• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Some Old Guy

Ok How about the craziest fishing contraptions?

Some Old Guy

What's the craziest or weirdest thing you have seen to catch fish?

Here's a couple.

I can't remember what it is called but it was a rocket (pump it up with air) propelled bobber and lure.

The other thing was a bunch of mirrors shaped like fish you hang under the boat to resemble a school of bait fish.

And of course, the classic BANJO MINNOW!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Bear

How about the Popeil Pocket Fisherman? I still have one.

Bear

fisherdude

hey wats rong with the banjo minnow? i got it for christmas one year and iv caught some decent fish with them...and the frogs it came with were the best lure iv ever used to largemouths!

Some Old Guy

What is that?

Roger

Some Old Guy

Ok fair enough. I haven't caught anything on it myself. (yes I bit and bought it) But I have heard of largemouth bass hitting it. We just ain't got none largies around here.

Roger

arvey

being a hobby collector you see into all kinds of strange ideas in books and such.the one thing i saw that was weird,is made by the detroit glass company. the lure was a test tube and you put water in it and al ive minnow and corked the end.it had a couple of treble hooks hanging off it and i guess you would troll with this and the minnow would be swimming in the tube.

arvey

Smokey

I heard Roger had a new invention for travel back and forth to the fishing grounds.

Nice ride Bud. :lol::lol:

Mike

Some Old Guy

Aw man! I can't see it! I live in the sticks and I'm still stuck on dial up! Anyone have a picture of my "new" ride so I can see it?

Roger

Guest fishinbuddy

Half a stick of dynamite and you have your pick of the bunch. Just remember not to take more than your allowable limit.

Fishinbuddy

Guest TerryK

There was an old gentleman from the Dorion area that used to WALK to Innes lake from Dorion. He had a boat and small motor stashed there for years. He would troll the lake with home made down riggers and do pretty well. The weird thing was what the down riggers were made of. The were 1.5 inch diameter, 3 foot long steel pipes, about half full of lead and welded closed at both ends. On one end there was a small ring welded to attach a rope and some sort of line release. He used to hang 2 of them off the back of the boat but he didn't just drag them through the water, he dragged them along the rocky bottom of the lake. It used to make a hell of a noise that you could hear from quite a distance away, but he still caught fish! I heard one year that he drown out there in the lake and sure enough, someone brought an urn with his ashes and left it by the west shore of the lake.

We managed to find a couple of his "downriggers" near where he kept his boat. They are still laying on the shore somewhere I'm sure.

• Like 1

Smokey

Sorry Roger I didn't know you were still on dail-up. Thanks for posting the pic bear. I'll try and explain for you it was a video on youtube of a guy that attached his motorized garden tiller to the front of his sled to pull him around. Actually a good idea but like it says very redneck.

Davis Viehbeck

The Dukey Rig, a rainy lake favourite of Jason Cain's.

Trevor Zimak
The Dukey Rig, a rainy lake favourite of Jason Cain's.

What the heck is a dukey rig?

Guest Wes

I too bit and bought the Banjo Minnow.

I have had really good experiences with it. One day on Little Sturge my brother and I hammered walleye for hours using the 3 inch. We couldn't believe it. They out fished live minnow hands down. largest around 6 lbs. and tons between 17" and 23". This was back in the 6 fish limit days, so a while ago now.

The frog is deadly on small mouth as well. When they are aggressive I usually toss out the frog pattern and have fun all day, or until the legs have been chewed off. I can still catch a few on the frog torso as well.. haha

That doesn't say much because when the smallies are aggressive, I can toss out my shoe and produce. haha

As far as gadets go, I created an auto jigger for my ice fishing rods. I used a wiper motor and some wiring to switches. Then made a wheel with a bunch of moveable pins in it to adjust the jig pattern. It ran off 12 volts. It was a little bulky but I didn't go far from the truck when I ice fished anyway so that wasn't an issue.

It worked quit well when I went to Nestor Falls for Crappie in the winter. I always found that when my bait stayed still I caught more perch and tulliby than crappie. And It was hard to keep 2 rods jigging while at least 1 hand was on a bottle of hooch! So I devised this plan to have a motorized jigger to free up boths for for smoking and drinking.. haha