• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest wesm

GPS for hunting?

Guest wesm

Hello everyone. I'm thinking of getting myself a basic GPS unit for hunting and fishing. It doesn't need to be too fancy but I'd like something that I can download my way points onto my computer and vice versa.

I'm guessing that decent digital map files for this area are few and far between so this feature isn't completely necessary. Just something that will get me back along the logging roads and trails of this area.

Anyone have any suggestions as to models / price ranges / brands that work well for him up here?

Thanks for the help.

(Not being able to search for three letter words is a bit limiting on this forum software.)

Guest Patch

I used a Garmon RINO 530 Hcx this fall for the first time, worked great. It's a combo FRS radio/GPS. A really useful feature is being able to talk to and see where your hunting partners are on the map.

It's a more expensive unit, around $450 and you still have to get good maps which can cost upwards of $150. The Toponav and City Navigator North America NT maps are real good. The Toponav shows lots of trails and are pretty up to date. The Navigator ones have lots of POI's (points of interest) and again are pretty up to date.

Expect to upgrade the maps on just about any GPS you buy, generally the base maps that come with them just don't cut it.

Here's a good site for learning about all types of GPS and they can answer every question.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp

wicabel246

I agree with everything that Patch has said.and he is bang on about updating the maps, as the basemaps in Canada suck big time.

He is also corrext on the rino, I have 2 of them. if you don't want to invest in the gps radio, look at the map 60 cx. Another good colour unit, with ease of use. I also have the newest one out, the oregon. All touch screen, and easy to use as well. Talk to Adrian at KBM, and tell him Peter sent you. He'll set u up with what you need, and probably put some mapping in for you. Hope this helps. Peter

Master Baiter

I have the Garmin Legend HCX with all the maps loaded in from the Man. border to S.S.M.. It has the more sensitive antenna and upgradable memory, I love it and use it for both hunting and fishing. If your interested in one send me a pm (only thing is the price changes everytime the dollar does)

Mike

Master Bait and Tackle

If your not a Master Baiter, you'll never pull the big one!!

th_logo_teamnosa.jpg th_NSSAlogo.gif

Guest Kevin Green

I also use the Garmin Rihno 530. It is colour and as for the mapping software you can usually find someone that already has the discs and load them in off there software for free.

I highly recommend it. I had it out on Sunday in the freezing cold rain all day while I was fishing and it worked great. It is about $450.

If you didn't want to spend that kind of money I have a Garmin 72 which it is water proof and floats, it holds 500 waypoints for marking fishing spots, rocks, etc. You can save 20 routes and when you travel somewhere it will leave a trail on the screen where you went and you can easily follow it back o the road.

I have the dash mount for the vehicle, a cigarette lighter power cord and case.

If your interested send me a message and we will work out a deal. Cheap!!!!

Kevin 343-4860 or 629-4635

Cheech

I highly recommend the Garmin 60cx. I have the earlier version the 60c and the rest of my chums have the 60cx. Trust me you won't be disappointed.

Buck 120

Ditto, I also have the 60C and am very happy with it

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Guest stussy

I have a 60cx and love it. Used to have a 76cx but was to bulky. Also i did not like the buttons above the screen. The guys at KBM are great and prices are competitive. My 60cx i can have inside my snowsuit ice fishing and it still picks up the signal.

Guest wesm

Beginning to see a bit of a trend here. Thanks for the info, guys. I think I'll do this right and buy something like the ones recommended rather than try to go cheap on this.

wicabel246

and before purchasing one, go to see Adrian at KBMand talk to him. He'll get you the one you want, for the best price he can. And, he'll load some maps in there for you. Peter

Guest wesm

Thanks, anonymous. I was breaking the news of the latest purchase to my wife today mentioning the fine service I have heard about at KBM. It will be one of my visits for sure (seeing I still haven't been by there yet).