• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Resource Pimp

Perception on bass spawning

Perception on bass spawning  

22 members have voted

1. 1. On a lake the size of Shebandowan, actually lets say it is Shebandowan, how many bass would you say spawn per season?

• More than 10,000

Resource Pimp

I'm just curious as to people's perception or opinion on this? In Shebandowan specifically since alot of you fish it.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

Davis Viehbeck

Hi There:

Without having an actual population estimate of the bass population, this poll is difficult to answer with any degree of accuracy. The MNR has conducted several Near Shore Community Index Netting (sampling protocol) studies throughout Ontario that can provide resource managers with more accurate information on the status of a bass population. There have been a number of studies that indicate only a relatively small portion of a lake's entire bass population actually spawn on a given year. Smallmouth bass in particular spawn at in different stages (early spawners/ late spawners). As an example, I've seen males guarding 'nests' at the end of July on some large, clearwater shield-type lakes to the west of Thunder Bay when the brunt of the population based on observation and comments from other anglers took place towards the end of June.

-Davis Viehbeck

Resource Pimp
Hi There:

Without having an actual population estimate of the bass population, this poll is difficult to answer with any degree of accuracy. The MNR has conducted several Near Shore Community Index Netting (sampling protocol) studies throughout Ontario that can provide resource managers with more accurate information on the status of a bass population. There have been a number of studies that indicate only a relatively small portion of a lake's entire bass population actually spawn on a given year. Smallmouth bass in particular spawn at in different stages (early spawners/ late spawners). As an example, I've seen males guarding 'nests' at the end of July on some large, clearwater shield-type lakes to the west of Thunder Bay when the brunt of the population based on observation and comments from other anglers took place towards the end of June.

-Davis Viehbeck

I understand that Davis, this isn't scientific, a lot of guys on this site fish the tournament or fish Sheban recreationally. The people that do fish Sheb can at least take a stab at an opinion based of their fishing success. I'm not looking to rub anyones nose in anything.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Click on banner to visit

Bedas Lodge.

bedaslogo.jpg

Thefishleclair

That is a hard one....I guessed 5000.....I fish a lake west of T.Bay...Real cold clear water and I bet they spawn in July like DV says...

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

arvey

i'd have to agree with davis,only because of a conversation i had with bob izumi many years ago.i asked why would smallies still have spawn in them in early august? his respounce was that not all smallies spawn at the same time and not all smallies will spawn.

arvey

Guest MiniMe

I would say at least one million. Thats all I ever caught out of that lake. Went walleye fishing there twice adn never cought one walleye. Lots fo bass though

Castnblast
Hi There:

-Davis Viehbeck

Hey Davis, could MNR actually come up with a population estimate "number" with any degree of accuracy?

I'm sure that they could confidently state whether not not a population was healthy or not, but how would an actual number be established? With all lakes being unique, how do you estimate with accuracy without previous base line data?

Just wondering.

NWO
I would say at least one million. Thats all I ever caught out of that lake. Went walleye fishing there twice adn never cought one walleye. Lots fo bass though

I've gone "bass fishing" at Shebs and caught limits of incidental walleye.......many times.

Castnblast

Hi Davis,

can OMNR determine a pop # in a lake like Sheban? How?

Thanks,

cnb

Davis Viehbeck

Hi There:

The MNR currently uses the 'Near Shore Community Index Netting' (NSCIN) sampling protocol to evaluate the status of fish species that typically inhabit the 'near shore' or litoral area of lakes. This is a non-lethal sampling method so full biological sampling isn't undertaken. The sampling protocol provides resource managers with information on abundance, weight, size at age, age class composition, etc. The intention behind NSCIN is to compare lakes to provincial benchmark lakes which allows managers to make comparisons on abundance, etc. For more information, visit: http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/226869.pdf

Assessment of individual lakes will only occur on specially designated waters (SDW's) such as Lac des Mille Lacs, Whitefish and Lake Nipigon unless the lake is selected under the new broadscale monitoring protocol through the ecological approach to managing fisheries on a landscape basis. For further information, contact Thunder Bay District MNR at 475-1471.

Thanks,

Davis

Hi Davis,

can OMNR determine a pop # in a lake like Sheban? How?

Thanks,

cnb

Bottom Bouncer
Hi There:

The MNR currently uses the 'Near Shore Community Index Netting' (NSCIN) sampling protocol to evaluate the status of fish species that typically inhabit the 'near shore' or litoral area of lakes. This is a non-lethal sampling method so full biological sampling isn't undertaken. The sampling protocol provides resource managers with information on abundance, weight, size at age, age class composition, etc. The intention behind NSCIN is to compare lakes to provincial benchmark lakes which allows managers to make comparisons on abundance, etc. For more information, visit: http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/226869.pdf

Assessment of individual lakes will only occur on specially designated waters (SDW's) such as Lac des Mille Lacs, Whitefish and Lake Nipigon unless the lake is selected under the new broadscale monitoring protocol through the ecological approach to managing fisheries on a landscape basis. For further information, contact Thunder Bay District MNR at 475-1471.

Thanks,

Davis

Davis...This summer the nets used on the local lakes were "GILL NETS" which are lethal and when the MNR was asked why? they said they needed the fish "DEAD". It would have been nice if there was an alternative.

REELBAIT

Davis Viehbeck

Hey Larry,

I would recommend calling Northwest Science and Information for more information on the netting you're referring to. The logic behind using gill nets is to get full biological samples including aging structures such as otoliths, maturity data, as well as contaminant samples for the MOE 'Guide to Eating Sportfish'.

-DV

Davis...This summer the nets used on the local lakes were "GILL NETS" which are lethal and when the MNR was asked why? they said they needed the fish "DEAD". It would have been nice if there was an alternative.

Bottom Bouncer
Hey Larry,

I would recommend calling Northwest Science and Information for more information on the netting you're referring to. The logic behind using gill nets is to get full biological samples including aging structures such as otoliths, maturity data, as well as contaminant samples for the MOE 'Guide to Eating Sportfish'.

-DV

Thanks Davis. :)

REELBAIT