• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Gone8to1248

And the new boat is........

Gone8to1248

Went and got just about everything picked out and paper work startted for my new boat today and here is what I came up with.....An Alumacraft Navigator 165sc fitted with an E-TEC 90 hp motor, a 82lb 24 volt Minnkota Terrova trolling motor for the bow and we are still looking at locators. I kind of like the Humminbird 997 or the 1197(bigger screen and more whistles) It will come with a stainless prop fitted to that boat and I got them to throw in an aluminum one also for a spare. Once I figure out what exactly I'll have for electronics I'll post it on here, I want want at the console and one atthe bow. The trolling motor has the transducer built into it (dual frequency) but no auto pilot,YET!

This is the boat that our TBF kids will be fishing out of for the AYA and the boat I'll be using when I come back up this fall and teach Trevor and George how to catch smallies on Shebandowan! :lol::lol: You notice I left Bears name out of that! Crazy I am Stupid I'm not! :D

gone8to1248

Bernie

Buck 120

Good for you Bernie, enjoy!

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Bill Arnott

Sounds sweet Bernie. I highly recommend the 997si. I'm sure the 1197 is even nicer.

>Bill

CRESTINER BOATS SMITHS RV BRENNEN FORD THUNDERBAYFISHING.COM

Bottom Bouncer

Bernie just a quick note, I have a LOWRANCE LCX27C with a 7" screen and GPS, it works dynamite. They retail for $1,000 US and they are on sale at REED'S Sporting Goods in Walker MN for $700. FYI. CONGRATS on the "NEW" boat sounds like your one step closer to owning a "LUND" :D:D... OH YA by the way you can put BEAR in the mix because according to ZIMMER'S he's going to "WHIP" all of you. :lol:

REELBAIT

DJL66

Congrats Bernie, sounds like an awsome package. The hard part now will be looking at it till the ice thaws. Only 3 more months!! Enjoy your new ride. Don

Some Old Guy

Right on Bernie!

I looked online at the boat and it looks like quite a bit of fishing room!

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Bear

Sounds like a great unit Bernie, I am sure you wont be disappointed.

By the way ZIMMER, bring it on......whip me, whip me.....

Bear

Gone8to1248

Thanks to Bear,George(GC54),Roger,Trevor,and all the rest of the people that fished the fall Shebandowan Smallmouth Tournament last year for getting my blood rolling about getting a better boat! It's all your guy's fault! :lol: I had so much fun in it I wanted to be able to do more of them without having to count on someone else having the boat all the time.

My little 14footer with the 15hp is great for small lakes fishing and back road traveling but just wasn't going to hit it in those tournaments. I startted looking last year on the way home from the tournament and has taken this long to pick something out. I will also add that a lot of members on here gave me some very helpful and greatly appreciated advise on what to look for. What I did was picked the brand of motor I wanted and built the boat around that. I knew I wanted to go with the E-TEC by Evinrude because of all I had heard about it and researched on it. Because more companies are going with certain brands of motors on their boats the selections are getting harder to make. Down here Lund ONLY comes with a Merc motor and not being a fan of Mercury that eliminates Lund right off the bat. Honda is a good motor but has a problem with parts availabilty a lot. Yamaha was my second choice because of past experience with them as well as Johnson motors. I find both pretty well trouble free. The Alumacraft is a big thing down here especailly in the Navigator family of theirs. Lots of our tourny guy's use them.

When selecting a boat here are several questions you have to ask yourself before buyig one and only YOU can answer them. What kind of fishing am I going to be doing? Tournament or Recreational/Sport? Where am I going to use this boat and how often on different types(bodies) of water, say a small lake compared to something like Lac? How often am I going to be on rivers compared to big lakes. Do all the places I want to fish have good launchs that I can get this rigg into? How big of motor do I REALLY need? That one takes a lot of thought. Do you need a lot of speed for tournament fishing or moderate speed for sport fishing? Keeping mind the minimum and maximum hp rated for the boat. There is many thoughts in that area of selection. Make sure you have enough power for those bad days on the water when winds become a problem. A 40hp may move the boat in calm water very well but with a cross wind of say 30-40 miles an hour that could pop up it may not be enough hp to handle the boat safely. There is no boat you could say is the perfect boat for all situations, but you can find a happy medium that will work for you. Mine is listed above!

Once again thanks for all the help you gave me on making this selection.

On a personal note about the fall SSS, we can all joke around about beating one and another but the bottom line is that there are some great fisherman in it and last year I personally just got lucky those days. Bear carried the tournament in our boat and with out his help and tutoring I didn't have a prayer. If I ever beat some of these guys again you can count on one thing and that it was purely luck! For now that is! But I will be working on my skills and knowladge. To see guy's like Bear,Trevor,and George and a lot of the others out there it is like watching the Masters at work and don't kid yourselves on that one!

