• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Bottom Bouncer

Hardcore Walleye

Some Old Guy

Nisswa,

That's why I stayed out of this but you are right we are all on the same team.

I like walleye. Bass are fun too. I love jigging for lakers.

For the opener I'll be staying close to home. Long gone are the days of camping on a lake. Way to many parties.

What time of year do you have trouble finding the walleye, Fishermedic?

Roger

R.T.R. Respect the resource!

Bear

It is good to see some banter on the board, things have been quiet lately and I am happy to see everyone, both walleye and bass fishermen are waiting anxiously to get out there.

I personally (all joking and poking aside) am going in this order. Crappies this week, they are really going right now, lake trout next week, as there is still lots of ice. Then will come beer canning for trout, a spring ritual, then the walleye opener, great eating, sometimes a little finicky until the water warms up. Then bass fishing, hopefully as long as winter goes away.....I have a bunch of new rods and reels and gear to try out and some tournaments lined up. Our Bass Club is possibly making a merge with the Club from Manitoba, so that will create some more opportunities.

Anyway what ever you fish for have fun and take a kid fishing. We are all on the same team....more or less.

Bruce

Chuck

All this yada yada yada about Bass Actually I like fishin for them lots of fun Sneak into a calm bay and throw out the Heddons Hell Horse... blub blub blub and... WACK..... nothing more exciting than seeing your lure flying back at you at 30 mph and stickin in your buddies leg That "il give ya something to talk about. Have I told you about my hook removal procedure??? It ain"t pretty... OH Look an Eagle!!! :wacko: Chuck

Git "er done

NWO Fishing Bum

"So how 'bout those 'Eye's, May long is coming quick. What is everyone doing to prepare for the Walleye opener?"

Unless things change soon people will be taking their ice gear out for walleye opener. Opener this year is almost as early as possible. We need some warm temperatures for awhile, then a good rain, then a hucking wind to get rid of the ice. On the brighter side, the big girls will be in shallow, easy-to-target areas.

Bear, you live on the Winnipeg River system! If you can't bang walleyes almost every trip out there'd be something wrong.

NWO Fishing Bum

Gone8to1248

I don't think it is any big secret that I enjoy fishing for BIG NORTHERN PIKE! When I catch Walleyes and Smallmouth Bass they are ussually incedental fish that I catch. This year I will be switching to targetting Walleyes and Smallies a lot more. Ine thing I have found out is that where I fish in a lake and the smallies and walleyes are there, so are the BIG Pike ready and waiting to take them off your line for you! If I do eat fish,other than from Red Lobster it is Walleye that are freshly caught! I will admit there is nothing like hooking into a Smallmouth that goes arial and runs around the boat on it's tail that gets the ole adrenlin flowing! For thier size they are a great sport fish to catch and normally pretty easy to release. But if you want some real fun go after Northerns on 8lb test line and try to land them! They can make some real great runs on that light line and it sure takes a lot of patience to catch them that way. One thing i have learnned about fishing up there is when I get a fish up along side of the boat don't be to quick to stick your hand down there to grab it, because you just might be reaching down when a water wolf northern comes flying up to take it away from you.

So it doesn't matter if your going after Walleyes,Smallmouth, Lakers or Northern Pike, the idea is just to have fun and be safe while your out there.

Keep a tight line and be seeing some of you out on the water this summer!

gone8to1248

Bernie

Northerns Rule! Walleyes and Bass Drool! :P:lol:

Guest RAMBO

I just love all fishing. Steelhead are #1 for me just because My house backs on to the Mcyntire river and all I have to do is go out my back door and fish for them without having to drag my dad up the North Shore :D . BUT, its important to remember that certain situations and controls draw different people to different fish which is why we have the amount of information we do on all those different fish. Its still fun to bash and banter though. With that said... STEELHEAD RULE!!!! :)

RAMBO

tracker

If you want walleye to jump out of the water like bass, put on 30 lb test line with a stiff rod and pull. Just like the TV shows. :D

Northerns on an ultra light, now thats's fun.

Tracker

Team NOSA Homepage

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

<')(((((>{

Bear
"So how 'bout those 'Eye's, May long is coming quick. What is everyone doing to prepare for the Walleye opener?"

