• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Buck 120

Cougar in town - Alice Avenue

Guest Munshaw

About a month ago a lady that I always see walking her dog behind the LPH said that she had seen a really big cat with a huge tail (cougar) down one of the trails back there. Not confirming or denying, but I found rather large prints, from either a HUGE dog or ??? And also what looked to be the biggest pile of cat crap I've ever seen. Mostly hair in it.

Guest Ottis
About a month ago a lady that I always see walking her dog behind the LPH said that she had seen a really big cat with a huge tail (cougar) down one of the trails back there. Not confirming or denying, but I found rather large prints, from either a HUGE dog or ??? And also what looked to be the biggest pile of cat crap I've ever seen. Mostly hair in it.

I was just reading through the newest OOD magazine and there is an article about recovering the cougar population as required under the new Endangered Species Act, if they are indeed still present. To quote the OOD article and the OMNR:

"To date, we have collected about 30 pieces of evidence to indicate that cougars do indeed roam Ontario landscapes," said MNR Senior Research Scientist Dr. Rick Rosatte. He theorizes that these are a mix of native, escaped/released captives, and/or immigrants from western North America. "MNR staff are investigating credible sightings and installing trail cameras to monitor wildlife diversity, as well as the presence or absence of cougar."

That's the most I've heard from the MNR on the issue. As I mentioned before, I don't think there is a huge genetic difference between s. american and n. american cougars and unfortunately it is blurring the evidence for the presence or absence of a remenent native eastern cougar population.

Guest Munshaw

If I had to guess (and a guess it is) why the MNR haven't confirmed cougar sightings in the area, I would say that its a financial thing. Think about it: how much money would then have to be put toward cougar studies, habitat monitoring, impact studies for industry etc. etc. The list could go on. Anytime Buchanan wanted to log somewhere, a cougar impact study would have to be done. When Lac Des Iles wants to expand further across the highway, a year-long impact study on cougar populations would need to be done. MNR is already strapped for resources, and this would just be another pile of work thrown on their lap. It may be one aspect of it anyway.