Bernie

Lets see, I've learnned about Brookies from Randy and Peter,About Steelhead from Terry,Smallmouth from Bear, I guess the next thing I'll have to work on is walleye. Oh "Mr. Walleye" Roger you have any free days open this year! ;)

GC 54

Bernie, congrats on the new rig, excited to see it. If you are going to go all the way, go with the 1197 for the extra cost, it is great looking at the 'big screen' as you get older. You will enjoy getting back into the 'fun' of tournament fishing. Wont be long. However, again this weekend the ice is getting thicker.

As for putting my name in the category of a master, the only time I was a master was when I was young and my grandma mailed me a birthday card addressed to Master George Clark. Oh yea, sometimes the spouse of our house has made the comment, "yes master". lol

I have long lost that title for sure, it is now just Mr., I guess as of yesterday it is now Sr. But you can still call me George. My father-in-law used to say, 'its awful getting old, but the alternative is a lot worse'.

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Gone8to1248
Bernie, congrats on the new rig, excited to see it. If you are going to go all the way, go with the 1197 for the extra cost, it is great looking at the 'big screen' as you get older. You will enjoy getting back into the 'fun' of tournament fishing. Wont be long. However, again this weekend the ice is getting thicker.

As for putting my name in the category of a master, the only time I was a master was when I was young and my grandma mailed me a birthday card addressed to Master George Clark. Oh yea, sometimes the spouse of our house has made the comment, "yes master". lol

I have long lost that title for sure, it is now just Mr., I guess as of yesterday it is now Sr. But you can still call me George. My father-in-law used to say, 'its awful getting old, but the alternative is a lot worse'.

George

Give yourself more credit there! In 3 days I turn 61years old! Now that is old! But as I look at it, "It's better to be looking down at the daiseys then looking up at them"! I plan on looking down for a long time yet.

Bernia

Bottom Bouncer

Your right Bernie all the Jokes and Jabs are all in "FUN". Like my jab about the Lund. I would loved to have bought a Alumacraft but my Pro V came up first on the "USED" boat list so that's what I ended up with. As for the SSS that could be anyones game. There are some heavy hitters in the mix and it is really about who has the best day. I for one don't fish for those funny football shaped fish, but my boy's like catching them. So once again congrats on your new boat (I'm jealous) I'm sure you will have many years of enjoyment with it. As for funny Jokes, I liked the one about ROGER taking you out for WALLEYE and catching, that was pretty funny too. :D Bernie remember if you get an offer to go Walleye fishing with GC54 or Zimmers, they don't catch anything but they have really nice boats. :lol::lol::lol:

REELBAIT

Guest Munshaw

If you're in the market for a Humminbid finder, I'd jump on those Cabela's sale's quickly. I believe some are $300 - $500 off right now.

Trevor Zimak

Bernie there is a nice lowrance LCX-38cHD in the buy and sell. Good deal too. I got two Lowrance 113cHD's and all I can say is they are awesome units. As for hummingbird, George told me he was switching over to Lowrance.

Gone8to1248
Sounds like a pretty damned nice boat Bernie. Looking forward to fishing from it! :P

You got it my friend!

Bernie

Gone8to1248

Update on new boat:

Today I purchased the electronics for it and I'm going with the Humminbird 363 combo on the bow slaved to a ...................997SI on the console! I also found out that the trolling motor DOES have the Auto-Pilot. The only thing it is missing and I will pick up is 2 books titled "Boys First Book On Fishing" for George and trevor for when I take theem out on this thing and show them what I learnned from a REAL Pro Bear about smallmouth fishing! :rolleyes::lol::P Just kidding there guy's you have both been a big help with your input on this project. trevor I will work on the prop choice as soon as I can get it in the water here. Will let you know what I come up with. They say this thing should push the high 40's to 50 mph with a stock prop.

Bernie

GC 54

Bernie, got your PM, and yes it sounds like you are setting that boat up just fine. It sure is nice to get a new boat already rigged properly. You hear so many horror stories of those who have to rig their boats themselves since the local marine dealers cannot do a decent enough job.

120 more days I think till walleye opener!

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Gone8to1248
Bernie, got your PM, and yes it sounds like you are setting that boat up just fine. It sure is nice to get a new boat already rigged properly. You hear so many horror stories of those who have to rig their boats themselves since the local marine dealers cannot do a decent enough job.

120 more days I think till walleye opener!

I have been lucky to get you guy's up there in Canada that fish tournaments and the local Pro's down here to help me get this all set-up right before I hit the water. I'll be looking forward to going up against you all this year and now might evn have a chance.

Guest canuck
Sounds like a pretty damned nice boat Bernie. Looking forward to fishing from it! :P

Me too...me too!!!

Shane

NWO Fishing Bum

Congrats Bernie. Looks like a nice rig!

NWO Fishing Bum

Bill Arnott

Nice that you could get it in CANADA red!!!

Nice rig Bernie - congrats...

>Bill

CRESTINER BOATS SMITHS RV BRENNEN FORD THUNDERBAYFISHING.COM

Smokey

Sounds like a beauty and I'm hearing nothing but great things about the e-tecs. It should do you well.