• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Trevor Zimak

Batteries and winter storage

Trevor Zimak

Just wondering what people do with your batteries.   I got 4 in my boat (3 Interstate SMR 31's and cranking XHD 24) I usally take them out and bring them inside, but they are more difficult to get at in this boat and are heavier becuase of the size of them.  Boat is storage in a garage so that should provide some insulation. Any thoughts?

Some Old Guy

Hi Zimmer,

I have kept my batteries in an unheated garage over the winter. It isn't the best for them. If you do this make sure the fluid is topped up and they have a full charge on them. Disconnect the wires from them also. Once a month check the charge and recharge if need be.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Dean

My dad keeps his 5th wheel trailer outside all winter with the batteries in it. We make sure they are fully charged before it is put away and plug the trailer in once a month or so to keep them charged. As long as they are kept fully charged we have never had a problem. If you let the charge go down then they risk freezing as the acid turns to water. If you have a way of easily keeping a charger on them then I would leave them in the boat.

Dean

Guest TerryK

Battery Tender, the ONLY way to go: http://www.batterytender.com/

These things work great. I've had mine for around 20 years and it's never given me a problem.

Never ever store batteries in your house. The gasses they give off are explosive to say the least. I speak from experience here. I had one blow up in my face when I hooked the charger to it and it sparked, setting off the gasses that were trapped in the corner on my garage, which in turn made it's way into the vent in the battery and the battery itself exploded. Luckily I had turned my head at the moment of the explosion so none of the acid hit my eyes, but I took a lot of it on my neck, side of my face, hair and hands. I must have been quite the site running out into the snow and turning the outside tap on myself...at 20 below. I did get some minor acid burns and I couldn't hear very well for a while.

Store the battery up off the floor so the fumes don't collect in one place, which is an explosion hazard. Furnace pilot lights can set them off as well. The rule of thumb I use is I store batteries like I would store gasoline.

Some Old Guy

Good points Terry.

That's exactly why I don't store mine in the house. I already lost one house (different reason). It isn't going to happen again!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

sinker7

After being in the automotive trade for many years selling both marine(RV) and automotive batteries I've had the chance to ask the manufacturers what is the best way to store them in the winter. The answer - in the cold. A healthy fully charged battery should be stored outside in a unheated garage or shed. Besides being used, heat shortens the life of a battery. The cold slows the battery plates and internal components from deteriorating and breaking down.

Guest stussy

lots of companies sell battery maintainers that monitor battery voltage and give a small charge as needed. You can probably pick one up for around 40 dollars. If you do leave them in the boat then disconnect the leads from the battery as sometimes there are small electrical draws that can kill a battery over time. A fully charged battery 12.65 volts and higher should never freeze.

Guest fishinbuddy

I have always stored my batteries in my house for the winter. But after reading this thread Im taking them out to my shed today. I been lucky so far I guess, because I always put them in my furnace room. The last thing that I want to do is have an explosion. Thanks for the info guys!!!!!!

Fishinbuddy

Guest Kevin Green
After being in the automotive trade for many years selling both marine(RV) and automotive batteries I've had the chance to ask the manufacturers what is the best way to store them in the winter. The answer - in the cold. A healthy fully charged battery should be stored outside in a unheated garage or shed. Besides being used, heat shortens the life of the battery. The cold slows the battery plates and internal components from deteriorating and breaking down.

Thanks for the info. I am moving mine from the basement to the shed.