Unless things change soon people will be taking their ice gear out for walleye opener. Opener this year is almost as early as possible. We need some warm temperatures for awhile, then a good rain, then a hucking wind to get rid of the ice. On the brighter side, the big girls will be in shallow, easy-to-target areas.

Bear, you live on the Winnipeg River system! If you can't bang walleyes almost every trip out there'd be something wrong.

NWO Fishing Bum

I keep a deep wide 14 footer with a 20 HP Yammmy at my dock. I ate walleye about 30 times last summer and didnt burn more than 3 gallons of gas. I get them off the dock and just around the corner at the mouth of our bay, there are tons since they implemented the slot size, they are really coming back.

Bear

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

I love fishing in rivers and streams. It is such an amazing experience to spend a day walking up or down a river, without seeing anyone else on your trek, spotting those amazing looking fishy spots, testing your luck, getting down to earth as close as you can, such beauty carved into our landscapes. It's hard not to be captivated by it. Thats a huge part of the appeal of river fishing for me. Fishing in lakes is no less of a love for me. I love the sheer strength and size of the lakes in our region, the boral canadian shield yields some of the most breathtaking sights around, and most of which are even better being seen from a boat. That is what draws me to fishing. Fishing for me is not species specific, sure, I have favourties, but I don't ever take credit away from one species to give it to another. If fishing was an indoor hobby, I'm sure there'd be less of us fishing. We need to remember what brought us to where we are now, and that is probably just a genuine love of nature, and a love of experiencing it any way we can.

Brodie K.

NoUseForAName_GW

walleye can be difficult to locate at time but when you do find them you can catch alot, and what the lack in fight they make up for by being tasty

bass seem to be easier to find for me, not necessarily the 4+lbs size but you can usually find a few to have fun fighting.

now pound for pound bass and steelhead fight about the same in my book, but steelies are in rivers and when a 5+ steelhead turns sideways in a heavy current it now becomes no contest, steelhead put up the best fight in my opinion and thats why there my species of choice, followed by walleye then bass. (no offence bass guys but i like eating fresh fish and nothing is better than fresh walleye.)

Gavin

Chuck

Come on Tell me these Jumbos don"t taste better than Walleye

P4070008.jpg

But Walleyes are pretty tasty

Chuck :D

Git "er done

Guest fishermedic
Nisswa,

That's why I stayed out of this but you are right we are all on the same team.

I like walleye. Bass are fun too. I love jigging for lakers.

For the opener I'll be staying close to home. Long gone are the days of camping on a lake. Way to many parties.

What time of year do you have trouble finding the walleye, Fishermedic?

Roger

I think it's the early spring and late fall that give me the most trouble. Sometimes I can catch a few fish but I do alot better during the dog days of summer than at these time. From what I read it should be the opposite! Thinking about it it's probably a matter of not knowing where to look in a lake for the fish. If they're in their summer teritory I can pick 'em off without a problem but move them off and I'm stumped. :wacko:

In the old days as a kid going out with my dad we used to troll spinners along the shore at what I now think is break-neck speed and caught a few fish. Then we switched to jigging and caught more fish so that's what I've stayed with. Now over the last few years I've done some reading and thinking about some "new" techniques that I've never tried but I haven't had a boat to get out in and put my new knowledge to the test. Actually alot of this info has come from my fishin' buddy and some of the guys on this site got him thinking. Last summer we got out and tried some of this new info, it was a great experimental two days but it was mid summer and the fish were in the spots they should have been. I've come to realise that those spinners have a place in my boat along with the jigs and now worm harnesses and even crankbaits. I need to learn how to fish these new presentations and more importantly I need to learn when and where to fish them.

So this spring is going to come late, the big fish should be shallow and easy to go after.... I have never caught a pickeral over 3 or 4 pounds, :blush: NO LAUGHING IT TAKES ALOT OT ADMIT THIS :lol:, so I'm excited about being able to go out and look for these big fish. Here's the problem, I've never caught one and I've only seen one or two caught so what kind of water do I look for and what do I use to catch them? River mouths are already in my mind but there must be other spots to look. Every fish in the lake can't possibly be in the same spot! So so I look for a shallow gravel bottom bay? Would a south facing bay be better than north facing? I would think that windswpet would be better than sheltered, it works in the summer but what about spawning and post spawn?

