• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Steelhead Slowdown

Guest FreshwaterFisherman

Hello all, I've been fishing steelhead for about 5 years with the last 3 yielding the most notable success. This year however is the first year I have dedicated a fair amount of time to fishing for them in the fall. It started off great with almost every trip averaging 3-4 fish for me, some trips closer to the double digits between me and a friend. The problem is that I have noticed a decline in the number of fish I am catching as we get closer to winter and ice over. I've always been under the impression that the fish that come up the rivers in the fall false run will stay in the rivers right up to the time of ice over, and in many cases will stay in the river all winter. So, what I am asking is, is it expected to have the numbers of fish decrease, or am I losing my touch haha. Anyone else out there this fall notice a similar trend? Any tips that might assist me with getting my groove back? Anything would be much appreciated, thanks again.

Brodie K.

Mykiss
Hello all, I've been fishing steelhead for about 5 years with the last 3 yielding the most notable success. This year however is the first year I have dedicated a fair amount of time to fishing for them in the fall. It started off great with almost every trip averaging 3-4 fish for me, some trips closer to the double digits between me and a friend. The problem is that I have noticed a decline in the number of fish I am catching as we get closer to winter and ice over. I've always been under the impression that the fish that come up the rivers in the fall false run will stay in the rivers right up to the time of ice over, and in many cases will stay in the river all winter. So, what I am asking is, is it expected to have the numbers of fish decrease, or am I losing my touch haha. Anyone else out there this fall notice a similar trend? Any tips that might assist me with getting my groove back? Anything would be much appreciated, thanks again.

Brodie K.

Hi Brodie:

Fall steelhead may move in and out of rivers depending on flow and temperatures. Some rivers have overwintering populations that may move upstream to headwater areas and out of the area you are fishing. Overwintering steelhead appear to be more active when they first enter tributaries, then sluggish and less lightly to bite as water temperatures drop. Some anglers may have noticed a decline in their steelhead fishing this fall the resulting from the poor 2005, 2006 and 2007 year classes (hot dry summers). If you require more info drop me a PM.