• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bottom Bouncer

Stretching your "WALLEYE"

Bottom Bouncer

This maybe old news to some but it was new to me and I've been frying walleye for a long time. I would just like to share this "Resourceful Tip" that was brought to my attention last summer. For years I have always fried walleye looking like a pair of pants (two strips joined by the tail section) Then my buddy said why don't you cut the pants(fillets) in half length wise (up the crotch) :o . Then you would have 2 pieces instead of 1 and it would be easier to flip in the pan. If you do the math...4 Walleye= 8 fillets cut those in half and you have 16 pieces. WOW what a difference. I don't know if it's psychological or what but we really think as a family were eating more, and the funny thing is were not. It definitely looks like more fish. Anyways next time you cook your limit of Walleye try turning your 8 pieces into 16 I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how many you can feed because it's a sure way of.... Stretching your "WALLEYE". :)

REELBAIT

Thefishleclair

I thought you were supposed to bake walleye???? Ill have to try this cuttin trick

Grumpas' Baits

Check it out on FB

Guest Nonus

Classic technique it is, good for stuffing the item and for turning small chunks of meat into a nice flat steak.

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Oven??? your one of those people who cook your fish eh, cooking takes away the flavor I just fling it out of the water onto my plate and chow down, cuts down on the fish smell too. ha

Guest RAMBO

I forgot to edit my post lol I was actually joking but we used to bake them in the oven. But wallye don't taste the best that way lol so now we fillet them.

RAMBO

Mr. Canoehead
I forgot to edit my post lol I was actually joking but we used to bake them in the oven. But wallye don't taste the best that way lol so now we fillet them.

RAMBO

If you cut the fillets into smaller pieces, you get more breading on them because more surface area is exposed. Maybe that's why it seems like more. I like to cut them into "fingers" as well.

WalleyeWayne
This maybe old news to some but it was new to me and I've been frying walleye for a long time. I would just like to share this "Resourceful Tip" that was brought to my attention last summer. For years I have always fried walleye looking like a pair of pants (two strips joined by the tail section) Then my buddy said why don't you cut the pants(fillets) in half length wise (up the crotch) :o . Then you would have 2 pieces instead of 1 and it would be easier to flip in the pan. If you do the math...4 Walleye= 8 fillets cut those in half and you have 16 pieces. WOW what a difference. I don't know if it's psychological or what but we really think as a family were eating more, and the funny thing is were not. It definitely looks like more fish. Anyways next time you cook your limit of Walleye try turning your 8 pieces into 16 I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how many you can feed because it's a sure way of.... Stretching your "WALLEYE". :)

It also works great for removing the lateral bones. Slab the side off - carve (or flick) the rib cage out - skin the fillet - slice the fillet 2" up the middle of the tail (from the rear end) - hold both sides with your hands and split them apart like a wishbone - feel for the lateral bones on the side the lateral bones stayed attached - make another small incision from the tail where the lateral bones remained - grab that piece and the fillet again and "tear" them apart - the lateral bones will tear off just like a zipper. You end up with two straight sides that fry up nicely.