As you can see I have a ton of questions. I think the best part about it is that I can finally go out in my own boat and not have to rely on someone else to get me out on the water. I'm a fairly logical guy and with some time on the water with these new ideas I hope things will happen.

I'll ask about late fall when it gets closer! :lol:

Bryan

Guest fishermedic

I guess nobody wants to give out any free tips eh?!?! <_<

That's fine I'll just put my time in this spring and when it come time for the GWC.... we'll just see who can catch fish! :ph34r: Watch out boys, there's a new dog in town!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Mikie, I know you'll see this, we are SO finishing in last place now!!! Sorry!! :(

Guest bassmanjc

If you wan't the the true walleye experience. Tie a running shoe to your line, throw it over board, let it sink to the bottom and then reel it in. The excitement of a bite.. then reel in dead weight until you scoop it with a 36" net. Smallies all the way!!!

GC 54

There are so many great sites to go to find information on walleye fishing. Just google 'walleye fishing', you will never run out of reading material. One great site is Walleye Central. I highly recommend this site, lots of great articles to read.

http://www.walleyecentral.com/

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Guest fishermedic
There are so many great sites to go to find information on walleye fishing. Just google 'walleye fishing', you will never run out of reading material. One great site is Walleye Central. I highly recommend this site, lots of great articles to read.

http://www.walleyecentral.com/

Thanks George, I didn't expect a response to all my question, I'm new here and there aren't many fishmen that would give out that kind of info over the net (or in person for that matter) to a stranger. :)

I've actually spent some time on Walleye Central. It's a good site. I did find there was a ton of info on great lakes fishing which brings up another walleye question. Does anyone up here use planner boards on the inland lakes or are they more useful in the big water? While I was reading about them I was wondering how they would work for getting a crankbait out from the boat into a shallow bay. I've never actually seen a planner board in use so I don't know alot about them. Anyone up here use them?

With so many different techiniques out there that I haven't tried, all of the information I've been reading and all of the questions I have I feel like I've never fished walleye in my life! My brain is overloaded, I need to get on the water to put this new info into practice! The next week is supposed to be sunny and warm (+5 - +10) maybe we'll see some patches of grass by next weekend! :unsure:

NWO Fishing Bum

Walleye central is a good site. I've been on the discussion board there for about 6 years now. Usually check it twice daily right after TBF.

Hey Bassnanjc, you're clearly just not catching BIG enough walleye. Sure, pound-for-pound smallies fight a bit harder, but when was the last time you boated a 10lb.+ smallie around here?? I thought not! There are times and places for smallies, without a doubt! But the rest of the time, smallies are what you send the kids out after in their own boat, because they don't have the focus, presentation or technique for boating 'eyes. I too admit, having grown up on water that had both, while my father, uncles and grandfathers preferred walleye fishing, I preferred bass fishing. But as I got older and more adept, and moved to northwestern Ontario from cottage country down south, I slowly switched to consider walleye #1........I do still like bass fishing as well :D

NWO Fishing Bum

Bottom Bouncer

Oh ya did I mention I'm a hardcore "EASTER" guy. :lol: The whole family hunted for eggs during the "Transition" between breakfast and lunch. :lol: Just to let everyone know I found the most eggs 21 on the edge of the living room near the "Structure" of the couch. Unfortunately all three of my son's sustained bruising during the hunt. At one time or another I had to push all 3 kids in order to win. My 16 month old wasn't happy but that's competition.The wife and I rolled around the floor for the last one and I came out as the winner.She's pretty tough considering she due in 3 weeks with another boy. I told everyone to suck it up. My wife say's that I'm cut off, whatever that means. :D

REELBAIT

GC 54

Nisswa, I think she is telling you she has no more eggs, if you know what I mean. lol

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Bottom Bouncer

Thank God! :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

REELBAIT

Trevor Zimak
Nisswa, I think she is telling you she has no more eggs, if you know what I mean. lol

ahahahahahaha.....

OR you should empty the basket. :lol::lol::lol:

Guest fishermedic
ahahahahahaha.....

OR you should empty the basket. :lol::lol::lol:

He's gonna have to empty his basket on his own! :blink::lol: