• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

mikejson

To wash, or not to wash ... your fillets!

mikejson

Hey everyone,

I recently heard this when talking fishing talk at work, just wanted to know what everyone else does...

This one guy told me that you shouldn't wash your fillets until you are ready to cook them.

What say you to this?

I've always washed em after I was done cuttin...

Guest TerryK
Hey everyone,

I recently heard this when talking fishing talk at work, just wanted to know what everyone else does...

This one guy told me that you shouldn't wash your fillets until you are ready to cook them.

What say you to this?

Never heard that one myself. i always wash them as soon as I'm done cleaning the fish. Then, I usually wash them again before I cook them.

Some Old Guy

I rinse mine off after filleting them and they pretty much go straight into the pan. I just gut my fish when transporting them. I find it to much of a pain to leave that little tag of skin on.

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

sinker7

I never wash my fillets unless they have been frozen. I take extra care when cleaning to avoid getting any gut-juice on the meat. Why dilute the fine flavour with water?

Some Old Guy

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Gut-juice.

Roger

mikejson
I rinse mine off after filleting them and they pretty much go straight into the pan. I just gut my fish when transporting them. I find it to much of a pain to leave that little tag of skin on.

Roger

Ya, I will confess, I've actually transported without the tag.... I seem to have a big issue with getting the tag off without losing a bit of meat and it drives me nuts....

Lately I've been transporting with the entire skin left on, as I heard about the CO at Lac, and that's where I just was last weekend :P

Obviously, with the skin still on, it doesn't clean up too well

mikejson
I never wash my fillets unless they have been frozen. I take extra care when cleaning to avoid getting any gut-juice on the meat. Why dilute the fine flavour with water?

This is what my friend said actually... as long as you don't puncture anything, cut the meat clean off, and store it as is.... rinse lightly before cooking.

I guess I'll give it a shot to see if it really makes any difference.

Some Old Guy

Especially when I leave Lac I leave the fish whole so they can measure them. I always leave them whole now. I'll fillet them when I get home.

Roger

Guest Tracker Pro V

Johnson you got to clean them and I beleive with lake water is best without the chlorine.

unbedable

One of the ways I heard to clean a fish better, was to cut the gills while it was still on the stringer or freshly on the ice, as the meat was cleaner afterwards. I didn't want to try this as it seemed unnecessary, but any truth to this?

Guest Hoistanen

Amen. You don't wash a steak, do ya?

Some Old Guy

Never thought of it that way Hoist.

Roger

grumpy

I never wash the fillets.

and now it makes sence thanks Hoistenan

Guest Kevin Green
Hey everyone,

What say you to this?

I have heard similar theories that if you wash it too thoroughly you will was the flavour out of the meat.

If you ask me the flavour of fish is the grease logged batter not the meat :)

AB

Roger,

What do you mean "I wait till I get home to clean my fish?" Seems to me a lot of your fish guts have wound up in my garbage can!

As for keeping the fillets in better shape, with salmon on the west coast, and here as well, I've found that bleeding the fish as soon as the decision is made to retain it leaves the meat in better condition.

Before the fish goes on ice I slash the main artery leading to the gills. The fish dies quickly and most of the blood is removed from the muscle tissue. Once the fish is bled out, I remove the gills and internal organs.

I've found a significant reduction in gut juice on the filleting board and the flesh stays firmer. It does seem to make a difference in the table quality of the fish to me.

I know a lot of guys who do the same to whitefish and lake trout. Never bothered with walleye as they go from the live well to the filleting board. Can't get much fresher then that!

Has anyone tried bleeding out walleye and noticed an difference in their quality in the frying pan?

iceman

Master Baiter
Amen. You don't wash a steak, do ya?

Nope, but I'm not going to try filleting a cow either!!

But when I do cut off what I want I do wash it and then ride the rest home :D:lol: :lol: :lol::o

If your not a Master Baiter, you'll never pull the big one!!

th_logo_teamnosa.jpg th_NSSAlogo.gif

Some Old Guy

Iceman,

Yes a lot of my fish guts end up in your garbage can. True true true. But I only started eating walleye cheeks.................!!!!!!!!

Roger

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I only rinse my fish right before i cook them. If i am cooking them right when i get home i just give them a quick dip in water with ice cubes, it seems to firm them up a little bit and doesn't wash away much of the flavour

tracker

As Iceman says, bleeding makes a difference. I use a pair of garden shears and snip the gills and let them bleed out in the live well. Works great for bass as they seem to bleed twice as much as walleye.

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

Resource Pimp

I rinse my walleye fillets in fresh water right after filleting. Especially walleyes from very warm water in july and august , they have a bit of slim to them. The best thing you can do for taste is NOT freeze them . Eat em fresh

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

Buck 120

Whenever I freeze my fillets I fill the bag with water, this helps preserve and prevent freezer burn. Lately I leave the skin on as well as this seems to preserve the flavour.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Some Old Guy

I don't think I have frozen walleye to eat later in about 15 years. To me it tastes the same but it loses it's frimness I guess..... I don't know, just something different about it. Still tastes good though.

Castnblast

I prefer not to rinse. When I do rinse, I'll pat them dry with paper towel before throwing them in ziplocks.

cnb

Mr. Canoehead

In the summer I usually rinse them in salty lakewater, if they are bloody. If they're not bloody then I don't bother. The reason for the salt is because I read somewhere that lakewater bacteria can cause the meat to begin spoiling just as much as the blood can. I have definately noticed a difference in firmness.

In winter I don't bother since I fillet them at home. If I fillet on the ice it's because we're having a shore lunch.

I always rinse slime off fillets before I cook them. I rarely find walleye to be slimey, but PIKE on the other hand.. using my hands to scrub the pike slime off the fillets really works to gets rid of that fishy taste.

I freeze perch or pike fillets completely submerged in saltwater and they last forever. Trout and walleye get eaten fresh!!