• Donate to T.B.F.

T.B.F. is dependant on donations from users like you! Thank you to those that have made a donation! All donations go back into upgrading the site!

25% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest idlehand

Steelhead fishing

Guest idlehand

Need some advice

I am a lifelong fisherman, usually only fish Walleye and Norhern. I am interested in learning all I can about Steelhead. I now live in Thunder Bay. Any advice on where, when and how I may start would be appreciated. Best places to try, when, where?? Techniques?? Are they a good eating fish, How would you best prepare them???

I am going to speak with the guys at DNR as well as som e of the Bait shops, but thought this form would be a good place to start.

Thanks

Guest Swan_Dive

Iam in the same boat, just started doing heavy steelheading last spring and the only thing I can really tell you is to get out as much as you can, do alot of research on the internet to figure out the best times to be out there. I went to DnR last season and they helped me out alot so hopefully they can do the same for you. Once you learn a few techniques practice them as much as you can. I am yet to catch a steel in a bigger river but have done pretty good on little creeks. Good luck

swany

RLK
Need some advice

I am a lifelong fisherman, usually only fish Walleye and Norhern. I am interested in learning all I can about Steelhead. I now live in Thunder Bay. Any advice on where, when and how I may start would be appreciated. Best places to try, when, where?? Techniques?? Are they a good eating fish, How would you best prepare them???

I am going to speak with the guys at DNR as well as som e of the Bait shops, but thought this form would be a good place to start.

Thanks

Fish any river that flows into Lake Superior. Fishing usually gets started around the second or third week of April and runs untill about the end of May. Everything depends on temperature and water flow.Fishing usually gets good when the water temperature hits around 42 to 44 F. Using a float or drifting yarn, spawn bag or fly close to the bottom are the more popular techniques. Use at least an eight foot rod, longer is better, and a good reel spooled with quality 10# line and 8# leader and you should be good to go. It is best to talk to someone in the know to show you how to rig up and fish properly. You will save yourself alot of time and frustration buy learning from fellow steelheaders. Join the Northshore Steelheaders Association and attend meetings and ask questions. Talk to the guys at DNR and they will be more than willing to get you headed in the right direction. Go to the Neebing River by Churchill high school or the McIntyre River by the University and watch and talk to the people fishing. Most people will help you out. As for eating steelhead i seldom keep fish but i like them smoked, poached with lemon pepper sprinkled on after it is cooked or BBQ. Slab fish, sprinkle with paprika,lemon pepper and drizzle with butter. Skin side down and don't over cook. Enjoy and good luck.

NWO Fishing Bum

idlehand,

Someone like yourself shows up a few times every year and certainly every spring, looking for steelhead information. To start, you should be looking through the archives....look back at threads in April-May last year and the year prior for people seeking steelhead information. There is tons of info. Despite what some may think, there are very few secrets with regard to the general location of steelhead around here. Catching them however requires refinement of presentation/technique and timing.

A couple weak year classes are coming through; combined with a seemingly ever-expanding steelhead crowd may lower average numbers this spring.

NWO Fishing Bum