• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Walleyeguy

Obonga Lake

Guest Walleyeguy

Looking on my Map Source program this lake looks huge. Anyone got any tips for success for walleye's on this lake? Thanks

Castnblast
Looking on my Map Source program this lake looks huge. Anyone got any tips for success for walleye's on this lake? Thanks

Obonga is huge if you are fishing from a canoe - or shore. As teenagers we used to camp at the first launch on the east side of the lake - and fish the mouth of Ottertooth Creek on the far west end of the lake. We had was a light, leaky 14' w/ a 9.9. So if the weather is decent, you can get around. A strong west, north west wind can whip the lake up pretty good. The lake consists of 3 main sections with two "narrows". Try there, or the mouth of the Kopka - either coming in or flowing out of the lake. Any standard wally tactic will work. Maybe troll lindy rigs and find some fish. If you find a pod drop the hook and jig em up.

Speaking of wally gear. Last weekend I did a short day trip with a few friends. We spent the morning fishing trout in a river then dropped the boat into Lake Walter just north of nipigon around 3pm. We were dragging jigs and blades and bait, poking around trying to find a few eaters with not much luck. After 30 fishless minutes my buddy ties on a white 4" Yum grub - no bait - and bangs a beauty fish as soon as he drops into the water. hmm. We take another short pass and right away he nails another one a little bigger. I think it was after 3 more quick 18" fish - the last one almost pulling the rod into the drink as he answers the call of nature into a bailing can - I threaten him with a fist fight if he doesn't throw me a freakin Yum grub to the back of the boat.

Anyway in a 4 hour fish we killed em with white Yum grubs. All quality fish. No bait. I've never really seen a plastic outfish organic to that that degree. Pretty cool.

Try a White Yum grub up at Obonga. See what happens. From here on in I won't leave home without them.

good luck.

Guest TheBeaver12

according to my backroad mapbook the walleye can reach large sizes, but i've never been so i dont know for sure

kopka lake is just before obonga, how is the fishing and is it possible to trailer in a boat

Guest Walleyeguy
according to my backroad mapbook the walleye can reach large sizes, but i've never been so i dont know for sure

kopka lake is just before obonga, how is the fishing and is it possible to trailer in a boat

I have never been to Kopka Lake, so I don't know anything about it. I will be trailering my boat to Obonga as there is a make shift boat launch at the camp that we are going to.

Guest Smack Um

You don't say your size of boat so I will assume you own a 14 ft and a 9.9hp engine. If that is the case I would try for Kenakskaniss Lake you can get to it down the Obonga Road. Access the lake via Maggotte Lake which is located on the Obonga Road and head down stream Kenakskaniss Lake is a part of the Kopka River System.

The Lakes are good for walleye and pike leave the boat in the water and let it down or up stream with your gear inside at the conjunction of these two lakes this can be done with little effort as the creek is of a fair size and water levels do not fluctuate up and down as much in the Armstrong area as they do in the Thunder Bay area.

Regards Smack Um

Guest Walleyeguy
You don't say your size of boat so I will assume you own a 14 ft and a 9.9hp engine. If that is the case I would try for Kenakskaniss Lake you can get to it down the Obonga Road. Access the lake via Maggotte Lake which is located on the Obonga Road and head down stream Kenakskaniss Lake is a part of the Kopka River System.

The Lakes are good for walleye and pike leave the boat in the water and let it down or up stream with your gear inside at the conjunction of these two lakes this can be done with little effort as the creek is of a fair size and water levels do not fluctuate up and down as much in the Armstrong area as they do in the Thunder Bay area.

Regards Smack Um

Thanks. but I was just wanting to fish in Obonga, the boat is a 1700 Superhawk with a 115 Opti. My trip is now delayed as the Opti has a power head that has a few owies in it. smith's have ordered up a new Powerhead, but I think I'll be lucky to get fishing with it within 2 weeks.

Guest Walleyeguy

Made it to Obonga, fishing was not too good, but we did get to eat 5 wallies for breakfast Monday Morning (between 2 of us). 2 days of fishing and only 5 keepers. two 14 inchers and 3 15's. We did catch and release several 8 to 10 inch wallies, so a good sign the lake is reproducing. Most fish were caught in 22 to 25 feet and on leeches.

Guest Smack Um

Yes you would be better off fishing Caribou Lake if you are going to go this distance with a big boat make it count and carry a GPS on board it wouldn't hurt. You might find this lake in the Brodie Street Library under depth charts ask the girls at the front desk for help.

Regards: Smack Um

Guest Walleyeguy

Thanks, I have been to Caribou several times. I have had reasonable success Lake trout fishing there, but have yet to hook a walleye. Yes you are right about the GPS there, very big lake and easy to get lost in the islands at the North end. Also handy to mark the boulders that are all over the lake, so you don't hit them more than once. And it can blow up real good.