• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nonus

Tap bits

Guest Nonus

Anyone happen to have a 6-48 or an 8-40 tap bit that I can borrow for a little bit?

I stripped the scope mount threads on my receiver and need to rethread them, I have the little t handle for them just don't have the proper size tap for it.

It would be used on soft aluminum that is about 1/8th inch thick or so.

Thanks.

eyelander

Sorry, not in my tap kit, those are odd sizes. You might be able to pick them up from Intercity Industrial Supply though. They might not be on display, just ask the guys at the desk.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

eyelander

yeah, they are only open something like 9 am until noon on saturdays, 8 am til 4 pm mon-fri.

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Guest Nonus

Found out that were is a normal size 6-48 and an oversized 6-48. However I think I will just go the next size bigger route and never have to worry about stripping the threads again. I am going to go 8-40 and hopefully IIS has it for less than 10 bucks and some screws too.

For anyone buying a Ruger 10/22, the aluminum is stupidly soft and those threads strip easily so BE VERY CAREFUL :D

Kayaker

You might be better off to have a gunsmith retap your holes. I don't think you will get an 8-40 NS tap from an industrial supply store, I believe this size is mainly used by gunsmiths. Maybe try an 8-36 NF and a torx head screw see whats available and don't forget a drop of loctite threadlocker 222. Go easy on the tightening.

just my 2cents

Guest Nonus

Yeah I don't think I will get it here, probably will order it from Brownells and get the proper tap and screw.

Guest Nonus
You might be better off to have a gunsmith retap your holes. I don't think you will get an 8-40 NS tap from an industrial supply store, I believe this size is mainly used by gunsmiths. Maybe try an 8-36 NF and a torx head screw see whats available and don't forget a drop of loctite threadlocker 222. Go easy on the tightening.

just my 2cents

I have read others tapping the hole with 8-32 thread and having no issues. That threading is a much more common size too. I have an 8-32 tap but it looks a little worn out on the first bit, not sure if it will clean up or not.

I will probably just drill out the holes to accept the number 8 and thread them with a 32TPI tap.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I called IIS and they said that they don't have uncommon threads like that.

Guest Nonus

I got the tap, drill and 4 screws, I went with 8-40.

Now all I gotta do is get access to a drill press sometime and get'er done.

Haven't done any real target shooting with it in ages :(

Guest Nonus

There fixed my 1022 in less than 30 minutes. Used all hand tools and everything is perfect. Now I can go out target shooting again.