• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Abes

Wolves in Marathon....

Abes

I just heard on the radio the they are having problems with wolves in Marathon. They have been sited on residential streets and on cross country ski runs. It also stated that a trapper has trapped three of the wolves already and they are asking for all children to stay inside for the time being. I'm no trapper but I'm assuming when these wolves are being trapped that they are killed in the process. I have never heard of a person being attacked by wolves and if wolves don't usually attack people then arn't they being a little extreme in killing these animals if that's what they are doing ? If people are at serious risk then I could understand killing the animal but could they not just dart them,capture the pack and have them moved or would that just cost to much money for human ignorance. It is possible that I am way off here and that they are not just killing the animals and people may be at serious risk, it was only a 30sec blurb I heard on the radio....I guess we will find out in the paper in the next couple of days, what do any of you other outdoorsman think?

Abes.... :ninja:

Bear

I just heard on the radio the they are having problems with wolves in Marathon. They have been sited on residential streets and on cross country ski runs. It also stated that a trapper has trapped three of the wolves already and they are asking for all children to stay inside for the time being. I'm no trapper but I'm assuming when these wolves are being trapped that they are killed in the process. I have never heard of a person being attacked by wolves and if wolves don't usually attack people then arn't they being a little extreme in killing these animals if that's what they are doing ? If people are at serious risk then I could understand killing the animal but could they not just dart them,capture the pack and have them moved or would that just cost to much money for human ignorance. It is possible that I am way off here and that they are not just killing the animals and people may be at serious risk, it was only a 30sec blurb I heard on the radio....I guess we will find out in the paper in the next couple of days, what do any of you other outdoorsman think?

Abes.... :ninja:

Abes we are also seeing an increase in the numbers of wolves in the Kenora area. We frequently see them on the Winnipeg River, near where I live. My neighbour who is retired from the MNR told me they are coming to the food source. There are so many deer in this area and they are concentrating closer to the city. It is not uncommon for me to see 50 deer on any given day between my house and downtown. Deer are everywhere. The wolves are just doing what comes naturally, which is chasing the easy prey. As far as them attacking humans, apparently they will, under three general situations, which are

Rabid - where wolves have gone mad because the rabies virus has infected their brains.

Predatory - unprovoked attacks where wolves appear to regard humans as prey.

Defensive - where wolves are provoked by people to attack, such as when trapped or cornered.

I am very leery of wolves as I have been followed by them in the past while hunting, I think they were more curious than anything. I personally am very cautious around them and as with any wild animal use caution and give them the "right of way".

Bear

crisop

abes it was already in the paper on friday i beleive, front page too

2017 Dog Lake Open Champion

Line Cutter

Fishy AF

Guest TerryK

Destruction of habitat, more deer closer to human inhabited areas, acclimation to human presence and natural food shortages are all contributing factors. I've had quite a few close encounters with wolves over the years but thankfully all resulted in me seeing only the rear end of the animal rapidly leaving the area!

Gone8to1248

Destruction of habitat, more deer closer to human inhabited areas, acclimation to human presence and natural food shortages are all contributing factors. I've had quite a few close encounters with wolves over the years but thankfully all resulted in me seeing only the rear end of the animal rapidly leaving the area!

Terry

I'm with you on the loss of habitat creating people and animals sharing the same places. When I lived up by Chicago is was common at night on my way home to see coyotes in groups walking down major streets going to the cooling ponds by the big office buildings to catch the geese that were hanging around there. The geese tend to stay year round because some of the ponds don't freeze and they have open water and grass to eat. One night while paying my toll on Army Road Trail Plaza a whole pack of them ran across 12 lanes of tollway to get from oneside to the other. Also because of all the forest preserves that are up there the deer population has also grown in size because of no hunting. Again it's not uncommon to have deer feeding along the streets alodside of these preserves. It seems that the animals have learnned to adapt to have humans around but humans are having a hard time doing the same.

Bernie

Gone8to1248