• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
arvey

what do think?

arvey

here's something for you guy's to chew on.

who had the upper hand in fishing, the guys from days of old or todays? the fisherman from years ago had virtullay no

electronics maybe a flasher in the fifties,or maybe a map and not a depth map,otherwise it was read the shore line,or the water and learn the lake.things like inflows out flows,weed beds ect. i guess trolling the shoreline was the main tactic,yet you see pictures of guys with lots of fish and some pretty big ones. todys fisherman have accsess to all kinds of electronics, depth maps, tv's and the list goes on. there is way more info on fish and their habitat then was years gone by,

and today you see and hear of people catching lots of fish and big ones. i know there's a lot of other variables such as tackle,rods, reals accsess to more lakes.you really have to wonder where the fisherman of old that far off the mark.

arvey

Castnblast
here's something for you guy's to chew on.

who had the upper hand in fishing, the guys from days of old or todays? the fisherman from years ago had virtullay no

electronics maybe a flasher in the fifties,or maybe a map and not a depth map,otherwise it was read the shore line,or the water and learn the lake.things like inflows out flows,weed beds ect. i guess trolling the shoreline was the main tactic,yet you see pictures of guys with lots of fish and some pretty big ones. todys fisherman have accsess to all kinds of electronics, depth maps, tv's and the list goes on. there is way more info on fish and their habitat then was years gone by,

and today you see and hear of people catching lots of fish and big ones. i know there's a lot of other variables such as tackle,rods, reals accsess to more lakes.you really have to wonder where the fisherman of old that far off the mark.

arvey

I think today's anglers are way more effective. How could they not be? Mounds of knowledge and insight into fish behaviour and environmental factors that effect success ratios has been established, communicated and integrated into the sport over the past 50 years. (Not to mention advances and advantages of gear and technology)

In some cases, there may have been more fish, but today's serious modern angler is a lip rippin machine.

Just my opinion.

cnb

Guest crispy

I think that in time's past, the fish have thinned out. Yes we are more effective fishermen now and rely on the electronics to find the fish. My grandfather was an amazing fisherman, he could land a fly on a cigarette pack at somewhere around 30 ft(never actually seen it, but that's what my dad told me). He was quite amazing and fished the Thunder bay area his whole life. Everytime the family went to their camp on Lake Nipigon, we always had a trip out and always came back with fish and lots of them.

My opinion, electronics have helped us so much, that instead of looking at the lake and the way it's shaped and such, we too busy looking at our GPS and finders, I'm guilty of it. I can remember the first time I fished Whitefish, was about 5 years ago. I had no electronics and had no idea where to go. We stayed at Artesian wells and the old guy there told me of the trough and the hole for walleye's. He told me that people were starting to catch bass in the lake. So me and the ex tried the spots where the old guy suggested, nothing. So, since I had fished bass most of my life, we started cruising the shoreline to look for a good spot. I told her to cast right by a dead log and some weeds and sure enough, right away she pulled in about a 2.5lb'er.

Guest BannedCore

When I first started guiding North of Wawa my boss said real guides don't need fish finders and for 7 years I guided without one. Then when I started guiding on Lake St.joseph my boss said that all guides MUST have a fish finder due to the hazzards. (rocks everywhere) I believe that technology makes us WEAK unless you know how to fish and navagate using old methods. Sailors used to cross the Ocean 200+ years ago without technology. Todays sailors would be LOST without a G.P.S. When I was training new guides on Lake St.joe I told them not to rely on their depth finder or G.P.S but to always look for rocks and shoals visually as it is the best. One new guy later told me he smoked a rock because he was watching his depth finder and the numbers went from 40ft to 3ft in a heartbeat and by then it was too late. I do admit that the technology is nice and it really does improve our ability to navagate and locate fish better, But if you don't have the old school backround it could end up hurting you someday. I have also seen guys sitting in a spot for hours trying to catch Walleye that they see on their fish finder but they aren't catching anything. ( whitefish, not biting) all they did was waste time. I like to keep it simple when I fish and don"t really use my electronics that much and I do alright when it comes to catching fish. When I go out on the water I know that I will get back because I have the ability to do so. Some guys go out and if their G.P.S fails them for whatever reason they are LOST. electronics and fishing is amazing when you know how to use it, but the oldtimers were real men in my mind because they knew what they were doing and relied on themselves to catch fish and get home safely.

Guest Kevin Green

I have seen pictures of amazing catches from back in the old days but I have also heard many stories about the fisherman using Nets and Setting Night lines.

Also there was way, way less boat traffic and fishing pressure back in those days as well as lakes which you could call your secret spot which were relatively untouched.

These days there are no such things as secret spots as GPS mapping technology is amazing and allows you to find any lake your are willing to look for.

I used to fish the old school way of trolling around the shore lines with a 1/4 ounce sinker and spinner without a depth finder and caught lots of fish and you still can today.

But quite honestly thats a joke you don't have a clue how deep you are fishing in you could be trolling your spinner 10 feet down in 30 feet of water well anyone who fishes Walleye regularily knows that 90% of the little piglets are on the bottom.

Without a depth finder you miss the little spots that hold fish sunken humps in the middle of no where for instance.

Well I could go on for ever but I can honestly say that reduced limits, stiffer fines for poachers and all the other regulations the MNR has put into effect is noticeably helping our fisheries and if you ask me the future looks real bright.

Kevin