• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smack Um

Zip Stoves

Guest Smack Um

Has any one heard of the Zip Stove I am thinking of buying one. the website is as follows: http://www.zzstove.com/mcart

The package I am looking at is: Part111C-Sierra Stove W/Complete Upgrade Kit in Stainless Steel 2lbs 6oz. 79$

It burns: twigs bark pine cones etc. Reviews of the unit say it will boil water in 5 minutes a small amount of starter fuel is required or dry birch bark etc.

A double A battery to operate the fan which lasts 6 hours on high.

I thought it would be a fine adidtion to canoe camping as it requires no petroleum based or propane based fuel( less to carry) and would also save money.

Reportedly the units work quite well. People using the unit say 1 AA battery has lasted them 1 week cooking breakfast, lunch and super on it. Titanium models are available but at twice the price but I can not see the benifit at that price.

Smack Um

Kayaker

great product, has been around for several years now in different forms, if weight is not a concern the s/s would be fine I have used similar without the fan. with the 1 lb bottles of propane getting up to the $5 mark this stove would pay for itself in short order. I was carring the tri fuel tablets but getting harder to find at a good price,

Buck 120

If small propane bottles are a concern, try the refiller adapter.

Just do a google search and this is the description:

Want the portability of the 1lb bottles but the cost effectiveness of the 20 lb cylinders ? Then this is for you.

Why use the 1 lb bottle once and throw it away when you can refill them from your 20 lb BBQ tank.

The 1 lb bottle will not survive infinite refills, but whichever make of 1 lb bottle you get, you will get it refilled often enough to pay for this adapter during your first 20 lb cylinder.

Just follow these 8 easy steps for best results:

# Chill 1lb bottle in freezer for 15 to 20 minutes

# Connect adapter to 20lb tank (wrench tight)

# Connect 1 lb bottle to thread (hand tight)

# Turn 20 lb tank upside down

# Turn on valve at 20 lb tank for 1 minute

# Return tank and cylinder to upright position

# Disconnect 1 lb bottle

# Check 1 lb bottle for leaks: place small amount of soap and water mixture onto 1 lb bottle opening and relief valve - if bubbles appear discard 1 lb bottle in safe place.

Not just a 3 month season but a 12 month obsession!!!

Kayaker
If small propane bottles are a concern, try the refiller adapter.

Just do a google search and this is the description:

Want the portability of the 1lb bottles but the cost effectiveness of the 20 lb cylinders ? Then this is for you.

Why use the 1 lb bottle once and throw it away when you can refill them from your 20 lb BBQ tank.

The 1 lb bottle will not survive infinite refills, but whichever make of 1 lb bottle you get, you will get it refilled often enough to pay for this adapter during your first 20 lb cylinder.

Just follow these 8 easy steps for best results:

# Chill 1lb bottle in freezer for 15 to 20 minutes

# Connect adapter to 20lb tank (wrench tight)

# Connect 1 lb bottle to thread (hand tight)

# Turn 20 lb tank upside down

# Turn on valve at 20 lb tank for 1 minute

# Return tank and cylinder to upright position

# Disconnect 1 lb bottle

# Check 1 lb bottle for leaks: place small amount of soap and water mixture onto 1 lb bottle opening and relief valve - if bubbles appear discard 1 lb bottle in safe place.

I believe this practice is not legal and where it is they are not to be transported. Even though you may have done this a thousand times , it,s the thousand and one time you have to watch out for Refilling disposable tanks is dangerous!!!