents Billions of $$$$ to our economy. Yes there are some scars but that is no different than any other Inustry. Money makes the world go round.

fishman1
yeah, and keep them off the rivers in the spring.

just kidding, i fish with them in the spring. just razzing the boys.

Gone8to1248
What get me is the Americans that come here, drink our beer and eat up all of our French fries, salt and ketchup in our local taverns, not pointing any fingers Gone8to1248! LOL

Seriously though, there are many locals and people from Southern Ontario that fit the above description. Let's not get into American bashing. It is all of the non respectful people out there.

Hey Buck I'm just doing my little part in helping the brewing industry and the farming industry by drinking that beer and eating those fries with ketchup! I don't remember using ketchup on them though! Even tried to help the law enforcement industry out by skipping out without paying for them! Unlike dan I got caught, he will have to email me on how to get away without being caught next time. I think the barmaid has my number now and it wont be easy! :D

Gone8to1248

Bernie

Gone8to1248
I was watching TV the other day and I heard about the west coast salmon stalks. They were talking about the right to fish and that first the right would go to the sport fisherman before the commercial fisherman. I was on the road today and ran into a hunting party from the states who harvested 2 bulls and a calf. They were hunting in WMU 16. The problem I see is with the the non-resident tag system. Why is it that American hunters are harvesting moose when I have friends that can't get a tag? I understand that it brings in tourist dollars, but these guys weren't hunting with a guide. I know in BC if you want to go after sheep and aren't a resident you need to hunt with a guide, and I think this applies to all Canadian hunters. All I'm saying is that we are going to allow nonresident hunting you should have to have a guide; this would create jobs and make me feel better about the whole situation. I'm sure most of you would agree with me.

Happy Hunting

Could you please define what a guide is for me and why you think I should need one? Should we jst need a Canadian along with us because he calls himself a guide? Is this going to guarnatee me an animal? I rather doubt it. For some of us it's about the hunt and not the kill, so in my opinion one would think a guide would not be wanted because the chance of an unskilled hunter getting his animals drops drastically for him. How mant Canadians moose hunt every year and don't get thier moose? I'm sure thier is plenty by reading some of the posts on here and yet you get to hunt a lot longer than non-residents do. Maye THEY should be the ones hiring the guide! Just my thoughts here.

gone8to1248

gauge

I remember when I was working for a resort on Lac; I had one fellow from the states who was a LT. with the Minnesota state troopers. He decided to stop on an island for a shore lunch. He noticed a few beer cans that were left there, he ended up picking them up and putting them in a bag and placed in his boat to clean up some one else’s mess. Later on that day he was stop by the O.P.P. and they found the empty beer cans in a bag in his boat.

Well wouldn’t you know it they charged him with open liquor in the boat even though he had explained to the O.P.P. that he was just picking up some one else’s mess he was charged anyways.

I just hope it did not leave to bad of a taste in his mouth regarding Canada.

On another note, I have a few friends states side and they always tell me when they come up here, We have no idea what we have here in Canada them coming from big cities. Most I think really appreciate our surroundings and are respectful, just like always a few bad apples gets everyone stereotyped.

Gauge

www.teamnosa.com

www.kidney.ca

Bottom Bouncer

Happy Hunting

If you don't mind me asking Why can't your buddy's get a tag? There was a surplus in 15b this year. WMU 16 is one of the easiest area's for a tag. Secondly what lead you to the conclusion they had no guide? Just curious.

REELBAIT

Canucker

Not sure where you are getting your info from Firebird... tags can be purchased from outfitter allocations, which are minimal. As for littering, I don't think nationality plays a part in this. I just spent a week in the bush and did see a bunch of litterbugs, but they were from T. Bay, leaving broken beer bottles, rubber gloves, and what not, at a kill site in a cutover. Exploiting wildlife? How? You are right, this is just a rant, and pretty much groundless in my opinion. :wacko: