• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

beercan

1995 Polaris XLT 600 Won't Start

beercan

Just bought a used machine and took it out yesterday for a trial run. It started 2 pulls and was warmed up prior to riding. My son rode for a couple of hours, stopping and starting fine and was riding on trails/new snow. The machine sat for about an hour and wouldn't work after that. When I pulled the cord, it wouldn't budge, almost as if it was seized however, we were eventually able to pull it out. It's not seized and the recoil is fine. It still won't fire/start. Oil is good, coolant is good. Can anybody help?

Guest drk
Just bought a used machine and took it out yesterday for a trial run. It started 2 pulls and was warmed up prior to riding. My son rode for a couple of hours, stopping and starting fine and was riding on trails/new snow. The machine sat for about an hour and wouldn't work after that. When I pulled the cord, it wouldn't budge, almost as if it was seized however, we were eventually able to pull it out. It's not seized and the recoil is fine. It still won't fire/start. Oil is good, coolant is good. Can anybody help?

Now that you got the cord to pull out, is there any compression?

Guest drk
Yes

How much on each? I only ask because it could be that it started to over heat just enough to stick a ring which stopped it from pulling over until it freed up, but it could be a number of things. You'll have to go through it and start with the basics. Spark, fuel, compression and go from there.

mmgg

Carb problems float stuck or adjusted wrong? Sounds like the bottom end is flooded.

you'll have to clean the carb, may be choke stuck open, or

first remove the plugs,do you have spark,?,

next if the plugs are wet dry them,the wet one will be the problem carb

turn off the gas ,pull it over a bunch of times ,,throttle open, , twice with the machine on its side

put the plugs back in

pull it a couple times, turn the fuel on , pull and it should fire up.

It will run shittty,, run it for ,a coulpe minutes on the stand at rpm to clear the gas.

Guest JFM

I bought a 1996 XLT last year and had a similar problem. It wasn't a problem if it sat for an hour but if it sat for a week it would not start. Gas was leaking into the crank. There is a bolt in each one of the cylinders on the front side (exhaust side). Take the bolts out and drain the gas into a cointainer if possible so you don't start a fire when you get going. Replace the bolts and try to start.

I have found that as long as I shut the gas off when not in use I do not have a problem. I was going to change the jets but never got around to it.

I found help on this on the web going through some of the snowmobile chats but can't remember what the site was.

Good luck.

naden
I bought a 1996 XLT last year and had a similar problem. It wasn't a problem if it sat for an hour but if it sat for a week it would not start. Gas was leaking into the crank. There is a bolt in each one of the cylinders on the front side (exhaust side). Take the bolts out and drain the gas into a cointainer if possible so you don't start a fire when you get going. Replace the bolts and try to start.

I have found that as long as I shut the gas off when not in use I do not have a problem. I was going to change the jets but never got around to it.

I found help on this on the web going through some of the snowmobile chats but can't remember what the site was.

Good luck.

If it floods when the snowmachine is just sitting it is usually because your float bowl inlet needle and seat are leaking and need to be replaced

beercan
If it floods when the snowmachine is just sitting it is usually because your float bowl inlet needle and seat are leaking and need to be replaced

It's the water pump...anyone know where I can can cheap parts???

Guest drk
It's the water pump...anyone know where I can can cheap parts???

Figured it was something like that. Dirty carbs or bad needles and seats don't stop the recoil from pulling out. Did it cause any damage that your aware of? Not sure where to get the cheapest parts but I normally give Overhill Sports a call.

http://www.overhillsports.com/index.html

beercan

thanks for the info...i've sent an email to overhill...we'll see what happens...next time I buy a used machine I'll post for volunteers to come with me...which, could be soon

Guest drk
thanks for the info...i've sent an email to overhill...we'll see what happens...next time I buy a used machine I'll post for volunteers to come with me...which, could be soon

High maintenance toys. Ride 'em for an hour, work on 'em for two. Don't expect to get an answer anytime soon from Overhill. They're a little slow at answering email at times.