• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest BannedCore

what came to moose calls?

Guest BannedCore

I have been told by two different moose hunting parties that they had a bear come in because they were calling moose. I was doing some calls while camping this fall and had wolves calling for 2 hours.

Some Old Guy

Hi Hardcore,

I'm not a hunter by any means but I think the bears came hopefully looking for an easy meal. Just like I have heard that after a few hours of a gun shot there are bears moving around the area hoping to clean up the left overs. They are smart animals and can put two and two together for an easy meal.

Almost like those predator calls that imitate a wounded rabbit, wolves foxes and cyotes come runnig in!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Jayfishin

I have friends and family who have hunted out west and have told me how the grizzly's are attracted to the sound of gunfire too. Once a moose or elk has been harvested hunters have to be quick on the cleanup process as the bears come fast to the sound/smells. I know of a few who have had to stand guard while another of their hunt party does the final cleanup/packaging. With the number of bears around Northern Ontario and the competition now for food (thanx in part to the cancellation of the spring hunt) it's not suprising that they are becoming more aggressive.

We also have sighted a few wolves late this summer which seems a bit unusual for this time of year. Probably due to the simple fact that there are more out there now.

Another predator which we may be hearing of more is the cougar. Our own (previous) liberal MP was quoted as seeing a cougar during his recent campaign travels in the northwest!

Jay

Guest BannedCore

I saw a cougar 7 years ago by Marathon. We also had one hanging around Gravel River resort a few years ago.

Buck 120

I saw one run across the highway near Mine Centre about 7 years ago as well. At first I thought it was a Greyhound and then thought to myself "what the hell is a Greyhound doing in the middle of the bush?"

The main thing I remember is the long curved tail and how it only took a couple of leaps to cross HWY 11.

Sorry I guess we are highjacking this post by going into a Cougar discussion. Roger if you see fit, feel free to start a Cougar forum. (LOL might get more ladies to join the forum LOL) - sorry I had to.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Guest Nick C

My brother and I were out for a walk in the parkdale area behind Canadian Tire last spring( their is some bushland behind there) and we saw a cougar circling 2 ducks in a small pond. It saw us and just stared at us. Scary stuff. They are incredibly large and much bigger than a lynx...sorry for the hijack B)

Nick C

Guest Tracker Pro V

Since this post has been hijacked ....

I remember seeing one around the camps on Middle Shebandowan... not that many years ago.

...and moose come out to the sound of a chainsaw.

Guest marz78

The best moose call I ever had was the slasher I worked on, The humming of the saw or the sound of it going through the wood must of drove them nuts... Don't now how many time while fueling would turn around and have 1 or 2 looking at me... As for doin moose calls while hunting, lots of bears not so much wolves calling back, but they sure should up during the night.

Travis Schallock

I've had bears come to a cow call a few times. And also seen bulls come to sound of cutting and splitting wood. Even had a cow come check out an outboard motor starting and stalling last year.(fuel pump acting up)

Travis Schallock

Nakina Fish and Game Club - President

RJS

I've had wolves howl while we we're calling in moose. We even had a moose coming into bow range and then wolves started howling and that's the last time we saw that bull, he headed for deep cover. We seen alot of bears last year but they haven't come into the call: yet! I talked with one bear outfitter and he says the wolves are coming to the gun shots in the evening so he can't leave any bears out overnight. He's had a few eaten and his clients weren't impressed. I think it's time to start carrying bear spray on my belt. Rob.