• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Gone8to1248

Props that come on new motors

Guest fishermedic

Thanks Monks.

I think I'm really starting to lean towards on of these. It'll let me play with the pitch for free until I get what I want and I can carry three blades as a spare prop (that should be easy enough to loose on the boat). Shiny would be nice though. :)

Monks
Thanks Monks.

I think I'm really starting to lean towards on of these. It'll let me play with the pitch for free until I get what I want and I can carry three blades as a spare prop (that should be easy enough to loose on the boat). Shiny would be nice though. :)

Being relatively new to the board I did not read an earlier post on composit props. Pretty much right except for one thing as with this post. It is not a negative that the composite blades shear off or break easier than a stainless. When you hit an object with your prop one of two things happen, the prop gets damaged or the lower unit. Now it is not the physical damage to the lower unit that gets hurt but the gears inside. The stainless prop may not be damaed as much by impact but that energy is then transferred into the lower unit which then impacts the gears in your lower end which = big $. The composite prop blades are designed to fail before your lower end. This obviously comes with pros and cons.

I am not promoting composite props, stainless or aluminum but you have to fit the prop to your application. I run a boat that does tournament fishing on some known lakes and then the next weekend I am on some tea stained lake I have never been on and then who knows where I am from there. For me and the 90 hp I run a composite ensures I have an easy replacement at all times no matter what with good performance.

Now if I had a larger boat with larger hp, that would change.

There is no right answer for prop type or size, the key I think is to match your useage to the motor specs and boat and you will be satisfied.

Guest fishermedic

I've read the same things Monks. I'm pretty much decided that I will run my stock aluminum prop for a while, break in the motor, get used to the boat and how it handles and then pick up a composite. Top speed isn't my goal so the increase in performance of a composite over the aluminum should be good enough for me. I'll play with the pitch on the composite to get the performance I want and by the time it's all said and done Ill know my home waters well enough that I won't be as concerned about hitting something with a stainless and causing some major damage. Then maybe I'll pick up a stainless prop and the composite will be my spare and my unfamiliar waters prop. Orrrr I'll be happy with the composite and I'll just carry the extra blades.

We'll see how this all goes, I'm likely to change my mind a few more times. :)

Gone8to1248

here is what i've gotten from different prop shops down here so far about a prop for my boat. Even though a 90 E-TEC SOUNDS big it is still classified as a small motor and a Stainless or 4 blade prop will really do me no good for the money that I would spend to buy one. The increase in speed would be very minimal as well as performance. This is ONLY based on my 90 E-TEC Motor! Because of it's low end tourque they all say it will come up fast with just a good matched aluminum prop. The composite from Piranha is more rigid than aluminum and is suppose to give you a better top end speed and hole shot over aluminum because it has less deflection. Once I try it out on the water I'll post the results on here. I have access to stainless props also and will try one to see what the difference is. All this information will only pertain to the 90 E-TEC.

Bernie