• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jayfishin

Ice Fishing Shelters

Master Baiter

Well I got my Team Wild 3 man Shelter at the end of last season and only had it out a few times, the only thing is that the material is alittle lite! but other than than I luv it. Keeps me nice a nd warm,the holes dark, and there's a ton of room inside. Highly recommend getting a portable shelter that flips out and not one of the hub style ones...... the hubs work but are a pain in the a$$ to set up in the wind! Where as the flip outs with the sleds are so much quicker and easier!!

post-25-1260397891_thumb.jpg

post-25-1260401051_thumb.jpg

If your not a Master Baiter, you'll never pull the big one!!

th_logo_teamnosa.jpg th_NSSAlogo.gif

Jayfishin
:) well set up my new Canvas Craft shelter Saturday night. The frame is round tent poles not square like the Otter's and it's attached a little different, but seems fine. Not sure if the Otter's are the best anyway. The material feels like quality and not much heavier than an uninsulated shelter. Set it up outside and sparked up the big buddy heater to full and in 15 minutes it was +30 Celsius in there. The white interior was easy to light up with only a flashlight. I don't know if the dark interiors would attract more fish. This is my first shelter and I didn't mind spending a little more money to be comfortable. I bought everything through A1 distributors since George deals with Otter products and Canvas Craft designed the shelter to fit the the Otter sleds. I've only got night photos, will post some day photos from Whitefish this Saturday! :D

Nice looking unit...price if I may ask?

Jay

Guest doddzy
Nice looking unit...price if I may ask?

Jay

I bought the shelter separate since this is the first time A1 has brought this in and the sled is a stock item. So the shelter was $705 with tax, Mag sled $155 + tax, hyfax $59 + tax, cover $59 + tax. Total $1014 with tax. I used my old boat seats and made a support for them and I already have a hitch. Can't wait to try it out! B)

Mr. Canoehead

Last year I got a Shappell Ice House 6000. Love it! It's like the Ice Cube, hub style and lots of room (6x6 on the ground and more at the hubs). No problem to fish with 3 people and 4 is possible. I'll contradict what's been said above and say that I have no problem setting up in the wind, even on superior. It did take one or 2 times figure out a system and i find i need a portable drill to predrill peg holes. If it's not windy then you can't go wrong, if it's windy you need to peg it down on the up-wind side before you pop it up. I can do it solo by kneeling on the tent while pegging it down. The fabric on the shappel is durable and flame-retardent ( i tested on a piece of extra fabric and it just melted, didn't catch).

Looking at the forecast I'll be busting it out today!

Guest BenBeattie

I drop in here every now and again but decided to register so I could comment on this post.

I bought a clam Fish Trap Guide last year and used it hard. I used it about 60-70 days on the ice last season, towed behind my snowmachine.

Here are my observations...

Tent/fabric & tent frame - Held up reasonably well. There are some areas where the canvas is worn thin from rubbing on the metal frame.

Tow bar - flawless

Base/Toboggan - garbage. They aren't deep enough to withstand the conditions of NW Ontario. I completely wore though the runners by the end of February and subsequently cracked the base. If you hit slush, the toboggan isn't high enough to ride up and over it.. .it plows. I also ruined the cover because of this.

Next time it will be an otter for me... like Simon said, the sleigh/toboggan/base can't be beat.

Jayfishin

Interesting...I was wondering what the Frabill sled is like? That guide trailer is fairly low to the ice 8" I think like th nanook. I think the yukon sled is much higher and would fair better. Comments?

I have priced the Otter shelters but have not seen them packaged with a sleigh in the price. From what I can gather adding the sled to the price puts them a a couple hundred dollars more than the others (Clams, Frabill, etc) Eskimos are nice but pricey.

Jay

Guest doddzy
Interesting...I was wondering what the Frabill sled is like? That guide trailer is fairly low to the ice 8" I think like th nanook. I think the yukon sled is much higher and would fair better. Comments?

I have priced the Otter shelters but have not seen them packaged with a sleigh in the price. From what I can gather adding the sled to the price puts them a a couple hundred dollars more than the others (Clams, Frabill, etc) Eskimos are nice but pricey.

Jay

D&R has Otter shelters that include the sled and seats, medium package for $799 I believe, try the otter website, it has all the size packages available