• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
arvey

synthetic oil

arvey

anybody using synthetic oil in their outboard,mine is premix so i was wandering what they thought?

i know in an injector system it works good.

arvey

GC 54

Like a good mechanic will tell you, if your owners manual says to use synthetic then use it, if it dont say it then dont waste your money.

George Clark of TEAM CLARK

FIELD STAFF FOR TEAM SHIMANO PRO STAFF FOR D & R SPORTING GOODS PRO STAFF FOR LUND BOATS
Proudly Supported By: G.LOOMIS JACKALL POWER PRO NORTH COUNTRY CYCLE & SPORTS Treasurer of: Thunder Bay BASSmasters

Guest fishermedic

What about this for an argument.

Lets say a conventional oil meets the minimum requirements for your engine. After 5 years internal parts are starting to wear, after another 2 or 3 years that wear starts to affect the engines reliability and your repair bills start to increase.

On the other hand a synthetic oil greatly exceeds the minimum requirements fo ryour engine. After 5 years your engine is showing less wear, another 2 or 3 years you have less engine wear and your repair bills haven't seen the same increase as they would have with conventional oil.

Obviously this is oversimplified, there are a ton of variables that would contribute to engine wear and reliability but you get the idea. For me it comes down to weather or not I think the extra price of the synthetic is worth the added protection it would provide. In a 2-stroke outboard I don't know if the extra price would be worth it, maybe if it was one of them fancy high performance motors but for an old 25 horse, those things run forever no mater what you put in them.

Something to think about.

Bryan

Monks
What about this for an argument.

Lets say a conventional oil meets the minimum requirements for your engine. After 5 years internal parts are starting to wear, after another 2 or 3 years that wear starts to affect the engines reliability and your repair bills start to increase.

On the other hand a synthetic oil greatly exceeds the minimum requirements fo ryour engine. After 5 years your engine is showing less wear, another 2 or 3 years you have less engine wear and your repair bills haven't seen the same increase as they would have with conventional oil.

Obviously this is oversimplified, there are a ton of variables that would contribute to engine wear and reliability but you get the idea. For me it comes down to weather or not I think the extra price of the synthetic is worth the added protection it would provide. In a 2-stroke outboard I don't know if the extra price would be worth it, maybe if it was one of them fancy high performance motors but for an old 25 horse, those things run forever no mater what you put in them.

Something to think about.

Bryan

Some good points

I do believe that the older motors were made at differnet specs and that the average oil is fine. It will be intersting to see if the new breed of motors hold up as well as the old 2 strokes in the "lower hp".From 90 hp up no comparison in my mind. However with my etec and the new opti's they are oil specific for a reason, they are different engines. I run the best oil I can in my etec even though I had the option to run generic oil through it. And let me tell you when I woke up 5 days out of 9 on LOTW with 1-2 inches of ice she started every time within 2 seconds. These improved 2 strokes are impressive. I will say my buddies opti ran just as well until we drove home because it froze solid becuase he could not winterzie in the water like I did. Sory Merc folks had to get my digs in!

Gone8to1248

My E-TEC 90 came set up for Evinrude WD-50 which is programed into the computer. It is a synthectic blend. I had them drain the sytem and flush it out and then loaded it with Evinrude WD-100 which is a full synthetic oil. It uses half the amount of oil and is now programmed to run it.

Bernie

Oil is cheap compared to replacement parts and labor!

Guest fishintbay

I have 1990 40hp mariner oil injected 2 stroke should i use syntehic or not . i just bought to motor old owner just use norml 2 cycle . what r ur thoughts