• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
fishman1

proposed bass changes

tracker

NISSWA: I can assure you that NOSA will not take out adds to inform the public. I have been posting as much info as I can to keep the website readers informed. There is always the few who don't get the paper, don't watch tv, don't listen to the radio, don't have a computor yada yada yada, I have heard them all. The MNR has a EBR website :

http://www.environet.lrc.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB...amp;language=en

that they publish all the proposals on. I recommend that every angler and hunter mark it in their favorites and visit it daily. I had posted the upcoming Phase II of the Moose Program Review a day ago and only 40 people read it. 109 people read Happy Birthday to George in the last 14 hrs. You tell me where people's priorities are at?????

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

Castnblast

I had posted the upcoming Phase II of the Moose Program Review a day ago and only 40 people read it. 109 people read Happy Birthday to Terry in the last 14 hrs. You tell me where people's priorities are at?????

arvey

i noticed on option 3,6 smallies any time of the year.i do believe this was the reg. before they changed it and when they did our smallmouth population around here wasn't hurting.although there are more smallie fisherman now than there was then.but really how many fisherman take their limit now? if option 3 was chosen i don't think it would hurt because it didn't before.

it seems that every time the walleye fishing at a lake starts to slow down people want to point the finger at whatever instead of what's really happening. you'll get reasons like the smallies are taking over or there's to many pike in the lake and all time favorite is the suckers are eating the eggs.this all may be true but only in part what about the fisherman who take a limit weekend after weekend and have a few fish fries in between.then there's the guy that will take his limit plus his/her kids and the kid still in dipppers and can't hold a rod.this all plays apart. there's a couple of lakes i've fished for years and the wally fishing has slowed down,the bass are plentifull but they've always been there so you can't blame them.it just that people are catching more smallies a less wally's so right away there's to many smallmouth in the lake.

what they don't see is 1 spieces is presured the other isn't.

i guess i've blabbed enough.

arvey

Resource Pimp

Having a 70 year family history on Shebandowan I can tell you there has never been a shortage of smallmouth in Shebandowan. 3 pounders and up were caught in the 1940's, 50's, 60's , 70's and 80's. Good bass fishing is nothing new to Shebandowan. Just talk to anyone who has at least a 20 + history on the lake

My personal opinion is there are more smallmouth now than before. Whether its true or not I can't prove it. I see more caught than I did before. If you talk to anyone who's been on the lake at least 10 years, they would probably feel the same way.

I do not view the regulation changes as an eratication or reduction of the species, I view it as way to keep the population at least in check and from getting out of control. With a limit of 4 any size, all year long (which is still less than the old limit prior to mid 1990's of 6 any size all yr long), you're still going to have excellent bass fishing. And you're still going to have good tournament fishing.

For the most part, unless you can get people to eat bass and more of them, increasing the season and limit will do nothing to prevent the species population from growing.

Like they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I think if they had left the limit at 6 any size all year long back in the 90's, you guys would still be tournament fishing and doing well at it in Shebandowan. Just my opinion

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

fishman1

kudos to the last 2 replys, i dont think anyone has anything to worry about.

GC 54

Can we see the scientific data to support the change, especially for Shebandowan?

When was the last creel census conducted on Shebandowan, and I am not talking about one taken during the winter?

The public can submit their comments/concerns, I know I am asking the above two questions.

You can also express your concern on this site, but act fast....

http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-External/index.jsp

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Resource Pimp
Can we see the scientific data to support the change, especially for Shebandowan?

When was the last creel census conducted on Shebandowan, and I am not talking about one taken during the winter?

The public can submit their comments/concerns, I know I am asking the above two questions.

You can also express your concern on this site, but act fast....

http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-External/index.jsp

There was no creel census or scientific data to support a reduction of limit in the last regulation change for Shebandowan. There was netting and tagging of smallmouth in Shebandowan about 8 to 10 yrs ago. I know one of the results was they don't move very far over the years from where they are tagged.

I for one would rather see at least the same amount of walleyes in Shebandowan 25 yrs from now. The scientific data does show that bass are predatory. Being that the case, we could stand a few less bass. Go to a campers association meeting and take a survey of people who fish the lake all season and see what they tell you about the bass population. You can't just worry about your own agenda of there being a trophey bass fisheries in Shebandowan for tournaments.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

Master Baiter

Well this has been an interesting read, but I wonder just how many of you will show up at the meeting and voice your opinions instead of just sounding off on a message board?

From my past experiences attending meetings as a member of several outdoor groups, its always the same people going to the meetings, and there are never very many people at all? ie. OFAH, NSSA, NOSA, etc...etc... its always the same core of people going to the meetings. (Myself I go when I'm not working) Everyone always says these are boys clubs or they always elect the same board of executives, etc etc but these are the guys and gals who show up at the meetings, some of them take on these position for the sole reason that there is no one else to hold these positions!

Now from what I have noticed about all of these postings is there is alot being said about Shebandowan, but not a whole lot about our other major lakes, Lac, Nipigon, and Dog?? Strange.... now as for the MNR not doing this and not doing that or this lake, there funds are so limited that I am surprised that they can even do one study never mind several. (In the last 15yrs of hunting and fishing I have yet to encounter a C.O.!!) A few years ago the MNR showed up at a OFAH meeting and discussed the "invasive smallmouth bass species" on Lac ( now this is where everyone says what about my lake) well they were monitoring Open Bay at the time and talking about how quickly the smallies were expanding into the rest of the lake. Then they talked about creel surveys in both summer and winter on Lac. So I am sure that they used part of this study and others to help with these new proposed fishing regs.

Roger you have hit the nail so hard on the head it went through the wood!!! If we all did some reading we would learn that yes smallies are an invasive species to our zone 6. And so are stickle backs, smelts, ruffe, etc, etc. the big difference is that some were put there on purpose legally, others illegally or accidentally; not to mention that some out compete the native species for food and habitat. Smallies not being native to this area are strangely showing up at resort/camp areas first and then spreading through out the lake and beating out native fish for food. And the part about the water bombers you told me the other day at DNR makes me think that you should be working for the MNR...seriously nobody I've mentioned this too has ever thought of this. (Still want to know your walleye milk run lol)

Lastly thanks for listening to my rant rant rant , $0.02, etc but we are all just backyard biologists, and observers of the lakes we fish in.

Lets see just how many people show up for this meeting!

MIKE :ninja:

If your not a Master Baiter, you'll never pull the big one!!

th_logo_teamnosa.jpg th_NSSAlogo.gif

Guest Dog in the boat

I have now read all the posted comments concerning the proposed changes to Bass in Zone 6. I own a camp on lower Shebandowan and I have fished Walley there religiously for at least the past 25 years and I do fish both Bass tourneys and I will continue to do so reguardless of proposed changes to the regulations. My point here is simply...So will you if you are like me!

I believe the M.N.R. will continue to manage the fisheries as they do and our various lobby groups that we belong to will ensure they perform in a "Timely Manner". I will be there to voice My opinion and you should to, and our spokesman can carry the voice of that club to the M.N.R., or you can voice your own opinion directly to the M.N.R., That is your right...but do it in writting, K?

I have a good grasp on fishing techniques, spawn grounds, as well the behaviour of both species in all seasons and weather conditions. I live to fish.

We keep Walley to eat, but I find Bass to boney and "wormed" by the 3rd week of June in Lower Shebandowan, by mid July in Middle and Upper. My wife does not enjoy eating Bass for those reasons, howerver I will continue to experience her inner child each and every time she hooks either "in the lip". There are many of you who will read this and agree.

The point... we all have our reasons for the opinions we put forth, and we have entrusted the M.N.R. with the science part, we should ensure the proposed changes from 2 under 12 inches before June 30, and 4 any size after June 30... to proposed 4 any size any time (or any other proposals) meets the scientific data collected. If that has not happened, it should!

All arguments can then be put to bed.

You must know from my experience there is a recognizable change in the bass behaviour mainly in Lower Shebandowan and mainly in the past 5 years. The bass are more prevelant in the "restricted walley spawn beds" in late May. There is a definite increase in bass population and feeding agression in predominant "walley" mid and late summer deep water holding areas.

The point... I have had my say in this forum, Thank you.