• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crossfire700

fire on the ice?

Guest Crossfire700

is it illigal to have a fire on the ice while ice fishing for warm and cooking? where would i find documentation on it being legal or not?

Guest MNR

Under the Lakes and Rivers Improvement Act, it is technically illegal to have a fire on the ice, unless all the debris is removed from the ice and shoreline afterwards. However, this is a situation where officers generally use their discretion and charges are hardly ever laid unless there are extenuating circumstances. What might prompt an officer to consider charges would be the size of the fire and its location or the presence of other debris (i.e., unburned garbage left in the fire pit).

There are other issues to consider when having a fire on the ice. Any leftover sticks or logs on the ice can become a hazard to snowmobilers and will eventually become floating debris in the water that can be struck by a boater in the springtime.

Reference:

Lakes and Rivers Improvement Act

36. (1) No person shall throw, deposit, discharge or permit the throwing, depositing or discharging of any refuse, substance or matter in a lake or river, whether or not the lake or river is covered by ice, or on the shores or banks of a lake or river under circumstances that conflict with the purposes of this Act. 1998, c. 18, Sched. I, s. 36