• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Matt M

Portable Ice Shack Heat

Guest Matt M

Hey guys,

I have been looking to buy a propane heater for my 2 man ice shack. I was wondering what everyone is using, or what you might recommend. I need something small and portable because I will be walking to all of my fishing spots. Size, BTU's?

Thanks,

MM

Bottom Bouncer

Matt I bought a Buddy Heater this year and it works great in my 4 man ice cube. I believe it is 4000-9000 BTU. But I must admit it wasn't super cold when I was out either. but cold enough that the guy's outside the tent were cold and had there backs to the wind.

REELBAIT

Guest Matt M

Are you using the 1 pound propane cylinders or do you have it hooked up to a bigger one? How many hours of heat do you think you get on one tank?

uncle
Matt I bought a Buddy Heater this year and it works great in my 4 man ice cube. I believe it is 4000-9000 BTU. But I must admit it wasn't super cold when I was out either. but cold enough that the guy's outside the tent were cold and had there backs to the wind.

Were you able to buy the Buddy Heater in Canada Nisswa, and if so where? They are neat little heaters.

arvey

not to but in, i did see one at maier hardware on algoma the one at maiers was 100 bucks more than the states.

arvey

Barrski

I fish in a 3 man portable ice hut and I find the Mr. heater works good. It screws right on top of the propane tank, I use a 10lb bottle and it lasts about 12-15 hours. No hose to trip over and easy to set up and puts out 8,000 - 14,000 BTU's. I bought mine at Canadian Tire for about $70-80 bucks. Bass Pro sells them as well.

barrski

Guest Matt M

Thanks for the info guys. I think I am going to look for a 5lb or 10lb tank and throw a sunflower heater on top. Those extra BTUs are nice when the wind is blowing like it has been. Good luck fishing!

MM

Bear

Buddy Heaters are availabloe at Princess Auto in Winnipeg, they will ship.

They have a website www.princessauto.com

Bear

Bottom Bouncer

I bought mine on E-Bay Brand New for $60.00 US and $10.00 shipping to the border. I only used it once this year and the 1lb propane cylinder lasted pretty much from 9:30am-3:30pm and didn't run out. My Buddy heater is designed for indoor use. I don't no for sure but I don't think the Sunflower units are designed for indoor use but I may be wrong, I would check into this Matt.

REELBAIT

Guest Matt M

Looks like all we had to do was start talking about some heaters and now we have some warm weather on the way for the weekend!

Guest Matt M

So with no resonably priced buddy heaters in town I decided to pick up a Coleman Blackcat 3,000 BTU portable. I tried it out on Monday at Silver Harbour when it was around -13, with a wind of about 10-15 mph that made it closer to -20 and it worked great. It kept the inside of my shack above freezing temps all day and used less than 1 ln of propane in 6 hours. I bought the unit from Canadian Tire for $90 and then found the same one at Wal-Mart for $68 later that day. So I went back to CT and they were happy to match Wal-Mart's price, and they also handed out and additional $7 in CT money! Thanks for everyone's advice.

Matt

Guest Tracker Pro V

Did you find a smaller propane tank, because I really like my sunflower but the 20 lb tank is to heavy and bulky to move around.

Guest Matt M

Hey Tracker Pro V,

I looked around with no luck of finding anything smaller than a 20 lb cylinder. The heater I have runs on the small 1 lb bottles. I am going to buy the hook up so I can just refill them because they are so small and convinient. Do you know where I might be able to find a sleigh to put my gear in? I have been looking but havent had any luck.

Mr. Canoehead
Hey Tracker Pro V,

I looked around with no luck of finding anything smaller than a 20 lb cylinder. The heater I have runs on the small 1 lb bottles. I am going to buy the hook up so I can just refill them because they are so small and convinient. Do you know where I might be able to find a sleigh to put my gear in? I have been looking but havent had any luck.

You can refill the 1lb bottles? Where do I get the hook up for that?

ralphthedog
You can refill the 1lb bottles? Where do I get the hook up for that?

I have an adapter that refills the small 1 lb bottles. I bought it from Cabela's. Only one catch, it doesn't work in Canada. To use it, you have to turn the larger bottle upside down to fill the smaller bottle. Apparently there is a 'roll over valve that prevents propane from flowing out of a larger bottle when it is upside down. Doh!! I guess they don't have this safety standard in the US.

E-Z Propane Filler

GC 54

I have an adapter that refills the small 1 lb bottles. I bought it from Cabela's. Only one catch, it doesn't work in Canada. To use it, you have to turn the larger bottle upside down to fill the smaller bottle. Apparently there is a 'roll over valve that prevents propane from flowing out of a larger bottle when it is upside down. Doh!! I guess they don't have this safety standard in the US.

E-Z Propane Filler

NOTE: IT IS ALSO ILLEGAL TO TRANSPORT REFILLED 1 LB BOTTLES IN CANADA AS WELL! JUST A HEADS UP!

And remember, the 1 lb bottles are called disposable. Just dispose of them properly. And be safe!

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

fishman1

my friends have purchased the adapters to refill the 1 lb bottles and they said that they did not work. they did not supply the pressure to fill the 1 pounders sufficiently. they did fill the bottles , but not that great and were disappointed in them.

Guest Beamer

I use a small propane one that attaches to a five pound cylinder, you can see it in the picture I attached. I got it in the states( Sportsman HQ in International Falls), it is very efficient and runs a long time on a five lber compact(Heater part swings down for storage) and I store it in my portable hut.

P1130067.jpg

Mr. Canoehead

Good info on this thread so far..

Question: I want to use my 6x6 shappell icehouse (it's like the ice cube) for a convenient winter camping shelter. I plan to sleep on a cot and my sleeping bags are for -19c (so they are comfoble to around -5). I tried my white gas stove and it gave me a buzz before it really heated much. From your experience how many BTU's would you recommend, and are any of these heaters really safe for sleeping with?

Thanks.

John

Great picture Beamer!

Guest Pub

Barrett's Piranah Prop Shop sells the Buddy's and a lot of other things you may not know about. He is located on 121 W. Francis St. Operates from his home. He's in the book, or just google it

Guest fishinbuddy
Barrett's Piranah Prop Shop sells the Buddy's and a lot of other things you may not know about. He is located on 121 W. Francis St. Operates from his home. He's in the book, or just google it

Is that Les Barrett who does this?

Fishinbuddy