• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest deerhunting101

Bear Tags to increase moose populations

Guest deerhunting101

With the removal of the spring bear hunt is there any thought of going back to the old days by issuing a bear tag with the purchase of a moose licence. This is much before my time, and think it may help with the reduction of the number of bears. I know they will say if you want to hunt bears then purchase a tag. I'm not a bear hunter and not really into going out and baiting for them this really doesn't interest me, but myself and many other hunters will take a bear to reduce the numbers to protect the moose.

Also why do they now make hunters purchase an extra tag for wolves. It seems the MNR is doing all they can to reduce the moose population up in North western ontario. Does the MNR have any idea of the number of bears and wolves out there? I see more bears and wolves then moose now its crazy.

Guest MNR

To the best of my knowledge, there currently is no thought of going back to the old days of giving moose hunters a black bear game seal when they purchase a moose licence. In Ontario circa 1793, the “Act to Encourage the Destruction of Wolves and Bears” existed. We have progressed over those two centuries to where now the black bear is considered a big game mammal (not vermin) under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act (FWCA) with a regulated season, bag limit and firearm restrictions etc. An Ontario resident may now purchase two black bear game seals in any given year. Non-residents must hunt through a registered tourist outfitter or own land in a wildlife management unit that has a non-resident season or hunt with an immediate relative who is a resident of Ontario. Non- residents are limited to harvesting one animal per year.

The Timber Wolf has been persecuted for centuries and even as recently as 1972 when there was a $10 bounty paid to hunters for shooting each animal as a pest. Today, the wolf is protected under the FWCA.

Populations of bear, moose and wolf have co-existed in Northwestern Ontario for thousands of years. There are many factors that can influence an individual species population at any given time which include but are not limited to; predation, hunting, disease, environment (weather), food quantity and quality.

This forum was set up to allow members an opportunity to ask a local conservation officer questions and get clarification about the statutes and regulations pertaining to hunting, fishing, land use etc. If you have any further questions related to wildlife management, please contact your local Ministry of Natural Resources district office and ask to speak with the biologist.