• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Metis Man

More Questions Re: Native and Non-Native Fishing

Guest Metis Man

OK, I've read most of the posts about a non-aboriginal and aboriginal hunting togeather. They cannot hunt or chase game for each other, but can assist after with the cleaning, transport etc. My question is this, How does that transfer to fishing. My friend, who is status indian and I fish togeather ( in the same boat ) in his tready area. If he is say fishing with two rods or has over the limit for fish, would I be charged by a CO since I'm in the boat? Would this been seen as assisting him if I'm the driver of the boat ? Is it different if we use his boat or mine? We fish togeather all the time and often debate this issue. The good thing is, we never have to worry about going over any limits :P

Is there anywhere that this info is posted on the net ?

If so, could you provide a link so that people such as myself can know what we (non-aboriginals) can do while hunting and fishing with our aboriginals friends.

Guest MNR

The rules are the same for fishing as they are for hunting. You cannot help your friend exercise his/her treaty rights (i.e. catch fish for them) to hunt or fish and he/she cannot fill you limit of fish. You can be in the same boat; truck etc. and you can help clean the fish, moose, bear etc. An officer (OPP, Conservation Officer) would have to be able to prove who caught the fish, see how many lines you were tending (we sometimes dress in plain clothes and fish right beside you) or if it was out of season, that you were angling.